DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DVC Feedback! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-feedback/)
-   -   How About Feed Back for Dylan, Lorinda, Guy and Chris Hurd's Part In DVChallenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-feedback/510615-how-about-feed-back-dylan-lorinda-guy-chris-hurds-part-dvchallenge.html)

Chris Barcellos September 10th, 2012 12:44 PM

How About Feed Back for Dylan, Lorinda, Guy and Chris Hurd's Part In DVChallenge

This feedback forum has been used by the DVChallenge film makers to post comments on their films, and on other's films, but I am steering this thread in a little different direction. I would like to offer my thanks to those who have made this regular challenge a place for many of us to undertake and show work that we would never had a chance to show otherwise.

DVChallenge 22 has brought in a lot of great film makers that I am honored to even be on the same page with. The films have just been fantastic, and the interpretation of the theme has been so varied. Not at all what I expected. I think a vote of thanks is absolutely in order.

To Chris Hurd, thank you for sanctioning this challenge on your no nonsense forum. As I said, the chance to work around and talk with the quality film makers involved has been tremendous.

To Guy Cochran, your prize contributions have encouraged us and given us a little extra push to get our films completed. The DVChallenge 22 prize brought out the best film makers and your support of the Challenge is greatly appreciated.

To Dylan Couper, you have been Mr. DVChallenge from day one, and DV Challenge 22 just carried it all forward again. (By the way, was there a DVChallenge 21 I missed ?)

And, last, but not least, Lorinda Norton. We all know you are the "prime mover" when it comes to getting these Challenges rolling, and you dedication is appreciated. What I do miss is your films in the mix, When are we going to see some from you again ? I remember fondly many of your films, and in particular the two Santas caught in the chimney. (I hope I remember that right.)

Andrew Bove September 10th, 2012 03:23 PM

Re: How About Feed Back for Dylan, Lorinda, Guy and Chris Hurd's Part In DVChallenge

And also a big thank you to all the long time dvcers for so warmly welcoming us “new boots” to your supportive community. It obvious why this has been a success for so long. Your good humor, stories, sharing of expertise, and supportive enthusiasm is truly special.

It's been a pleasure learning with all of you; if you'll have me back, I look forward to doing it all again next year.

Mat Thompson September 10th, 2012 03:51 PM

Re: How About Feed Back for Dylan, Lorinda, Guy and Chris Hurd's Part In DVChallenge

Yep, a definite 'BIG UP' to all the folks who make this challenge happen. I know from working on UWOL how much work it can take to get these things organised!

Cheers to you all !
Mat

Lorinda Norton September 11th, 2012 01:13 AM

Aw, that's mighty kind of you, Chris. Perhaps if we start adding categories to the challenge I will enter in the "old shooters eating dust" competition. ;)

Mitchell Stookey and I are two of the five finishers of DVC 1, so it is always a thrill to see his films that I love so much. But I shouldn't get started with names; otherwise, I run the risk of leaving out friends like Dick, you (Chris), Joseph, Andris and more. In addition to seeing great films from old friends and returning filmmakers, this round has been exciting because of the fresh, friendly and talented new folks who joined in the fun. I hope they are all now addicted to the DV Challenge and will be back for more!

To answer your question about the numbering, I guess we counted the charity challenge as DVC 21. That's the story I'm sticking with, anyway.

Mark Hartopp September 11th, 2012 01:41 AM

Got to say I loved doing the challenge, been a member of dvinfo for some time, but never managed to have the time to take part. Now I feel I've missed out on past comps :(. I totally recommend this to anyone with a video camera. A BIG Well done to you all.

Frank Moody September 11th, 2012 03:23 AM

I'll start by saying "Thank You" to all those that made this happen! and "Thank You" for the great Prize
let me add a "Thank You" to Dick Mays for telling me about this group and this fine contest.

Now let me say "Damn" what a great group of film makers! I started this with high hopes of perhaps winning that fine Camera, then day one films posted and the air in my sails began to deflat then as it progressed more and more air escaped! Now I wonder if I will even be in the top five?

To that let me add win are lose this has been a great time! You all are so good and the feedback was awesome! Whom ever wins this can say that they truly WON!

Thank you all

Frank Moody

Mitchell Stookey September 11th, 2012 08:17 AM

Thanks for starting this thread Chris (Barcellos), because Lorinda, Dylan, Guy and Chris Hurd all deserve HUGE thanks. This community (DVC and DV Info) does so much more than just help you make something though (which is still awesome), but I truly believe that it helps you grow as an artist and filmmaker.

