DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DVC Feedback! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-feedback/)
-   -   DVC20 - "Excuses" by Jeremy Doyle (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-feedback/496902-dvc20-excuses-jeremy-doyle.html)

Jeremy Doyle June 8th, 2011 09:07 AM

DVC20 - "Excuses" by Jeremy Doyle

I think it pretty much speaks for itself.

I signed up for the competition with the intent of getting off the wall of shame. As a procrastinator, and just being extremely busy this time of year I didn't have a lot of time to dedicate to this project. But with an instructional video theme, I had plenty of ideas that kept popping into my head.

Ultimately it came down to, what can I do by myself and in one evening? I started at 9 p.m. on Sunday night and 3 hours later I had this. With the exemption of some compressing issues when it was done, everything else went smoothly.

Shot with an Canon HV20, edited with FCP, graphics in photoshop and AE, and music from the digital juice backtraxx libraries 1 & 2.

Henry Williams June 8th, 2011 11:33 AM

Re: DVC20 - "Excuses" by Jeremy Doyle

Congratulations on leaving the wall in such fine style Jeremy! I really enjoyed this and it was a nice reversal of the theme.

Dick Mays June 8th, 2011 01:33 PM

I just knew there had to be a stay off the wall tutorial, and you made an entertaining one.
Loved that the wife didn't want to be seen on camera. The filmmaker has a lonely life.
Some pretty good excuses. I've used a couple of those. Still would have liked to see the visual of a body hanging on the wall, blood, etc. So we know the importance of staying off it.

George Williams June 8th, 2011 02:44 PM

The wall of shame sounds awful. Maybe I can threaten my recalcitrant students with it... ;-) Great fun, Jeremy.

Chris Barcellos June 8th, 2011 11:08 PM

Actually was quite nice to see the real Jeremy Doyle. I've always thought one day we would have one of those self portrait themes in the Challenge. You are way ahead fo the game, Jeremy !! Nice crying jag...even if a bit forced :)

Andris Krastins June 9th, 2011 12:44 AM

Great one, Jeremy! I watched it with my gf several times with laughter, and I can relate to the wall of shame theme. :) I'll remember this if I'm in the pinch some other DVC. :)

Jeremy Doyle June 9th, 2011 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos (Post 1656794)
Nice crying jag...even if a bit forced :)

What can I say, I learned that bit from watching my 4 year old daughter. She pulls that move on me several times a week (although somehow she always manages to get tears). And when its coming, it is almost as predictable as my countdown cue.

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Dick - I never thought about going with a bloody body hanging on the wall. That would have been brilliant!

George - Yes, the wall of shame is an awful place and I have been on it far too many times.

Henry Williams June 9th, 2011 10:35 AM

Speaking as someone who's currently in the Shark Tank I'm pretty sure The Wall Of Shame is a lot less hazardous to ones immediate health and wellbeing ;) I just pity the people on The Wall Of Sharks, they've got another six months to go before they get a chance at a reprieve.

Bill Thesken June 9th, 2011 11:52 AM

Very funny. An instant classic. I actually have a variation of this mapped out to use at some point for these challenges. I like the graphics also. Great work.

Lorinda Norton June 9th, 2011 03:37 PM

It takes a real man to bare his soul on video like that, Jeremy. Maybe we should start a group therapy session for Wall of Shamers. ;)

I laughed and laughed at this piece. It was really hard to decide which part was funniest (not that I needed to) but I have to say your comment about not wanting to start a controversy over how to tie shoes really cracked me up. And the unspoken "why we should brush our tongues" bit had me giggling as well.

Good job, especially with so little time left on the clock for submitting!