DVC 5- Feedback- Proof of God - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old April 17th, 2006, 02:23 AM   #16
Major Player

Chris,

Any chance you are an attorney in real life? No work without a retainer, even if the client is GOD. You truly captured the spirit of the attorneys I know. My eldest brother is one of the pack.

I live in Barrow County Georgia, and we could have used GOD on our side. Those liberal pinko, ACLU types made us take down our ten commandments from our courthouse, and since then violent crime and satanic practices have rising 47%. Why, we even gots people making MOVIES in our County now.

I couldn't make this movie in Barrow County Georgia without guys and white sheets showing up at my door. God drivng a Kia Sorento?

I think I would have used a deep resonate voice over for the voice of GOD. And maybe an insert to him reading a news article on the 10 commandments, rather than have God's exposition on the situation. I try to avoid exposition as it's hard to make it sound real. But kudo's on the phone call. As Lorinda said, it really seemed honest. And you're a hellava actor yourself.

You certainly got a guy that looks like God, rather looks like Jesus. Then there is the whole thing about Jesus BEING God, what with the Father, Son, and the Holy Ghost being one.

Sorry if this meesage is rambling and lacking in sense. It's four in the morning, I'm sick, and really need to try to get back to sleep.
Good job.
Dick Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2006, 03:24 AM   #17
Major Player

I especially like how the story gets developed and the quite unexpected ending, I had a good time watching it several times :)
Old April 17th, 2006, 03:25 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Mays
Chris,

Any chance you are an attorney in real life? No work without a retainer, even if the client is GOD. You truly captured the spirit of the attorneys I know. My eldest brother is one of the pack.
Got me Dick-- Figured I had to go with what I know for the first film :) Yeah thats my real small town, and my real small town office....
Old April 17th, 2006, 03:26 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugurel Dragusin
I especially like how the story gets developed and the quite unexpected ending, I had a good time watching it several times :)
Mugurel:

Thanks for the nice comments !
Old April 17th, 2006, 03:29 PM   #20
Regular Crew

I liked how you used the reflections in the windows. Nice touch.
Old April 17th, 2006, 03:29 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton
Hey Chris,

You managed to walk the line on two fronts without crossing it, in my opinion. Good job!

Someone mentioned in another thread that phone conversations are hard to pull off. I felt like yours was completely believable. Was there actually someone on the other end of that phone?
No one on other end Lorinda, but that is just about the same conversation I have with my wife from that same desk every day just before quitting time-- except for the "seeing things" of course, so it came fairly natural...

Thanks for your comments.
Old April 18th, 2006, 05:28 AM   #22
Trustee

Chris:

Let me tell you my biggest disappointment: I WANTED TO SEE THAT TRIAL! You made a darned good contemporary issue flick. Your choice in music gave the film its character. Your reflections reference was straightforward. What jarred me a bit were the constant dissolves. I felt they took away from the scene. Was there a reason you used that technique?
Old April 18th, 2006, 09:54 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh DiMauro
Chris:

Let me tell you my biggest disappointment: I WANTED TO SEE THAT TRIAL! You made a darned good contemporary issue flick. Your choice in music gave the film its character. Your reflections reference was straightforward. What jarred me a bit were the constant dissolves. I felt they took away from the scene. Was there a reason you used that technique?
Inexperience. As I indicated in thread earlier, this was my first try at something like this, and I would have done cutaways, to keyboard, and empty doorway. In fact, I thought we had actually done "empty" doorway cutaways, but all we really did was shoot some with the "god" actor in the doorway. Duh.... So at editing, I was left with cutting up several takes, and using the best from each, thus the cross dissolves. I found it hard to act, and be concerned about camera angles all at the same time. A lesson for next time..
Old April 18th, 2006, 04:06 PM   #24
Major Player

Great work. The ending was well fitting. It was a good viewing experience.

God was cool and relaxed. I like it. Not angry and jealous like the old testament.
Richard Zlamany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2006, 05:37 PM   #25
Major Player

I guess it's been mostly said already -- the dissolves/jump cuts were a little distracting during the dialogue, but that's been covered. I liked your idea. It's pretty ambitious getting God to act for you -- not sure I have the courage for that one.

It has a certain tabloid-style attraction that's pretty fun, and using a historic event to play off of was cool to see too.
Philip Gioja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2006, 09:11 AM   #26
Regular Crew

good job, however I cannot believe no one mentioned it yet. Honestly if some dude just showed up, reflection or not, and claimed to be God, i would be like umm you are crazy. I mean he just accepts with out any questions this is God?

I would have had tons of questions. Like how do I know I am not crazy, why in the heck am I talking to my hallucination. I would be like prove you are God, why do you looke like a human? If he could prove he was God during the conversation I would have then had MANY questions to ask.

It was good, I just cannot see any person out of no where accepted some reflection is God, and jumps right into defending him and make sure you get my money God, lol, but that was the best part, I liked it.

Anyways that is my only complaint, and I understand it would be hard to develope that into the short time. However, there are a few parts some time could have been shaven off, allowing for him to ask at least one good question before he talks to a refection.
Neil Fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2006, 10:16 AM   #27
Inner Circle

Its surprising how much gets left to the imagination in a five minute film. DV Challenge usually is limited to 3 minutes. I had a hard time stuffing what I did do into 5 minutes, took some scenes and did some drastic jump cuts. That surprised me, as this was my first attempt at something like this. I thought it was going to be hard to fill 5 minutes-- but just the opposite was true..
Old July 25th, 2006, 07:29 AM   #28
Regular Crew

Very interesting concept......I agree with the above poster, I would love to see the "trial"....
Sheldon Blais is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!