DVC 14 - Hobo By Day - Lorinda Norton - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old November 21st, 2008, 07:51 PM   #16
Major Player

All I can say is that everyone should be glad this was in the last grouping so we didn't have to follow an animal act.

Beautiful fall colors - nicely captured, super sweet animal, the theme was perfectly suited to the challenge. The lyrics did a nice job or carrying the film along... and if there was any doubt they were custom, the moment with the sheriff's officer certainly dispelled that, making it all that much more special.

I enjoyed the boxcar scene as did most everyone else. Unfortunately I had already read the prior posts so knew your secret. I wish I had seen it cold... THAT would have made me wonder!

Don't complain about your handheld shots. Firstoff they are steadier than my parkensonlike efforts, and second in this case they were perfectly suited to the wanderings.

A dog actor. Solo lead actor, nonetheless. Hmmm. And who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?

Sweet piece. Nicely done.

Chris Swanberg
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 10:13 PM   #17
Wrangler

Hey Eric, I had more footage but only used the “Shorty perspective” inside the bus and on the street in town. Three short clips.

Robert, when I showed this video to my mom and sisters everyone first did the “aw” thing with him and Penny (the little cat) but they particularly loved the wind catching his ear and then letting it flop, as you noticed. That does say a lot about this lovable and devoted clown of a dog.

About the bus, one of my piano students is a retired PC guy who now drives a bus for fun. (I can’t imagine it being fun.) He made the connections for me; I was a little embarrassed when the manager called and said she had to call the parent company to get permission. The bus driver was so accommodating. If anyone besides me thought the shot of Shorty and me in the bus was too short it’s because we were the only ones on it—before hours.

Oh Chris B., --you don’t want to know what “delicacy” Shorty found. I buried it.

Chris S., your kind and generous words are much appreciated. :)
Old November 23rd, 2008, 09:18 PM   #18
Major Player

It's hard to work with animals! The hand held didn't bother me much, but I'd be lying if I said it didn't bother me at all. I don't think you could have gotten as many shots trying to use sticks however.

I, like everyone else here it seems, really liked the railcar shot. And I liked the little showdown where he turns around and heads home. Very cute.
Jeremy Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2008, 11:47 AM   #19
Wrangler

Yes, the hand held stuff will always bother me--not only the movement but the tilt. Drives me a little bit crazy. Wouldn’t you know, the train shot is the worst for camera shake; I was trying to walk sideways on really soft, uneven ground.

Here’s an almost 5 minute extras reel for anyone who might be bored. It contains fairly rare footage of a generally camera-shy camera operator plus a few glimpses of Shorty’s pals. Nothing all that funny--mainly just cute dogs. :)

"Extras" for Hobo by Day on Vimeo
Old November 25th, 2008, 02:28 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Yeah, Kudos to you for going through with making a film even when your initial plans can't happen and kudos for having the ambition to work with an animal. I just plain couldn't do that. Great job!
Old November 25th, 2008, 03:29 PM   #21
Major Player

I just loved the "Making of".... thank you. Not sure who was sweeter, the dog or you and your obvious affection for him and the craft.

BUT.... the truth is revealed. You didn't serendipitously catch the urination scene (with fluids) but actually orchestrated it! I am quite sure we will be hearing about THIS!

Fun little extras. Much enjoyed.

Chris S.
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2008, 04:23 PM   #22
Wrangler

Ha ha! Oops...did I put that in there??? ;) Dick and I will never live that one down... :)

Thanks for watching, Chris. It was fun throwing the extras together. And you're right-- I'm pretty nuts about my dogs and cats.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!