DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DVC Feedback! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-feedback/)
-   -   DVC 12 - Not Gonna Do It - Lorinda Norton (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-feedback/116671-dvc-12-not-gonna-do-lorinda-norton.html)

Lorinda Norton March 10th, 2008 02:08 AM

DVC 12 - Not Gonna Do It - Lorinda Norton

This movie should have been “An American Music Production.” Mason, Brian, and Benji work there, Rich is the audio engineer upstairs and Marv, Tyler and I are teachers at the store. They are a great bunch of guys, and Brian helped make this the easiest challenge I’ve ever shot. This was his film debut, by the way.

Last fall we lost our dear friend and owner of the store, Don Christensen, to cancer. He was only 51. Don not only left behind his beautiful wife and two school-age kids, he left a huge hole that will never be filled, plus a wonderful legacy. I wouldn’t have the great friends you saw (and didn’t see) in this movie if it weren’t for Don.

Hope you like our little flick. We sure had fun making it!

Shot with the Canon XH A1—I think I used an existing custom preset but I’m not sure. :) If anyone would like to download the 67MB version to see a prettier HD version of it, do the “right click and save” routine from my Web site.

Jim Montgomery March 10th, 2008 09:32 AM

Lorinda

Sorry to here about your friend. As usual production quality was good, however I never did get what the issue was with the shorts. Now if he was wearing those "mini" shorts are the girls are into, I could understand!

Thanks for all your efforts on this one, it was fun.

Jim

Robert Martens March 10th, 2008 03:37 PM

My deepest condolences to you on the loss of your friend, Lorinda. Sounds like a hell of a guy.

Someone tell me I'm not crazy, am I the only one who read the title and immediately pictured Dana Carvey as George Bush? "Nah Gaa Daa." I'm going to have that stuck in my head for the rest of the day. "Wouldn't be prudent."

An all around solid entry, as everyone has come to expect. I have audio quibbles, but I know it can be difficult getting microphones where you want them, especially in peoples' places of business, so I can deal with it. It's all intelligible, I'm happy to report, so a little echo or noise isn't the end of the world.

The little eyebrow raise after "Besides, I'm your best sales guy" got me pretty good, I enjoyed that. It's the little things, really; the tiny details that count when it comes to characters telling their employees how poor a job they do. That was Mason, if I'm not mistaken? I recognize him, he's good. Keep casting him in things.

I liked the overall lighthearted nature of the movie, though I wonder at an area so conservative it can't stand shorts, but makes no note of a gentleman's fanny pack. Not that there's anything wrong with fanny packs, mind you, but from the sound of things, the populace would be a bit put off by a thing like that.

Interesting reaction the owner of the nail salon has, too. A guy's standing there with a sign, "Down with pants", and she decides to just bring him in off the street and hire him. She's lucky he didn't subscribe to the literal interpretation of the phrase.

Lorinda Norton March 10th, 2008 04:17 PM

The concept was supposed to be absurd, and there was supposed to be a little humor in the absurdity of it all. Obviously, I have some work to do in pulling that off. Or maybe I’ve just been hanging out with the guys at the store too much. ;) I will say, though, that this was a case of art imitating life. Brian does get comments in the winter time about the shorts, and Marv does insist on teaching day in and out in overalls. But I just think, "that's musicians for ya."

As for the audio, I didn’t plan on using what was shot at any of the shops, but then it became apparent that people might not realize he was job hunting and getting turned down. I decided (and I think rightly so) that poor audio would be better than none.

By the way, Robert, we gave Brian a little grief about the fanny pack. He informed us that's NOT what it is. We had to take his word for it. :)

Thanks for the sympathy. Yes, Don was one of the neatest people on the planet.

Jesse Steele March 10th, 2008 04:33 PM

Excellent idea! taken right out of everyday life. So funny. I like all the location shots. That added alot of production quality. Great story! Down with Pants! is that the same as will drop pants for food?

Josh Chesarek March 10th, 2008 06:20 PM

I liked it a lot. As I have said in another post I am not sure why but its the simple funny stories that stick with me as they keep a smile on my face. I am sorry to hear about your friend though. The only thing that would have put it over the top for me as another said is if you had gotten him to wear some really short shorts :)

Joseph Tran March 10th, 2008 09:09 PM

So, how'd you like the camera so far, Linda?

Great storyline. Didn't expect it to end that way... maybe I found it extra funny because my mom used to be a manicurist... heheh.

My favorite shot was the shot at the mechanics. Very creative, and difficult to get, I'm sure. And the echoing sound made it sound like we, as the audience, were watching from a distance. Perhaps if you made that kind of sound consistent throughout his search for a new job -- almost like a montage of sorts. (caught the ADR at the suit store, btw... ;-) nice)

The music is very nice too, especially during his search for a "shorts-accomodating" job.

I believe this is a great movie to dedicate to your friend. It's nice that you did that.

Cheers.

Alex Chamberlain March 10th, 2008 09:34 PM

Looks like you're doing pretty well with that new A1! I really enjoyed the ending of this one, and felt like the "journey" was worthwhile and enjoyable too. You've already discussed the few spots where the audio is a bit funny, so I think the only other feedback I can leave would be a matter of personal taste. I would like to have seen this one with a few more camera angles in each little segment. For instance, when the employer and employee are talking at the beginning, an over-the shoulder shot looking from one to the other would have added some spice, but like I say, that may just be personal taste. I really like the second shot in (00:07:00) translating right. That adds a look of real professionalism. Great job!

