DVC #6 - Mugurel Dragusin at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old August 21st, 2006, 08:58 AM   #1
Trustee

DVC #6 - Mugurel Dragusin

Everything about your movie touched me deeply. The combined photography/dialog/subject matter just reinforced what I never thought could be true until about two years ago. Isn't that what movies are supposed to do?

By the way, Mugurel, your profile has guaranteed you a permanent place in cinematic history. You must act in many more productions. You have that "x-factor" that the camera lens likes.
Old August 21st, 2006, 09:28 AM   #2
Major Player

extremely simple and beautiful. I just loved that most of the short was one camera angle, no movement. It felt like going on vacation, you know how it takes you a little while to wind down, but then you get into the slowness of it. It really allowed the story to shine through loud and clear. And a beautiful shot it was. The only criticism would be the audio. A little roomy sounding which took away from the intimate vide. Would have just moved the mic a little closer. But what a great job. It actually brought a small tear to my eye.
Michael Fossenkemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2006, 10:00 AM   #3
Major Player

Yes the dialog faded out in spots but oh my, some beautiful shots there. Very nice job.
Dennis Khaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2006, 10:42 AM   #4
Wrangler

You and your wife make a great team, Magurel. I remember how well you played off each other in the last challenge, and now this one is even better!

That darn audio almost got you again (it's often my nemesis, as well) but I just turned it up and did fine.

Nicely done. Thank you.
Old August 21st, 2006, 10:42 AM   #5
Major Player

Wasn't quite following along until you got to that one line [edited out so I don't spoil it for others]. WOW! What a heart wrencher! Very, VERY well done. Yeah, the audio seemed to drop out in spots but, overall, the video work with lighting, framing and angles were spot on. Nice work.
www.elpilon.com
Edward Slonaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2006, 10:51 AM   #6
Trustee

Mugurel,
I too liked it but we have to get you a good microphone. I liked the story idea. I liked the sentimental mood of it. I liked the choice of shots. It was quite good but we have to be able to hear you better.

Overall, very touching and likeable. Please keep doing these.

Sean

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2006, 11:40 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Very well written. I really liked the colors and lighting. Very touching.
Bruce Broussard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2006, 01:11 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Mugurel, I know there have already been lots of comments about the audio, but the audio holes do really distract from the story. I don't think it's necessary to buy new or expensive mics. You just need to fill in the holes with room tone. Make sure you get 30 seconds of ambience track at each location so that you can fill in the holes as necessary. When mastering the audio in post, listen to it with good quality headphones - it will be very unforgiving to any audio flaws.

Other than that, good story, nice lighting, and overall a solid entry. Congrats.
Eric Gan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2006, 01:25 PM   #9
Major Player

I'm with the others on the sound (though the lines are easier to understand on subsequent viewings), but I got the point anyway, and like the movie. The shadows on your face are wonderful, and the whole picture takes on a golden, or perhaps copper, tone. An excellent choice.

I'm not so convinced the music was right, though. I can certainly appreciate that it's simple, reflecting, I imagine, the simple love between two people (I don't mean simple in a bad way, mind you), but it sounded a little too artificial for my taste. Almost like a jack-in-the-box. That's not to suggest music is an easy thing to create (you did better than I've ever done, that's for sure), I just think this story would have been better served by something else. I don't know what, unfortunately, so I'm not sure my opinion in such matters is worth anything.
Robert Martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2006, 01:37 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I really liked the look of this film as other mentioned. I'll use the term "golden". Also, as others mentioned, the audio was a bit hard to hear. But with earphones its ok. The story was excellent. Great film
John Brickner Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2006, 09:47 PM   #11
Inner Circle

After our second films, I think we can agree sound should be king. Your accents are a bit hard to follow, and when the microphone is not quite right, it makes it tough to follow.

I love the color and feel of the film-- and its true that you and your wife come across as very loving to each other.

Great one !!
Old August 21st, 2006, 10:19 PM   #12
Major Player

Speechless

I am literally speechless (that's why I am typing) while reading your comments.
I don't understand how this feedback thread started as I can't see any posting with the movies, seems things go different this time?

*edit* for some reason I had to refresh several time to see the finalists thread :) Downloading now ..

On the comments now, a big thank you. On the bad audio, well, isn't the prize of this one a nicer microphone? I currently used the microphone of the newly purchased camcorder, a Panasonic GS35 (the older entries were shot with a camera using it's rudimentary video mode). Whether by winning or buying, I am certainly planning to have a better microphone.

When it comes to post-production, I am a one man show, therefore I have (but the point is that I want) to compose the music as well, I have no music background and what I do is by the ear, probably will get better by the time as I plan to take on some lessons :)

If there is anyone to thank to, are those who gave up a few minutes of their lives to watch our entries and took even more time to give so valuable feedback which helped us improve, thank you!

Last edited by Mugurel Dragusin; August 21st, 2006 at 10:35 PM. Reason: got iy
Mugurel Dragusin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2006, 10:31 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugurel Dragusin
I am literally speechless (that's why I am typing) while reading your comments.
I don't understand how this feedback thread started as I can't see any posting with the movies, seems things go different this time?

On the comments now, a big thank you. On the bad audio, well, isn't the prize of this one a nicer microphone? I currently used the microphone of the newly purchased camcorder, a Panasonic GS35 (the older entries were shot with a camera using it's rudimentary video mode). Whether by winning or buying, I am certainly planning to have a better microphone.

When it comes to post-production, I am a one man show, therefore I have (but the point is that I want) to compose the music as well, I have no music background and what I do is by the ear, probably will get better by the time as I plan to take on some lessons :)

If there is anyone to thank to, are those who gave up a few minutes of their lives to watch our entries and took even more time to give so valuable feedback which helped us improve, thank you!

Here is thread site for first entries posting:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=73982
Old August 21st, 2006, 10:36 PM   #14
Regular Crew

The light here is fantastic and the stark serenity suits the spoken material very well. I can't believe such a long take worked out so smoothly!

I must be honest about the dialog. As I was watching and she was about to answer him, I said aloud, "Don't say ____". And sure enough, she said it. Maybe I'm just a cynic but that sort of response always makes me roll my eyes. I like the sentiment but somehow the execution seemed too cliche. I hope that doesn't offend you but I thought with all the positive responses it couldn't hurt to speak my mind.

It's a sweet little movie.

-j
Jay Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2006, 10:37 PM   #15
Major Player

there I go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos
Here is thread site for first entries posting:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=73982
Thank you for pointing it out. Had to keep refreshing.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!