DVC18 - MGM Iron Man 3-Gun Match - Lorinda Norton at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old June 15th, 2010, 10:24 AM   #1
Wrangler

DVC18 - MGM Iron Man 3-Gun Match - Lorinda Norton

After the idea Dylan gave me fell through on the last Thursday I thought about not entering anything. Given the low turnout I’m sure glad I didn’t give up! After searching online through events that seemed less than interesting I remembered going to the Iron Man 3-Gun Match last year. How lucky for me it was going on that very day through Saturday! So I e-mailed a friend, who gave me the number of the fellow in charge of it.

Great bunch of people, the Gibson family, bending over backward to make sure I had access to everything. I could have been closer to the shooters but because they were competing it didn’t seem right asking, so I stayed back. The video probably suffered for it. Besides that, 3-Gun Nation was there filming for broadcast on Versus, so with them, mine and lots of others it felt like there were almost too many video cameras buzzing around.

Getting out of the wind and away from the shooting for the interview proved to be impossible, and the burly kid holding my reflector was no match for the wind, so it kept flipping up. I found out that my headphones aren’t good enough—I never heard the distortion while recording the interview. Additionally, I found that it is not fun playing boom operator and cameraman—guessing whether or not the mic is in the frame, or discovering too late the mic shadow…

We ate a lot of dirt; the wind never let up, but the highlight for me, of course, was riding down the zip line with my camera. I may have to go back next year and shoot the other way.
Old June 15th, 2010, 03:47 PM   #2
Major Player

Lorinda,

From the opening titles, with the drum track and the inverted video flashing in sync to the drums, I love the production quality of this video. You won't get many videographers to jump on a zip line with their cameras to get two seconds of video, but it made us feel like we were there. Great lighting for outdoors. Polarizing filters used? Was this a freebie for the gun folks or did they pay you for it? I thought you captured the whole mood of the event, even the grilling cheeseburgers. Is this where you fired that 50 cal? Where is the video footage of that?? I grew up firing my the AR15 my Dad purchased for the coming end of times, so I felt right at home. Nice work.
Dick Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2010, 04:19 PM   #3
Wrangler

Twitter has to be good for something. My DVi pal Heath McKnight posted something last week about Mayhem plug-in for Vegas so I checked it out. Perfect for adding zip to a promo spot like this. No polarizer (funny, I have one but never think to pull it out) just the strongest ND on my camera.

No, I didn't ask MGM to pay for the piece. I figured it was them doing me the favor. If they like it, maybe I'll get a discount on some of those great targets. :) As for the footage of the .50, I'll have to find it. That was a couple years ago out in an abandoned opal mine.
Old June 15th, 2010, 09:41 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hey! Really cool to see this. My Dad is an avid shooter, and I grew up at these sorts of events. As a matter of fact you can see much lower quality versions of videos like this on cable hunting channels.

I know you were under a huge crunch, but of the very few videos I've seen of yours, I thought this was one of the best.

My only concern is when the man is talking at the beginning, there are gunshots that sort of muffle what he is saying, I wasn't sure if you added them in post or not. If not, it's probably just because of your location.

Anyway, I enjoyed it quite a bit.
Cole Seidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2010, 09:50 PM   #5
Wrangler

Thanks, Cole. The thing that bugs you bugs me...a lot. When I started editing this I couldn't believe how often the gunshots "stepped on" Mike's lines. But it was either put up with gunshots or have much worse wind noise than what you hear. If he likes the video and wants to put it on his Web site or something I'm going to see if we can dub in new audio.
Old June 15th, 2010, 10:39 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Ahhh, I've been there before. Well, upon second viewing if you do decide to dub I'd estimate it'll work quite well. He seems to be in optimum positioning for a dub to be convincing.
Cole Seidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2010, 12:59 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Hey Lorinda. I enjoyed seeing this film, and will definitely show it to my gun toting son and son-in-law. Zip line was the coolest. Did you really ride it down ?

I actually thought gunfire during interview was great, and the wind just added to the ambiance.....
Old June 16th, 2010, 01:42 AM   #8
Wrangler

Chris, I'm relieved to read that the noise doesn't bother you like it does Cole and me. I find it distracting, at best.