Lorinda Norton March 10th, 2008 10:10 PM

Funny you would mention the benefit of different angles, Alex, since I usually try for that very thing. Unfortunately, with the guys standing where I wanted them, I would have needed to be on the counter to shoot over Brian’s shoulder, and over Mason’s shoulder would have blown out my background (glass door and huge windows!). We shot during business hours so I felt a bit rushed, as well.

Josh, we tried to get Brian to wear an apron in the last shot, but he drew the line. As for the short shorts, I don’t think I really would want to see that. :)

Joseph, I like your suggestion about the audio! I’ll try to keep it in mind. About the mechanic’s shop, the clip I had to use under the car drives me crazy every time I see it, but it was just too tight a squeeze for me with that camera. It didn't help that I kept running over my hair with their little dolly, or whatever those things are called. (Gosh, I live on a farm and can't remember what they're called!)

Speaking of the camera….I love it! Now I just have to learn it.

Thanks for the comments, guys. It’s much appreciated.

Hugh DiMauro March 10th, 2008 10:14 PM

What a Wonderful First HD Movie!

Well, Lorinda, once again you charmed us with your classic style and wit that only you can deliver. Without even knowing who made this movie, the DVINFO old timers saw your fingerprint all over this one. For starters, that signature silky smooth opening track shot did not disappoint. Are you sure Brian isn’t really Danny Bonaduce hiding out in Idaho? HAHAH! Your attention to detail on this movie was right on. When Brian delivers the line “Besides, I’m your best sales guy!” the dude in the back behind Mason looks up sharply with that “What did I just hear?” look. I laughed out loud! On the cutaway to Brian’s shorts, you just didn’t pan up, you craned up his entire body! Ahhh, you and that marvelous camera crane!

The absurdity of the premise is what makes this so dadgummed funny! That’s why I just went with it. The magic lay in the fact that Mason had fired him for a silly reason, which makes him still a likeable boss! And, we all want to like Mason. That's why the premise works! Had he been fired for a "real" reason, the movie would not have been so funny and Mason would have looked like a meanie. Poor guy was fired because of his shorts! Did you see those tree trunks for legs! What a hoot! Wigs out the customers? What a line! I rooted for him the whole time. I even laughed out loud when he took a swipe at poor old Marv who just slowly lumbers along in those baggy overalls, oblivious to the drama unfolding behind him. And, by gollies, Brian sticks with his principles and walks. Good for him! Like I said, I rooted for Brian. Another funny little touch was Brian’s brief struggle with the coat rack. Oh, those hilarious little gold nuggets of yours. I enjoyed how Mason put the goateed guy in his place, too. You anchored the premise firmly in the opening music store scenes and never beat the idea to death in succeeding scenes by cleverly inserting quick moving vignettes of the various folks comically lambasting him for his dress style. I loved the clothing store salesman and want to thank you for the happy ending. What a well shot and visually beautiful movie. That camera of yours is something and you sure know how to use it. You’ve honored the memory of Don Christensen in a wonderful way.

By the way, I highly suggest you folks take the time to download the high resolution version of this movie. The visuals are stunning and really do justice to Lorinda’s hard production work. Great job!

Lorinda Norton March 10th, 2008 10:24 PM

Careful there, Hugh. It sounds like you think too much like I do, and that can be a very scary thing. :)

Thank you so much for the [dare I say, “overly?”] glowing remarks. You sure know how to make a person feel better about her work. Encouragement like that makes me want to work harder at making a good movie, instead of my usual “I should call it a day” mentality. You are very kind.

Dick Mays March 11th, 2008 08:28 AM

Hugh covered everything, leaving little left to say. The reaction shot of the sales guy in the background... etc. Sorry to hear of anyone passing away at 51, me being that same age and all it strikes a little close to home.

I will say something about Mason as an actor. He is damn good. Honesty, significance, and "serves it up with nothing on it." I could see him in "No Country for Old Men." He should have an agent, out in L.A.

Great visuals/ Great camera work, Lorinda. I'm with you on not wanting to see your actor in any shorter shorts....

Lorinda Norton March 12th, 2008 10:17 PM

Dick, I pasted your comment about Mason in an e-mail to him. Even though he won't say anything, I know you had to make his day. Thanks so much for that....and I completely agree with you.

Bruce Broussard March 13th, 2008 05:17 AM

Hi Lorinda,

Sorry to hear about your friend, my condolences.

This was really funny. I loved the idea that he just won't conform at all (must strike some kind of a personal note!) Your actors did a pretty good job. You are another one who seems to get cooperation from a lot of people on these projects. Sometimes that is the biggest challenge. By the way, cute dog. Good job.

Lorinda Norton March 13th, 2008 10:58 PM

Finally, someone mentions that adorable puppy! He belongs to the auto body/repair shop owner's son.

Speaking of Mike Gibson (mechanic), he is so private I was amazed that he agreed to be in this project. I mean, this is the guy who, when I told him the movie would be shown on YouTube, said, "I don't know what YouTube is, but, okay." :0

The help factor seems to be feast or famine. Some challenges, I can't get anyone on board. In times like those I should just hang on the wall instead of subjecting everyone to something like, say...a barnyard full of chickens... ;) I was really grateful for all the help I had on this one. Makes it so much fun!