DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DVC Feedback! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-feedback/)
-   -   DVC23 - Fly On The Wall - Sean Clancy (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-feedback/519268-dvc23-fly-wall-sean-clancy.html)

Sean Clancy October 2nd, 2013 02:19 PM

DVC23 - Fly On The Wall - Sean Clancy

Chris Barcellos October 2nd, 2013 02:36 PM

Re: DVC23 - Fly On The Wall - Sean Clancy

This one of those that needs to be watched several times to put everything together. My first two times through, I am still piecing things together. Such a wide variety of shots from extreme close up to the lawn with the digger. Loved the look of the film, but not sure of the message yet. but then I might be the problem there.

Marc Burleigh October 2nd, 2013 02:46 PM

Some lovely images there, with an offbeat, rhythmic score.

I'm not entirely sure I got the story: was it that the fly was a witness to a double murder and then ended up being the last victim itself?

Maybe the story doesn't matter. I liked the macro shots and the one of the guy digging the grave. I was a bit confused at the fly on the ring. It looked to me as if the fly was already dead, yet it inched backwards. Was that because it was just impossible to get a live fly to hit its marks?

Great atmosphere, good shots, nice score.

Sean Clancy October 2nd, 2013 03:24 PM

Thanks for the kind words Chris and Marc.

I did have concerns that everything might be a little too vague I just wanted to make a really quick atmospheric short that told the story in a series of simple bold images. This was mainly dictated by practicality as I had one morning to shoot it and I knew I'd be the only person around (I'm both the dead guy and the guy who buries the body).

Marc you were completely right in saying that the fly is the witness to a murder and then the last victim too. The fly is supposed to be 'alive' throughout even though all except one shot in the film uses a dead fly because live flies are very difficult to work with (high strung, very insecure and they're unionised too)

Henry Williams October 2nd, 2013 03:31 PM

I thought the footage looked great, with some really beautifully composed shots, particularly the one with the police light, which I thought was very imaginative. And it was a clever idea to approach the murder from the POV of a fly.

Derwin Dalida October 2nd, 2013 04:08 PM

Good idea, and well executed shots. I like the last shot implying that no one will find out about this crime. Nice job!

Chris Barcellos October 2nd, 2013 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Clancy (Post 1815274)
The fly is supposed to be 'alive' throughout even though all except one shot in the film uses a dead fly because live flies are very difficult to work with (high strung, very insecure and they're unionised too)

LOL. I thought it was the intentions to make it look like a live fly.

You know what they say about doing movies with children and animals. I suppose it applies to flies too.

Sean Clancy October 2nd, 2013 05:37 PM

Cheers Henry and Derwin! Really glad you liked it.

And Chris I think the fly could be in the running for a posthumous Oscar so it was worth the hardship.

Adam Snow October 2nd, 2013 05:38 PM

Nice work Sean! I too was a bit unsure about exactly it was about at first but the comments above helped clear that up and made the second viewing that much better.
Very impressed you were able to convince the fly's talent agent to have it play such a gruesome role! In all seriousness, you were able to get some marvelous shots. The blood in the cracks of the tile floor and the shot of the victim, considering you were the victim, were nicely done. Also, the fly on the window - battling a shallow depth of field while also keeping the fly in the frame - was pretty cool.

Tim Lewis October 2nd, 2013 07:10 PM

Nice work Sean. Some very good camera angles and shots. Maybe some of our other Perth members might agree, but I was really impressed by such green lawn, seemed a pity to dig it up.

The close ups of the blood flow along the tiles was my favourite, especially as I am in the middle of a Bones marathon!

Sean Clancy October 2nd, 2013 07:45 PM

Cheers guys!

Adam the shot of the fly on the window was a bit easier than it might look. The fly kept repeating pretty much the same circuit moving across the window so I was able to follow him easily after awhile. I even had time to change lenses at one point. What a pro! (the fly that is)

Tim I didn't realise I take that green for granted, it is Ireland after all. I'll trade it for some sun if you'd like.

Thanks for all the feedback so far. Really cool that everyone seems to like the shot compositions.

Andres Mata October 3rd, 2013 05:46 PM

Yes, really nice macro shots here, and quite a bunch of attractive shots, very well composed and paced. I must confess I didn't get the story after the first view, but then someone pointed out the fly-witness thing and all came together. Shame you couldn't get another fly around the table to film it alive. Hard lead character you chose!

Andrew Bove October 4th, 2013 03:32 PM

I particularly enjoyed the music, and it was nicely synced to the edit (especially syncing with the police lights). The shot outdoors with the shovel was my favorite- ominous!
How did you make your blood?
Great work!

Randy Smith October 6th, 2013 01:36 PM

Some great shots, and I loved how you had the camera in motion for almost everything!

Toni Dolce October 7th, 2013 03:10 PM

Hi Sean,

Music was great, the storyline mysterious, and the fly perfectly cast. The only critique was the strange scene with the glass and the ring with the dead fly moving backward (when it was supposed to still be alive). That threw me a little.

Nice job!

Toni