INTROSPECTACLE - Feedback - DVC#5 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old April 14th, 2006, 12:15 PM   #31
Regular Crew

The wmv version works! Thank you!

I like your film, especially the editing style and slapstick scenes.
Volker Krieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2006, 12:19 PM   #32
Major Player

Thank you Volker

Yay! I was worried there for a minute. .wmv is all new to me. Thank you so much for letting me know Volker!

Best wishes~
Bradley
Bradley L Marlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2006, 01:03 PM   #33
Regular Crew

Pretty interesting stuff. I'll probably have to watch it a couple more times before I fully get it. Haha. Anyway, amazing shot composition, espeicially on your own! I made a short all by myself once, it was pretty difficult to get the framing right, but it was definately a fun challenge.

But I just gotta ask, where did you get those teeth? I do hope they are fake, right?
Old April 14th, 2006, 01:15 PM   #34
Major Player

Thank you Tyler

Yes - I'll bet that movie you did by yourself was a challenge! It certainly was for me and I wrestled with the same concerns.

Those TEETH! Actually, those are my real teeth. Why? Are you making fun of me? Just kidding...lol. Actually, those are called "Billy Bob Puck Teeth". I found those on eBay as well as the coke-bottle glasses. Gotta love it!

Best Wishes and look forward to your film~
Bradley
Old April 15th, 2006, 12:42 AM   #35
Trustee

Dude! Dude? Dood? Dang...

So, I can say nothing about this as I am wondering how I will ever show my face round these parts again. I have watched most of the first set now and I'll say the same thing I said in the other posts on the other "about" threads... Dude!

I think that says it pretty clearly. The quality of the QT is super. We must chat about your compression methods when this is over.

Sean McHenry

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2006, 09:53 AM   #36
Regular Crew

Wow. Absurd. This movie is so stupid. And I mean that in a good way. It cracked me up almost to tears. Of all the DVCs so far this this is one of the movies with the highest replay value. Amazing editing. Great use of music and sound effects. I love the jump cuts all over the place. Jump cuts are extremely hard to do right, but you got it perfect. The back and forth dialog at the end is the best part: great acting too. On the negative side, I think there's a problem with the sequence of the character falling on the rock. The way you shot that part is confusing (though the multiple inserts of the rock in anticipation are great). But, considering you were doing everything yourself, it's just a tiny criticism. It's mind-boggling that you could get such great shots on your own while acting in the movie.
Old April 15th, 2006, 01:17 PM   #37
Regular Crew

That was NUTS! And I mean that in a good way. Silly, absurd, and at the same time, poignant, beautiful. With the scenics, you really made that Canon XL1 shine visually. Total props.
Robert Kirkpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2006, 11:16 AM   #38
Major Player

Thank you Sean

I think :) Love to get comments from the winner of the DVC #2. (You are the one of the OG's for sure)

"Dude! Dude? Dood? Dang...Dude!"

lol...Sean! Care to expand on the dudature descriptions?

As for wondering how you will show your face- that is simply absurd! You always turn in top quality films and I really look forward to seeing this latest creation.

PS: I'm more than happy to share my QT conversion/compression methods.

Here are the details and if this helps even one person, I'm a happy camper:

* I edit on a Mac OS 10.3.9 using Final Cut Pro HD 4.5
* Then select "In to Out" points on the project
* Select FILE>EXPORT>USING QuickTime Conversion
* When the Dialog Box opens click "OPTIONS" (for the QT Movie Format)
* Under Video, click settings
* For Compression Type >Select>Sorenson Video 3
* For Frame Rate> Select>Current FPS
* For Key Frames>Type 300
* For Data Rate>Select>Automatic
* For Compressor Quality> Move the slider to "High"
* Click OK and then go to the Size Settings
* Click>Custom Size>Type in 320x240 (or whatever you want)>Click OK
* Go to the Sounds Settings>Select IMA 4:1>16bit>Stereo (44.1 or 32kHz)

I hope this helps.

Best Wishes~
Bradley

Last edited by Bradley L Marlow; April 16th, 2006 at 02:19 PM.
Old April 16th, 2006, 11:25 AM   #39
Major Player

Thank you Jean-Francois

Wow! Sure enjoyed your comments and am pleased you liked it.

May I have your permission to use some of the comments you wrote on my homemade DVD cover? Let me know?

Also appreciate your thoughts on the sequence of "Crash Malone" being impaled. I agree- perhaps just a couple of extra shots would have done the trick.

Best Wishes~
Bradley
Old April 16th, 2006, 11:32 AM   #40
Major Player

Thank you Robert K

Wow again! Thoroughly appreciated your comments as well and thank you for taking the time to post them.

I would love to get permission from you too- to use your comments on my homemade DVD cover. Let me know?

Thanks for the kind words on the scenics and the XL1 too. Still feel that I am learning that magnificent camera and have only just begun to grasp all that it can do.

Look forward to seeing your film!

Best Wishes~
Bradley
Old April 17th, 2006, 07:10 AM   #41
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley L Marlow
I would love to get permission from you too- to use your comments on my homemade DVD cover. Let me know?
You definitely have my permission. Still amazed at what you did with the XL1.
Robert Kirkpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2006, 08:24 AM   #42
Trustee

Bradley,
Does OG stand for Old Guy? That's me.

You did good.

Nothing particular on the Dude refs. Just felt right at the time.

See ya. Be kind to mine later.

Sean

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2006, 07:01 AM   #43
Major Player

I enjoyed the dichotomy of how pretty and serene it starts out and then Bam it's silly and goofy. But then, as goofy of a character as he is, he's still got all the same wants and regrets as everyone else so that the contrast really plays all the way through if you're paying attention.

Speaking of paying attention, I watched it again this morning so that I could comment and caught for the first time which version of our hero it was fussing with the TP on the bottom of his shoe. Subtle foreshadowing? Even in death he's goofy? Or did I read it wrong the first time and that's not really his ghost or spirit or whatever?

Anyway, ditto to what everyone else said about the editing, sound, and general production value.

Smile,
Kris
Kris Holodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2006, 02:05 PM   #44
Major Player

Excellent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Kirkpatrick
You definitely have my permission. Still amazed at what you did with the XL1.
Thank you Robert! Much appreciated!

Best wishes~
Bradley
Old April 18th, 2006, 02:20 PM   #45
Major Player

Thank you Kris!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Holodak
I enjoyed the dichotomy of how pretty and serene it starts out and then Bam it's silly and goofy. But then, as goofy of a character as he is, he's still got all the same wants and regrets as everyone else so that the contrast really plays all the way through if you're paying attention.

Speaking of paying attention, I watched it again this morning so that I could comment and caught for the first time which version of our hero it was fussing with the TP on the bottom of his shoe. Subtle foreshadowing? Even in death he's goofy? Or did I read it wrong the first time and that's not really his ghost or spirit or whatever?

Anyway, ditto to what everyone else said about the editing, sound, and general production value.

Smile,
Kris
"Even in death, he's goofy." Yes - you got it!

Wow. Am thrilled that you liked the dichotomy of the film and his personal yet universal wants/regrets. Thank you so much!

I like playing with the idea of "higher selves/other selves". Other pieces of us. Even considering that the life we are all so familiar with, in our own skin, may just actually be a fraction of who we really are. Perhaps we are not so aware of this until the end.

Given that Crash Malone is a goofy guy, I would think that his Higher Self/Spirit is goofy as well.

Best Wishes~
Bradley
Bradley L Marlow is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!