DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DVC Feedback! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-feedback/)
-   -   DVC 5 Feedbacl Mirror Mirror (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-feedback/65405-dvc-5-feedbacl-mirror-mirror.html)

Richard Zlamany April 18th, 2006 04:11 PM

DVC 5 Feedbacl Mirror Mirror

Hi all. It is a pleasure watching everybody's work.

Wondering if anyone had any advice or comments about Mirror Mirror.

After I compressed it and uploaded I noticed we did't look as transparent as the original copy.

BTW, I am Rich, the bearded fellow, who needs to work badly on his acting.

Dick Mays April 18th, 2006 04:26 PM

Rich,

I thought the acting was fairly natural sounding. Your lighting was great. I loved the lighting on your actress' hair. My advice would be to connect the mirror to the relationship. We care more about the work when the relationship is strong.

At least I do. The rest of these D.P. types might advise you to add a dolly shot!

Dick

Chris Barcellos April 18th, 2006 05:14 PM

I saw "Mirror, Mirror", and I was looking for a feed back. As I recall, with the compressed version, things looked a litte washed out, but I thought the special effects came across pretty good.

I like the film. Kudos to you.

Philip Gioja April 18th, 2006 05:19 PM

I thought the idea was a creative and interesting one, and your effects were pretty cool. It's a hard story to flesh out in 5 minutes -- I felt like I wanted to see the backstory of why the mirror was cursed, and what the aunt looked like (probably scary with spiderwebs in her hair...), and maybe a little more fright by the actors when they find out that they are dissappearing. Cool idea!

Robert Martens April 18th, 2006 05:23 PM

Hey, Rich, we all need acting lessons, don't be too hard on yourself; the only way to get better is to do it more often, and get used to the relationship between what it feels like to do, and what results you get on camera. I'm sure the more we all practice, the more convincing we'll be. This sounded fine, and conveyed the needed information.

You had a simple, short and to-the-point story, something I like. You set things up, got us into the action, and wrapped things up neatly, with some fancy-pants effects thrown in for good measure. The perfect formula for a short film. Well done!

Sean McHenry April 18th, 2006 06:00 PM

I saw either a Twilight Zone or Outer Limits (the originals) that delt with a mirror that took people back in time. As I recall, someone found it in their atic, painted over. The trouble began when they took the paint off the thing. Spooky.

Yours was a good shot at a variation nobody else has done, at least that we know of so far. I though it was pretty original and a good story idea. It might have been a bit scarier if there were other people inside the mirror with them. Sort of like "White Noise" maybe.

Good work. On the acting, you'r not as bad as, well, me. I learned a while back to make my roles non-speaking.

I liked it.

Sean McHenry

Bradley L Marlow April 18th, 2006 07:28 PM

Hi Richard!

Was wondering where you were. Glad you posted a thread.

I think many of you are too hard on yourselves regarding acting. Like Dick Mays said, it came across pretty natural. I thought Kate did a great job! Please let her know that her facial expressions and delivery were quite good and she should continue performing.

Your story concept was nice too. Old cursed things handed down from dead relatives? Yes! It seems to touch that little kid inside...the one who snuck around in the attic, scouring for hidden dusty treasures behind the cobwebs.

Perhaps a small injection of something more creepy and bizzarre with a few extra shots here and there might have an added punch? Just a thought.

Did you play the guitar for this? Nice.

Best Wishes~
Bradley

Lorinda Norton April 18th, 2006 07:54 PM

Your movies are always cool, Richard. (I still laugh about the Jealous Camera. :) This one just finished too soon for me.

I was hoping the guy in this was you, because I thought you did a great job, as did Kate. Keep 'em coming!

Meryem Ersoz April 18th, 2006 08:33 PM

this was very enjoyable to watch. i watched it first thing yesterday morning (glad you got your feedback thread up and running...), and it went well with my morning coffee.... i would have liked a bit more focus on the lore-ish aspects to enhance the overall creepiness. great effects, and i thought the acting was pretty good. it's hard, when you throw a bunch of videographers, who would rather be behind the camera, out front. all part of the fun, plus we can put faces to the names.

Hugh DiMauro April 19th, 2006 07:44 AM

Rich:

Cute little movie. I liked the special effects. Gee, I hope you guys find your way back because I don't think iPods work in mirrors!

Michael Fossenkemper April 19th, 2006 08:36 AM

Nice effects. I'm going to watch it again.

Richard Zlamany April 20th, 2006 01:49 PM

Thanks for the comments and advice. Kate is very happy with the praise on her acting. She also wrote the story based on my idea, wouldn't it be cool if we had our characters trapped in a mirror. And yes, I played guitar for the opening.

Don't worry, we are out of the mirror. The mirror was given to me by my deceased Grandfather. It is in bad shape and I haven't hung it up yet. I am waiting for our next move.

Thanks everyone the feedback. It is encouraging to us.

Bradley L Marlow April 20th, 2006 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Zlam
Kate is very happy with the praise on her acting. She also wrote the story based on my idea, wouldn't it be cool if we had our characters trapped in a mirror. And yes, I played guitar for the opening.

Hey Richard- love to hear Kate has a smile on her face. Very cool indeed! Has she also been watching our little movies?

Nice one on the guitar. How long have you been playing?

Best Wishes~
Bradley