You bet I rode that thing down. It's not that tall of a structure but seems pretty high at the top because it's on a hill. The scariest part is when the guy opens the gate. :)
Attached Thumbnails
DVC18 - MGM Iron Man 3-Gun Match - Lorinda Norton-zip-line-2.jpg  
Old June 16th, 2010, 02:32 PM   #9
Major Player

This was the most snappy and informative of the bunch.
Some highlights which I liked:
Nice punchy graphics.
Mike Gibson talking while slugs are ricocheting in the background.
A wide variety of angles, high and low, inside, outside, following.
4.5 BILIION rounds of ammo fired? Gives a new meaning to the saying
‘Get the lead out’
Slides and a zip line where you can slide down and destroy the enemy.
This is like Disneyland for target shooters.
The Blue Jean Video graphic with music at the end is very cool.
Great Work, an overall thorough production.
Bill Thesken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2010, 05:48 PM   #10
Wrangler

Thanks, Bill! After hearing another OK for the bullets flying in the narrated portion, and because I am basically lazy, maybe I'll leave the video alone. :)

Mike had some other interesting info that I couldn't fit into a five-minute piece. The one I remember off the top of my head is the stat that if a competitor never missed a shot he/she would burn through 900 rounds of ammo during the competition. This match is not for those on too tight of a budget.
Old June 16th, 2010, 09:51 PM   #11
Major Player

Lorinda... I felt like I was watching an Outdoor's Adventure Cable Channel show! Your overall production values were broadcast quality - higher maybe.

I too was not bothered by the gunshots at the beginning competing for Mike's voice. I could catch everything and it definitely gave a "you are there" quality to it.

You sure had a lot of various camera angles and I bet the editing was tiring. You pulled it off nuicely... and yeah... the zip line - well lady you get the prize. Awesome.

When it was "all done" i breathed a sigh and thought WOW, and then saw your gorgeous little Blue Jean signature at the end and that just did it.

If they have a website, they ought to make this little short their website video to promote future events.

VERY very nice.

Chris Swanberg
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2010, 01:26 AM   #12
Wrangler

Gosh, Chris, a person could start thinking she knew what she was doing listening to kind remarks like yours. Thanks! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Swanberg View Post
You sure had a lot of various camera angles and I bet the editing was tiring.
You got that right, brother. I shot almost two hours of footage and didn't start editing until late Sunday afternoon when I received Brian's guitar track. Cutting like a madwoman all night, at one point I thought, "What the heck is that noise?" so turned down my speakers and realized that it was a robin bringing in the new day. That means that technically, I didn't get my entry uploaded in time, but since I can't compete anyway...
Old June 17th, 2010, 04:22 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Swanberg View Post
When it was "all done" i breathed a sigh and thought WOW, and then saw your gorgeous little Blue Jean signature at the end and that just did it.

Chris Swanberg
yeah, i love Lorinda's signatutre too!
Dick Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2010, 05:12 PM   #14
Trustee

Wow!

Whoooeee!

Being 71 I don't shoot in 3 gun anymore. Too much of an athletic event lately, anyway.

But whatta lot of fun, and you got it captured good. Closest thing to that zipline we ever had here was a cart that started on elevated rails about 25 feet up. The RO rode right behind the competitor and that was a rifle and pistol stage. My grandson got in on that one.

Mike Gibson sponsored a "youth shooter" slot in that year's "Texas 3 Gun State Championship" and our club gave that one to Jason. MGM filled a collection box with practice ammo and shipped that to the club to give him plenty to practice with.

I never met Mike but cannot say enough good about him and what he does in the industry to promote shooting, he's always sponsored a "lady's slot" and a "youth shooter" slot in our big matches here.

I order my IPSC style (the old politically incorrect humaniod "tombstone" shape) targets from MGM.

For not being able to get closer to the competitors, you got the essence and the spirit of the "3 Gun" game that put us right in there with safety glasses and electronic ear muffs. Dang, I enjoyed that!

I'll have to link your video for Terry and Linda Ashton (in our San Angelo club), they make that rotating "Texas Star" steel target, which can be the most exasperating thing to shoot at. As you knock individual plates off the "arms" the speed of rotation or direction of rotation (OR BOTH) can change on you. I'll never forget the first time I encountered that thing in a match here.

Pure Fun FUn FUN FUN!
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2010, 05:43 PM   #15
Wrangler

Ha ha! Bruce, I am so glad you enjoyed it! :) I thought of you more than once while I was out there, never imagining that you had ties with Mike. That is very cool.

I had to leave it out of the video but he did place emphasis on junior and lady shooters, so that must be something he enjoys. The photographer/Webmaster for his site who provided me with logos later told me that if I go back with my camera next year I should make a deal with a few shooters and ROs to get closer. Unfortunately, without something like this challenge to get me off my rear I don't know if I'll put myself through it again. You are so right--it is an athlete's game.

I'll be visiting Mike's shop one of these days--got my eye on a couple targets he sells--so if I get to talk with him I'll mention what you said. People need to hear when others speak highly of them. :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!