DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DVC Feedback! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-feedback/)
-   -   DVC 5 FeedBack - Sherman Reflects (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-feedback/65217-dvc-5-feedback-sherman-reflects.html)

Darryl Ahye April 16th, 2006 01:01 PM

DVC 5 FeedBack - Sherman Reflects

Here's the feedback thread for "Sherman Reflects"

Equipment: I used a Panasonic um..PSGV-65, home depot lights :), polarizier filter, Stuffed Fish, Rock..etc :D hehe

Edited in Sony Vegas...

Robert Martens April 16th, 2006 01:39 PM

Hey, Darryl, glad to see the thread show up, I wanted to thank you for the laughs. Great movie, and it looks like the friend took his job smacking Sherman in the face very seriously; "No, no, it's for the sake of the film, I have to make it look convincing, here, let me try again." I don't think I would've been able to keep a straight face while shooting a scene like that, whether I was delivering or receiving the hit. Personally, I think I laughed more at that than I did at the ending. Still funny, of course, just not as much.

I would offer the critique that the phone conversation wasn't the best, but I had the exact same problem in my short; tough to do right, I'm thinking we should all just avoid phones completely.

Meryem Ersoz April 16th, 2006 09:30 PM

okay, so...i could happily have lived out the rest of my days without putting an eyeball to the image this guy humping his bed. but it was all worth it, to get a close-up of him kissing a stuffed fish in the end...

Sean McHenry April 17th, 2006 01:27 AM

You my friend are quite brave. It reminds me of those fainting goats. Ever see those things. One loud noise and they're out and they fall over. I can see a little cartoon version of them falling down all at the same time over and over in a rain storm.

Very fun idea. Good job.

Sean McHenry

Bradley L Marlow April 17th, 2006 12:13 PM

Hi Darryl!

You did a nice job with your film. Plus, it looks like it was fun to shoot.

That opening shot will certainly get people's attention! lol I assume that was exactly what you wanted. Of course, I was definitely rooting for him to get the girl. After all, he spent quality time to clean up his toes with that toothbrush! However, if he's pleased with a stuffed clown fish, well more power to him.

For me, the download took quite some time to complete. Perhaps consider a .mov QT or .wmv file? Just a suggestion.

Best wishes~
Bradley

Chris Barcellos April 17th, 2006 04:10 PM

So I can see the interview on the Jimmy Kimmel Show now:

"So was the Fish a good kisser ?"

Very interesting film which provides an in depth exploration of human sexuality... Oh, not really. It was just funny in a kinky kind of way.

Dick Mays April 17th, 2006 08:54 PM

Darryl,

It's going to be tough to get a lot of feedback on your short when you open with a guy humping the bed. Think of a bunch of family guys with four year olds sitting on their laps while they watch the short. I tried to watch your film again tonight, (after my kids are in bed) but I have trouble with my Flash player. It is not loading. Post a Quicktime or WMV file and I'll try again.

Dick

Hugh DiMauro April 18th, 2006 05:17 AM

Sherman:

Nice use of natural light. Great "Our Man Flint" phone ring. You composed the split screen properly by having the talent facing each other. You did stretch it a bit with the theme, but hey, it's all about interpretation. Most notable was the fact that I actually felt sorry for Sherman! When you can get the audience to empathize with your character, well, you've done your job. Thank you!

Darryl Ahye April 18th, 2006 07:50 AM

Hey, Thank you all for the feedback: (Robert, Meryem, Sean, Bradley, Chris Dick, Hugh)
You guys are really cool and laid back here at DVinfo, and I feel good.

I'll try and post it somewhere else on the net as a .mov or a .wmv

This was a fun project, and I'm glad you found pieces in it that were interesting or funny.

Philip Gioja April 18th, 2006 07:11 PM

I hate doing this, but I have to agree with Dick Mays. I loaded it up at work, saw that first scene, and closed it again. I watched it later, but really didn't get into it much. It wasn't a bad idea (him not being able to deal with girls) but I felt like that could have been shown in more creative and artful ways than the guy doing it with a stuffed fish. Hope I don't make too many enemies here, but that's the way I felt about it. It was okay for a chuckle, but didn't go much farther than that for me.

Darryl Ahye April 19th, 2006 07:13 AM

Sorry for the embarrasment or discomfort, that the opening scene may have caused anyone. I hope no harm was done.

Michael Fossenkemper April 19th, 2006 08:49 AM

I thought it was pretty funny, although I didn't get the rock part. At first I couldn't even tell what it was. And you open mouth kissed that fish (I thought about how long it took to get the fuzzy hair off your tongue). I thought the face slapping went a bit too long but was funny. but other than that I found it funny and the story came through.

Darryl Ahye April 19th, 2006 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Fossenkemper
I thought it was pretty funny, although I didn't get the rock part. At first I couldn't even tell what it was. And you open mouth kissed that fish (I thought about how long it took to get the fuzzy hair off your tongue). I thought the face slapping went a bit too long but was funny. but other than that I found it funny and the story came through.

LOL...I didn't act in the movie :)

I had to cast a professional stuffed animal kisser for this flick.