DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DVC Feedback! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-feedback/)
-   -   DVC 6 Feedback - Replaced by Kris Holodak (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-feedback/74047-dvc-6-feedback-replaced-kris-holodak.html)

Kris Holodak August 22nd, 2006 04:46 AM

DVC 6 Feedback - Replaced by Kris Holodak

Ok, I'm ready. Bring it on. I know a couple of little things I'd have changed if I hadn't been out all day on Sunday. But over all I'm pretty happy with it. We were aiming for a cross between a 70's British documentary (think Richard Attenboro sitting on a rock in Egypt) and the overly dramatic modern news magazines like Dateline. We made ourselves laugh anyway so in that sense I feel like a winner already.

Camera: panasonic dvx100a
Tripod: Davis & Sanford Pro Vista
Mic: I'll have to check when I get into work
Lights: mostly sun with some bounce where possible
Edited with Final Cut Pro
Music: random loop out of Soundtrack Pro

Justin Tomchuk August 22nd, 2006 06:48 AM

Hey Kris, it felt a lot like dateline. I looks like something you would see on TV, except for the 'dumb' statements the people had to say. LOL. I think the name banner at the bottom while interviewing is what made it look more real. And the 'Reenactment', Haha.

Just some things that may have been able to fix. When the interviewer was speaking with the lady with the pink shirt and dog, the background grass was almost blown out. If some sort of white reflector was used on the subjects, then it would look a bit more balanced.

The NASA Scientist would have looked better if he was faced towards a window so that all you see is his silhouette instead of a big blur on his face. That one is sort of up to what you want, but it's just my opinion.

I liked your video, it had a great documentary feel.

Hugh DiMauro August 22nd, 2006 06:56 AM

Kris:

For some reason I cannot download past 8%. I will continue trying. Thank you for your hard work.

Michael Fossenkemper August 22nd, 2006 08:37 AM

pretty funny. it looks like you studied some news documentaries to get the pacing down. I also laughed when you swing around on the picknick table like they do in dramatic news. I really like the highlighted text in the paper thing. I can never figure out how to do that. I thought you did have some lighting issues here and there but it's tough to get anything right in such a short time, especially with many outdoor scenes.

good job.

Lorinda Norton August 22nd, 2006 08:44 AM

I'll bet this is one of those videos that was a blast behind-the-scenes, besides funny for us. You did a really good job with your outrageous documentary! That's hard work gathering all those personalities--lots of writing too.

Michael beat me to it--the segment with the text "lifting" off the paper really wowed me. Nice job!!!

Kris Holodak August 22nd, 2006 08:50 AM

We cracked ourselves up in the coffee shop writing it that first Saturday. I'm sure my neighbors think I'm insane standing on my deck holding an umbrella for shade over the camera for 45 minutes while the ice melted (they were all watching out their windows).

The paper thing was just photoshop layers scaling in. If I was more of that kind of an artist I'd have made the paper look torn, but it was coming out stupid looking when I tried.

Hugh - I tested on multiple platforms and environements so all I can think is too many people trying to download at once. If you try again later and it still doesn't work send me an email and I'll see what I can figure out.

Hugh DiMauro August 22nd, 2006 09:02 AM

Kris:

Nice lower thirds work. Very tongue-in cheek. Very original idea.

Sean McHenry August 22nd, 2006 09:06 AM

Kris,
Really nice graphics, good ideas. I like the news angle. I think it worked out pretty well. The only technical thing I see, and I am guilty too, I would have used a white card or reflector to bounce some light back onto the other side of the reporter.

Other than that, I hope those guys have a sense of humor. I would hate to think you just may just vanish one day. Those guys are big in government you know. If you do vanish, we'll have a good idea who is responsible.

It was fun.

Thanks,

Sean

John Brickner Jr August 22nd, 2006 12:09 PM

I like the theme use alot. It's like the sun is some evil multi-national corporation like Microsoft or something and people are fed up with it. Good work.

Dick Mays August 22nd, 2006 06:30 PM

Kris,

Very original idea. That's the problem with those no-bid contracts. Give the administration honchos the keys to our energy future, and we'll all be paying for our sun tans.

I would have liked the addition of a moment of urgency. Some LATE BREAKING news scoop, angle maybe. It was almost TOO MUCH like the news. But I suppose that is a good thing :)

Dick

Chris Barcellos August 22nd, 2006 06:53 PM

That was an ambitious shooting, given the limited amount of time we had-- and you guys pulled it off !! Nice job.

Jay Silver August 22nd, 2006 08:57 PM

I agree - a very ambitious shoot. Some of you must have loads of friends to get so many people on board in such a short time.

I like the different approach in this one, both in subject matter and presentation. It hit all the right beats at the right time for that sort of news magazine piece. The "reenactment" was especially funny.

Great stuff.

-j

Dennis Khaye August 22nd, 2006 11:05 PM

That was good. I have to laugh, Haliburton, too funny. Probably could have set it in the near future and made sure you got the point across that there were two more wars, maybe one of them started by Co-Presidents, Jenna and Barbara Bush. With Haliburton getting the contract for both of them.

Maybe that's too over the top. Nicely done you guys.

Eric Gan August 23rd, 2006 12:15 PM

That's a tough exposure situation. I think I would have chosen to shoot either completely in the sun, or stay totally in the shade. Great job with the graphics - makes it look very professional. You guys must have had a hard time trying to keep a straight face with that dialogue!

Kris Holodak August 23rd, 2006 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin Tomchuk

Just some things that may have been able to fix. When the interviewer was speaking with the lady with the pink shirt and dog, the background grass was almost blown out. If some sort of white reflector was used on the subjects, then it would look a bit more balanced.

As you an others have said, more light on the faces would have helped. I had people with bounce cards, but not enough light was getting in there. On the other hand, I didn't mind the grass blowing out because I was trying to imply that the sun is angry over the dismissal and has started getting hotter.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin Tomchuk
The NASA Scientist would have looked better if he was faced towards a window so that all you see is his silhouette instead of a big blur on his face. That one is sort of up to what you want, but it's just my opinion.

That would have worked too, but I was aiming for the joke of he thinks we're protecting his identity but we put him in front of all his family photos so The Man could actually still figure out who he was. (And then the double joke of it all being my family and not his at all.) But that was perhaps a bit subtle.