DVC 22 — Tempered — Mitchell Stookey - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old September 11th, 2012, 11:45 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: DVC 22 — Tempered — Mitchell Stookey

I liked the cinematography and the effects really drew me into the story. Unlike some other comments, I followed the story pretty well, it seemed to me the death of the bird and either the fragility of life or the beauty of nature made him feel closer to humanity, enough to call his mom.

My only suggestions would be to have slightly better lighting inside the apartment when he opens the door- some of that was hard to see. Also, like me, I appreciate you were edgy with the music, since most films just use it as a backdrop, but I guess we both paid the price for that in that I had a hard time hearing the phone conversation at the end over your music and had to replay it. But given how I did the same thing- and feel music and sound in general should be used more aggressively in film, I can't fault you for it, and could hear it fine by listening again.

I really liked the theme and narrative of this film.
Old September 11th, 2012, 08:00 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton View Post
I was going to tease you about the very dead, very stiff bird but had decided not to, given the unkind solution for realism that none of us would have wanted. And I wondered if you all wandered around in the trees until you found one. But this is kind of funny--$20 for a frozen pigeon! That's not something you see on the expense list every day. :)
I haven't seen this mentioned yet, but that means that the close-up of the bird breathing was done in post, right? I mean, I swear I saw that bird breathing, and it was such a subtle but important effect! Seriously, that was awesome!
Old September 11th, 2012, 08:10 PM   #18
Wrangler

Hahaha...I didn't see it move, Joseph! Crack me up--you have such a wonderful imagination. (Now I'd better watch it again to see if you're right!) :)
Old September 11th, 2012, 08:20 PM   #19
Regular Crew

@ Joseph and Lorinda
Yes, it was breathing! We added a very subtle puppet warp in After Effects to make its chest rise and fall, it's in both the close up shot along the ground and the directly overhead shot (which it's harder to see in). It's curled up talons look pretty dead though....
Mitchell Stookey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 08:26 PM   #20
Wrangler

LOL! Okay, so besides a great imagination Joseph has keen eyes and the inquisitiveness to study and see if it's breathing! Oh my goodness, this really is making me laugh. Well done, Mitchell--I must go see for myself. Hahaha...

Thank you for noticing and bringing it up, Joseph; it would have been a shame to let all that work go unnoticed by people like me. :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!