DVC 5 Feedback - A Memory of a Dream - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old April 18th, 2006, 09:47 PM   #16
Regular Crew

I watched it several times (I have watched all of them several times).

I guess I like art pieces. I didn't know that until I read some of the other posts. Sean, I agree, music is very inspiring and can really enhace and even make a picture. The story was communicated pretty well and techinically it was excellent.
Bruce Broussard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2006, 09:49 PM   #17
Trustee

20 guage with pistol grip. That "cha chunk" sound is all I need to feel better in the dark waiting for the burglars to peek around the corner.

Mind you, I don't spend too many nights sitting in the dark with the thing in my hands. In fact, there is quite a layer of dust on the beast as it has been propped up in the corner of the closet for about 2 years.

Security in knowing it's there I suppose. It is cable locked through the breech. Doesn't make for easy quick access however.

S.

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2006, 10:07 PM   #18
Major Player

I liked it, dark. I liked the mood you set. the music and the visuals went together well for me. i hate the google thing, it was a bit blotchy.
It did feel like a dream to me. kind of abstract but with a thread. I always admire those that push the limits and test the mind. I thought the shots were engaging and with some filters or arty post work could have been very spooky. You are on to something.
Michael Fossenkemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2006, 04:32 AM   #19
Major Player

I really like it to be honest, comparing to DVC4. Nice music and mood that settles in, very well done. Really makes me watching it again, be right back! :)
Old April 19th, 2006, 07:17 AM   #20
Trustee

Eeesh. Don't compare anything I have done with DVC4. The Christmas thing is one I may never claim. For some reason I wasn't too crazy about the delivery on that one myself. I suppose the concept was OK. Delivery wasn't up to my standards. It was shot in the dark to get the fireplace in it but I should have put at least a small diffused spot on me to pull me out of the murk. More dual shots would have been better and me as an actor, with a speaking role, what was I thinking? Old history.

Glad mostly everyone is liking it so far. I told everyone it was going to be different.

Sean McHenry

Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2006, 08:45 AM   #21
Trustee

Sean:

You have the makings of a great film stylist. Use of music/image is great and I particularly love the fact that you didn't overuse your images. For example, some images you held on screen for a very short time. Some filmmakers are so proud of certain shots that they keep them on screen too long. You paced each shot well. Giving us a glimpse. Just enough time.

Cool dreams.
Old April 19th, 2006, 12:24 PM   #22
Major Player

Serious hat...

Ok Sean,

All goofing around aside (whose gun is bigger-the OG-Dude!), I thought I would put on my serious hat and give you a respectful post.

I really enjoyed the imagery in your film. Sepia toned seemingly dead trees wafting in the wind. The cold feel. Dead plants watered with gasoline. Sad and contemplative cherubs. Several nervous glances in a rearview mirror. A cut thumb. A gun and leather jacket. And a very interesting airplane wing (where did you get that?)

Yes- I noticed your mirror sequence right off. Very nice effect. In fact, the first one was my favorite.

I thought your choice of music worked very well. Plus, the added creaking door suggesting you are about to walk into a "strange room" was terrific.

Sometimes with art pieces, unlike Meryem, I bonk myself over the head grasping for meaning. Trying to make sense out of what it is I’m watching. For some films, I find myself doing this more than others.

Yes, I do have a dark side and do like to explore it at times. This film allowed me to do that in some way.

Best Wishes~
Bradley
Bradley L Marlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2006, 03:47 PM   #23
Wrangler

The new link worked much better for me because I was able to save it first. Thank you.

Not enough attention has been given to your audio work. Were my ears playing tricks or were you panning those early effects (lightning, etc.)? It sounded very, very cool when I was able to listen at a better level today. (Don't want to wake up the house with that kind of music, ya know? :)

I think someone mentioned your image placement. I really, really liked the place in the music where the band is saying, "Wake up, wake up, It's just a dream" and only your reflection walks out of the bathroom. I've had dreams like that where I wanted to leave and only part of me did. You nailed that.

Watching it again I was able to get caught up in the dream--which may or may not be a good thing. ;) You did a really good job with this, Sean. Congratulations!!
Old April 19th, 2006, 08:45 PM   #24
Trustee

While I would love to take even a small amount of credit for the soundtrack, I cannot. The audio was completly part of the muical piece. I wish I had done all that. I will pass on your comments to Rick Abbott. rick is in advertising in NY. He has worked on several high level commerical campaigns including a few of the M&Ms spots.

He enjoyed the piece as well. I will say again that the strength of my pieces is in deciphering the qualities in various musical works and looking for just the right thing to visually represent that sound or music. On previous DVChallenges I have used a mix of live sound and 2 or 3 other musical pieces from folks like KDream, Baranimo, Glitterstar, Ronni Raygun and others. Ricks stage name for his musical work is Celiac. All these folks can be contacted and their music listened to at unsignedbandweb.com.

The folks on that site are for the majority very eager to allow their music to be used by folks like us. They are not signed to any labels and hold all their own rights to their works. I have written dozens of people from the site and all but one said I could use what I wanted. They have also been happy with my use of their works. So much so that one of the musicians actually entered Frame 37 on my behalf in a small festival in Strasbourg, France. He sent me the poster from the showing. I had it printeds out and framed. It has a nice shot of my daughter on the poster and the title. The rest is in French, and quite cool.

Hope that helps. I take credit for mixes but if it belongs to someone else, I'll be upfront about it and even tell you who it is. It's in the credits too but I didn't add a thing to this soundtrack except the visuals. It's all in the timing and shot selection.

Sean McHenry

Sean McHenry is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!