DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DVC Feedback! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-feedback/)
-   -   DVC23 - The Mysterious Bookshop - Andrew Bove (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-feedback/519320-dvc23-mysterious-bookshop-andrew-bove.html)

Andrew Bove October 4th, 2013 03:25 PM

DVC23 - The Mysterious Bookshop - Andrew Bove

After making a very "artistic" film last year, my goal this year was to (beat Toni) make a film which was clean and super clear to the viewer, yet which still nailed the theme. Especially after our theme was revealed, I figured that where would be a lot of serious tales and even more mystery and ambiguity, so my best chance to stand out would be with a mini-documentary. It was also obvious that there would be a lot of films with a darker tone, so I tried to find a subject with an upbeat angle to contrast. After a lot of searching and failed attempts, I discovered this wonderful little bookshop in Manhattan (and it's awesome manager Ian!) that fit the theme perfectly. I hope you enjoy!

Derwin Dalida October 4th, 2013 04:11 PM

Re: DVC23 - The Mysterious Bookshop - Andrew Bove

Wonderful straight forward documentary! Very well shot, good audio, about an interesting place that I would love to visit when I get the chance to visit New York. Great work!

Marc Burleigh October 4th, 2013 04:20 PM

Yes, a good, crisp documentary on a bookstore I knew nothing about. Makes me want to drop in next time I'm in NYC. And the owner has passion about what he does -- that really comes across.

Henry Williams October 4th, 2013 04:27 PM

great fulfilling of the competition brief. A technically excellent doc that was thoroughly engaging and really made me want to know more about the store. Good choice of music too. Just very well put together in all regards. Would struggle to find anything bad to say about this film.

Tim Lewis October 4th, 2013 07:22 PM

A good and different take on the theme. The shooting and editing were excellently done. The audio was crisp and clear. Loved the guy going through the door with the crime scene tape on it.

I also noticed the surreptitious placement of a chesterfield in one of the shots.

I loved it, it will be on my "must see" list if I ever get to NY.

Adam Snow October 4th, 2013 11:24 PM

I think you were certainly able to nail your goals on the head in terms of being super clear and hitting the theme in a less cliche way... so I applaud you on that sir. It is clearly evident that you know how to get a great image (based on this piece, DPing Toni's short as well as last years entries).

When watching this I wasn't sure at first if you had actually found a story with that name or if you'd found a book store and made the name/sign/etc up yourself. Though that question was only briefly up to debate. I think you wonderfully captured a glimpse into what the bookstore is all about.

Your story may not have been a mystery but your film was certainly about mystery and it was refreshing to see the non-stereotypical approach. Well done!

Randy Smith October 6th, 2013 01:44 PM

Really enjoyed this more than I thought I would have if you would have just described it on paper! He's great on camera and his enthusiasm really shines through!

Also liked the subtle but great looking motion on your end titles.

Only thing that stood out to me was the jump-cut at 2:08,everything else was excellent!

Andrew Bove October 7th, 2013 10:34 AM

Thanks for the nice words everyone!
I spent a lot of time trying to find the right subject, and feel very fortunate I found Ian and this shop. He was as nice in person as he was on camera. The shop, and everyone there, had a really great energy about it/them.

I had a bunch of other mysterious ideas which I discarded after scouting and pre-interviews... fortune tellers, palm readers, a witch supply shop, etc. None would have worked out as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Lewis (Post 1815687)
I also noticed the surreptitious placement of a chesterfield in one of the shots

Nothing says "Mystery" quite like a chesterfield!

Toni Dolce October 7th, 2013 01:39 PM

Hi Andrew,

The movie is very well crafted with a perfect accompanying choice of music. I imagine it is pretty difficult to make books look interesting on film because they don't really move. You did a good job incorporating movement into the piece. The subject, Ian, was very well spoken and I think a great representative for the "Mysterious Bookshop"

Well done!

Lorinda Norton October 8th, 2013 11:34 PM

Ooh, I loved the timing of the slowly opening door with the slight crescendo in the music, just as Ian spoke about curiosity! Mystery within a documentary on a mystery bookshop--gotta love it!

This compelling piece doubles as a great entry in this round and an advertisement that The Mysterious Bookshop should be proud to use in some capacity. Do they have it on their Web site?

Sean Clancy October 9th, 2013 09:09 AM

Really liked this Andrew. Well done! Great tone and pace and your subject is a great speaker on camera