DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DVC Feedback! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-feedback/)
-   -   DVC12 - Home is where the Stuff is - David Cummings (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-feedback/116731-dvc12-home-where-stuff-david-cummings.html)

David Cummings March 10th, 2008 08:52 PM

DVC12 - Home is where the Stuff is - David Cummings

wowie wow! gremlins were attacking me left and right on this one. my car died, my camera eats tapes now, and the computer stopped exporting footage just as I was getting finished.. totally worth it!

This will be my first time entering the dv challenge but don’t hold back, any criticism is welcome. even the negative "you suck" kinda stuff ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYwJYhqE7qs

Jesse Steele March 11th, 2008 01:12 PM

why did your talent leave his car parked in the neighbors driveway? hahahahah I laughed harder that he did actually!!!

great job. I liked it! you told all the backstory of this character very nicely! I loved that the neighbor also had something as wierd as a cheese slicer? hehehe great job

best of luck

No "you sucks" from me

David Cummings March 11th, 2008 02:01 PM

The best reason is mostly so that Alex's character would have something to yell at him after the credits lol.. but maybe a realistic explanation could be that he forgot to get his car because he was so overwhelmed by the situation..??

and just in case nobody noticed, as kind of an added gag.. you can tell that the automatic cheese shredder is just a toaster with blocks of cheese stuffed in it :)

Thank you for your input, every little bit helps

Robert Martens March 11th, 2008 03:00 PM

I started to suspect he was in the wrong house when the neighbor's wife walked in, but when she didn't say anything I thought maybe you were going for the 'magic' angle, and she really did change. From "what the hell are you doing in my house", however, I didn't stop laughing until well after the movie was over. "That was the day I met our new neighbors" is my favorite punchline yet! Great way to close things, and his car in their driveway is icing on the cake.

I wasn't sure why he was so surprised when he first entered the house. Maybe if the earlier shot of the mantel had somehow included more of the house, so we knew what it was supposed to look like, it'd be less disorienting, but you explain it quickly enough that it's not a problem.

I love, love the profile shot by the TV, really cool looking with that blue glow. As for that bird clock, is that really hanging in someone's house somewhere, or was it set dressing especially for your film? Don't get me wrong, I like birds as much as the next guy, but, well ...

David Cummings March 11th, 2008 04:56 PM

sadly yes.. my friends mother does own a bird clock haha

Alex Chamberlain March 11th, 2008 09:34 PM

My Dad has that bird clock. It chirps on the hour with the sound of the bird at which it is pointing. This was a really well thought out plan and you pulled it off well. Congratulations on a finished film!

David Cummings March 11th, 2008 11:22 PM

thanks for the support. I was really expecting to get attacked for all the technical shortcomings of the film. its nice to know in some part the story overcame the amateurish look of this project

Lorinda Norton March 13th, 2008 10:45 PM

I watched your movie again (this makes about 5 times) to see why you called it “amateurish.” The look and camera moves suited the content, I thought. It's not amateurish.

I liked the main actor’s expressions—in particular, that sheepish look near the end. Timing on the “That was the day I met our new neighbors” sequence couldn’t have been better.

Good first movie, David. Hope you’ll do more.

David Cummings March 14th, 2008 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton (Post 842251)
I watched your movie again (this makes about 5 times) to see why you called it “amateurish.” The look and camera moves suited the content, I thought. It's not amateurish.

I liked the main actor’s expressions—in particular, that sheepish look near the end. Timing on the “That was the day I met our new neighbors” sequence couldn’t have been better.

Good first movie, David. Hope you’ll do more.

maybe I shouldnt be so critical of my own work haha. I'm glad to hear you like it :)

David Cummings March 17th, 2008 04:12 PM

congrats on the win Joseph and to everyone else who entered. I really enjoyed everyones work.

I'm definately planning on entering for dvc13 but I'd really like to hear what some of the weak points were in my short.. anything that I might be able to improve upon for next time.