DVC20 - "Protect and Survive" feedback thread - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old June 9th, 2011, 01:03 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: DVC20 - "Protect and Survive" feedback thread

Hi Bill,

Many thanks for taking time to watch and comment. That was pretty much what I wanted people to take away from this film. I was very keen to approach the topic with respect and without showing suffering, instead focusing on the scope of the loss and the small crumbs of comfort left behind.
Henry Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2011, 03:28 PM   #17
Wrangler

Those were some great images, Henry. Wish I had that much of a handle on how to use my camera. (Dang, someone should have made a "how to" for me!) Like others mentioned, the shot with the flag set the mood most perfectly.

I must be quite the dullard, because even after several viewings I didn't figure out what you were going for. Some kind of "ramming home" the point must be necessary for folks like me because, after reading your posts I'm thinking how much I would have liked seeing references from the handbook, however useless and/or ridiculous. But guys like you and Andris shouldn't listen to people like me; we need films/video for the deep thinkers. :)
Old June 9th, 2011, 04:04 PM   #18
Major Player

Hi Lorinda.

Many thanks for watching and commenting (and for organising the contest!). I have to admit I did spend quite a lot of time setting each shot up, I'm really glad people think they look good.

I still feel like I made the right decision for the film but... In the interests of compromise on the issue of more quotes here's an archive of all the handbooks, leaflets and videos that made up the Protect and Survive campaign. Hope posting an external link is okay...

Protect and Survive

Don't think me going all arthouse is a permanent fixture though. I'm sure I'll be back to horror's comforting and gore soaked arms with the next competition ;)
Henry Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2011, 05:33 PM   #19
Major Player

Lorinda, almost forgot. I've learned a great deal from Philip Bloom's blogs and videos on DSLR shooting. They're very practical, helpful and well worth checking out. I'd love to be able to shoot a tenth as well as he does some day, and with as much humility and good humour.
Henry Williams is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!