Lorinda, it's funny you should mention DVC #1, because thinking back to that for me is a testament to how much you can learn in these competitions. The film I made back then was AWFUL in almost every way, but mostly in the technical department, and I had no idea it was bad at all! But so many people helpfully pointed out what was wrong, things like my levels being all over the map (I think it had a scream in it that was 20 dB louder than anything else in the film!), or my audio only being in the left channel (whoops!), and it wasn't until they pointed it out was able to go back and even realize that something was off. It takes a lot of skill to even identify those problems, and I had no clue until people here showed that to me.

I love the DV Challenge and I can't say thank you enough, it is so much fun to be a part of this community, but it is much more than fun. It's really fertile training ground for filmmakers and artists! So one more time, THANK YOU!

Andrew Bove September 11th, 2012 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Hartopp (Post 1752675)
I totally recommend this to anyone with a video camera.

Absolutely.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitchell Stookey (Post 1752732)
it's funny you should mention DVC #1

By the way, are any of the old DVC entries archived anywhere? I've read a lot of old posts, but there would be a lot to learn from all that footage for new people.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitchell Stookey (Post 1752732)
THANK YOU!

Yes! THANK YOU!

Mitchell Stookey September 11th, 2012 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Bove (Post 1752737)

By the way, are any of the old DVC entries archived anywhere? I've read a lot of old posts, but there would be a lot to learn from all that footage for new people.

Haha! My original DVC entry is definitely taken down due to embarrassment issues. I think it is on an old computer somewhere, but I am not sure if it should really ever see the light of day again.

Andrew Bove September 11th, 2012 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitchell Stookey (Post 1752741)
Haha! My original DVC entry is definitely taken down due to embarrassment issues. I think it is on an old computer somewhere, but I am not sure if it should really ever see the light of day again.

When you're famous, it'll be awesome.

Lorinda Norton September 11th, 2012 09:43 AM

Yeah, Mitchell, keep that in mind! :)

At least you applied what you learned. Some of my most embarrassing entries are those that I threw together more recently in order to stay off the Wall of Shame. Unprofessional as they might seem now, however, all the entries from early DVCs were grand entertainment, and I wouldn't trade them for anything. As a matter of fact, I miss the reckless adventures of those of us who were willing to try new things--even if it meant a crash and burn it made for some laughs and lots of fun. But everything "grows up" after awhile...

Andrew, my pal Robert Martens, a long-time DVC veteran, has an archive of almost every film. But I haven't seen him around here in a long time. Miss you, Robert!

Ruth Happel September 11th, 2012 10:31 AM

Yes, thanks so much for the forum and contests. I joined almost 6 years ago and almost right away got involved in the UWOL contests. I learned by doing, and the valuable feedback helped me to try new things and learn from their excellent examples.

I find the site a great mix of the forums and the contests, both inspiring and teaching me so much. Before joining this online community, my video experience was limited. I had shot video for years, but not tried to do much with it creatively. I believe this community has been the main reason I have explored new techniques and approaches. Though I have only participated in one DV Challenge before, this experience has pushed me in new directions.

Thanks so much to Chris, Dylan, Lorinda and Guy, and also everyone who provides advice and support on the forums and challenges here.

Toni Dolce September 11th, 2012 10:41 AM

It really is an amazing forum. So friendly, so knowledgeable, and so fun!

I feel like I found a safe place to experiment and be creative. I look forward to being upgraded from "New Boot" to "Major Player" !

Thanks again for an awesome competition and an awesome place to learn. I like what you said, Ruth, that you learn by doing. Absolutely!

Toni

Simon Wood September 11th, 2012 12:11 PM

Yup; thanks to everyone involved in DVC and UWOL!

As I said somewhere else its great to have the motivation to get out the door, meet new people, go to new places, and just film something.

UWOL helped me get my enthusiasm for filming back!

Lorinda Norton September 11th, 2012 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon Wood (Post 1752804)
Yup; thanks to everyone involved in DVC and UWOL!

As I said somewhere else its great to have the motivation to get out the door, meet new people, go to new places, and just film something.

UWOL helped me get my enthusiasm for filming back!

Ooh, forgive me for hijacking the thread, but how can I pass up a plug like that?? :)

The UWOL Challenge is going on right now, and we did the unprecedented there--we left the sign-up open throughout! Sooooooo...if anyone is still amped up because of this challenge and wants to shoot a quick project around the theme "Interaction" by Oct. 4, come on downstairs and join UWOL 24! http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-cha...ise-prize.html