DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DVC Feedback! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-feedback/)
-   -   DVC-20 "Split Rail Fence" (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-feedback/496966-dvc-20-split-rail-fence.html)

Gerald OConnor June 9th, 2011 12:30 PM

DVC-20 "Split Rail Fence"

Ok after viewing some of these great movies I need more practice with shooting and editing. I have gone through a bunch of different cameras and I'm now using the canon xa10 and used Vegas pro 10 to edit. Had a few issues with it and hope to do better next time. Thanks guys/girls

Henry Williams June 9th, 2011 02:01 PM

Re: DVC-20 "Split Rail Fence"

Please don't be so hard on yourself, Gerald. You made an engaging and very informative video that fulfilled the competition brief perfectly. My brother also assures me that it looks like a good fence!

Gerald OConnor June 9th, 2011 02:20 PM

Thanks HAHAHA . I had made plans on another video on rock climbing how to's but I haven't repelled in about 20 years and chickened out on my buddy. So I had to get the fence in for my kids swing set so did that instead. It was fun and a little stressful, this was my first real editing of a video I just usually post clips. You guys make great little movies I love them.

Bill Thesken June 9th, 2011 06:11 PM

So that's how you make a split rail fence! Never seen it done before. I always look at the color, focus, framing and pans and those were done very well. Yours was the next to the last I watched and almost half expected something to jump out of the woods or something after all the other ones.

Dick Mays June 9th, 2011 06:15 PM

Gerald,

That looks like a great fence, and you have a good camera eye with that interesting shot down the rail.
I would have liked to have seen how the holes were made in the post for the rails. Was that all done with a chainsaw? The fence is beautiful.

But the video should really be called, how to handle a Bobcat. I saw the wheelie, and thought, "No he did not!" That takes skillz. I tumped a bobcat once so I know my limitations. Very engaging video. Thanks!

Lorinda Norton June 9th, 2011 07:33 PM

I agree with Henry that you are being way too hard on yourself! This was a very well-done video, Gerald. I also agree with Dick that more time could have been devoted to the fence actually going in (or is it up?) than the little Caterpillar, but it's not a big deal.

As for your camera operating, as Dick said, you've got the eye for making a shot compelling. Next step would be locking down shots with a tripod and, as a replacement for the zoom either some kind of stabilizer (which I don't have because I can't justify the cost) or a dolly. I am lucky to have a homemade dolly with PVC pipe for track that a good friend made for me. It works great...when I take the time to get it out of the trailer. :)

Aside from those picky points I want you to know that when the video started with your good choice of music I felt like I was watching a television "how to" program. You're doing just fine.

Chris Barcellos June 10th, 2011 12:34 AM

I have to agree with others. Nice shots in the ones provided, but the instructional part was a bit missing. Guys who watch how to videos love to see the tools working on each phase of the project.
Now, you problem was that you were doing double duty... actually working on the project and shooting it too.

Andris Krastins June 10th, 2011 01:29 AM

I too agree that this video was more about how cool is that bobcat and less about how to make that fence.
I really would have liked to see how to make those holes and the process in more detail so I could someday make such a beautiful construction even without a bobcat (which is just an extra).

On the technical side I think that a tripod would have contributed to the look of the video. You don't even need a tripod for most of such shots, a pile of boxes would have worked. Then you could have made sped up shots of the fence going up.

But all in all not bad for a first time editing. :)

Gerald OConnor June 10th, 2011 08:22 AM

Thanks every one. The wholes in the posts were made by a drill where I bought them, what we were doing is cutting 45% angles because my yard is curved. Mike my neighbor owns the bobcat and has a business for restoring old Honda 3 wheelers/motorcycles and he loves wheeling everything. I tried making a much better movie with the more than 2 hours of video and the new computer keep crashing with a fatal blue screening using premier cs5.5 . I sent it all back to BH and used my old computer with Vegas and ran out of time trying to learn how to cut and a bunch of clips then speed it up like a time laps shot. I have been experimenting and starting to figure it out. Thanks

George Williams June 11th, 2011 05:17 AM

I thought it was pretty clear - I reckon I could have a decent stab at making a fence after watching that.