DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DVC Feedback! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-feedback/)
-   -   DVC5 Feedback - Theory (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-feedback/65213-dvc5-feedback-theory.html)

Mugurel Dragusin April 16th, 2006 12:22 PM

DVC5 Feedback - Theory

That was all about it, we all do great when it comes to theory but fail when it comes to practice. Shows the story of a couple who joined DVC5 and how after 1 month they had no movies to submit, reflecting in an "what if" way.

I'm not too fond of my voice, sorry if you have trouble understanding what I am saying there.

Constructive criticism is the goal of this whole competition so your reply is very much welcome.

Thank you for viewing!

Robert Martens April 16th, 2006 01:46 PM

I think your voice suits you just fine, but I think better microphone positioning would dramatically help intelligibility. I ended up buying a light/mic/grip stand for just this purpose, as a boom operator was impractical. Attach the microphone in its shock mount, extend the arm over the scene, and record. Not ideal, perhaps, but better than having it sit some distance away.

You had a great concept, "Use what you don't have." No idea for a movie, make that the idea, it's brilliant! Not much in the way of your hometown, and I would have liked to see some other angles (specifically some over-the-shoulder shots for each person), but there's only so much one can accomplish in a limited timeframe.

You did the best with what you had available, and I admire that regardless of the result (though this result wasn't bad at all).

Volker Krieger April 16th, 2006 04:37 PM

Funny idea that! Did I understand right, that each of you accuses the other of failing the DV Challenge? This is the end of art - and the beginning ;)

Meryem Ersoz April 16th, 2006 09:35 PM

it's not clear to me whether that big long take in the middle is a deliberate artistic choice or a symptom of not knowing what to do with your material....maybe you could shed some light on this?

Mugurel Dragusin April 16th, 2006 10:04 PM

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback so far.

Meryem, this short idea came out few hours before submission deadline, exactly as a result of not having anything shot. I was very determined to not be without a short. I wanted to be like this as lack of time to actually write a script and shot different angles. Everything that you see is not scripted. Hope this helps :)

Lorinda Norton April 16th, 2006 11:52 PM

Even though it ran a bit long (I think this would have been great at 3 minutes) I got a big kick out of it! What a funny last minute idea!!

The time problem reminded me of a great television series that runs one season too long. :) But you did a good job, Magurel, and I really liked your lighting in the opening scene.

Bradley L Marlow April 17th, 2006 12:47 AM

Hi Mugurel!

You certainly are a brave soul! Consider that we film makers are already stressed out about completing our films in the time allotted. Here you go waiting until there are only a few hours left to submit!

I think my brain would explode if I waited that long.

I did like the direction you were taking in the beginning and did wonder about the long segment (without different camera angles). I can now see the reason why. When she kept saying "I gave you 4-5 ideas..." I found myself wondering what those ideas were? Perhaps they could be completely off the wall concepts (shared with us). Just an idea.

You are to be congratulated for finishing your film...on time!

Best wishes~
Bradley

Sean McHenry April 17th, 2006 01:10 AM

I waited till the end as well. You however used that waiting to make the story. Very nice, and you kept a sense of humor about it. That shows something too.

Good job. I think you may have been shooting at the edge of the light your camera could use? It looked a bit like the iris went into +6 or better which might have given you some noise in the image that didn't compress too well. Just an idea.

I have my camera set do it never pumps the levels above +6 db. Adds noise when I do.

My only criticism is the light. Still, it was a nice piece.

Sean McHenry

Meryem Ersoz April 17th, 2006 08:01 AM

thanks for the explanation. hey, any time you get a video up on the web, delivered on time, that's an achievement. you have one more finished and delivered product, and it all goes to the bottom line of learning something about the immense universe of videography. not too shabby!

Dick Mays April 17th, 2006 09:18 PM

Mugural,

This is like "The Blair Witch Project." A novel idea, you can only do once. None of the rest of us will ever get away with a short about making the short.

By the way, I think this works great with the theme "reflections."
I thought it was funny. Could have had a little more drama to it. Maybe if she threw something at you, like a plate. Just a thought.

Dick

Mugurel Dragusin April 18th, 2006 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Mays
... Maybe if she threw something at you, like a plate. ...

Yes, initially was supposed that the cards were thrown creating more dramatic effect but it didn't happened. We have actually "argued" for more than 20 minutes when we actually realised that "hey, let's stop coz we can only use 4-5 minutes to use" :)

Thanks for the feedback.

Hugh DiMauro April 19th, 2006 08:02 AM

Mugurel:

Wonderful use of "mood" lighting. Nice example of improvisation. The sound, however was a bit muddied and echoey. Maybe you should have placed the mic closer? Other than that, shucks, I loved the banter between you and Judie. Sounds like you have lively conversations on your home!

Thank you!

Mugurel Dragusin April 19th, 2006 12:06 PM

That shows what a great mic I have :) It was placed beside us, in the back of the blinds, like where the clock is. Usually I take the time and re-record the sound separately but beside the fact that no time, probably the tone of voice wouldn't be so convincing anymore.