DVC #6 - Justin Tomchuk - Canadian Bistro Division - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old August 23rd, 2006, 04:01 PM   #16
Major Player

I liked this, very much. Weird, pointless kinda comedy that's funny precisely because it doesn't make sense.

Beautiful backdrops you've got there, with all the rocks and trees, a nice sky, it fits well somehow with the surreal characters. When the first guy hits the rock, though, that's my favorite part. Knowing the footage was altered in post doesn't make it hurt any less, and that sound effect is timed very well.

I'd like to see some more tripod shots, personally. I appreciate a little handheld work as much as the next guy, but for a story like this, I think a rigid, unmoving, locked down camera would add to the mood significantly.
Robert Martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2006, 10:29 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton
Did you just find that effect somewhere? I ask such a silly question because if I needed something like that I'd go out back and create it; would be safer to buy a program, I suppose...care to share?
Hey Lorinda. What I did was, I took some sample videos from Detonation Films and placed them over my video. Then I set croma key to black and the explosions appear on the video. I used motion to move the explosion with the eyes when his head moved. I could have tweaked it more.

I guess I should have gave credit to Detonation Films, haha. They give out samples of explosions, fire, sparks etc for free, and you can purchase some on CD. I'll put their link on my website next time I update.

http://www.detonationfilms.com/

Thanks for watching it Robert. I can understand how the hard no movement camera angles would make it more weird. I'll keep this in mind for next time.

Justin
Justin Tomchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2006, 12:00 PM   #18
Major Player

Hey Justin,

Just in case you didn't read my reply to your comments on my film...

I really liked your 'stylized' clips and the incredible location, VERY beautiful country. Your actors were quite funny as well. Nice job.

I used to fly for Delta Connection out of Boston and would fly into Halifax often. One time I remember sitting on the ramp waiting for the fog to lift a little so we could take off.

That was about 5 years ago and I remember seeing Rob Lowe in the airport there at the Starbucks getting coffee. I think he was there filming some series called 'Beach Girls' (there's your bikini girls Dylan).

I wish I could have gotten out more and looked around. Beautiful area.

Take care,

Jim
James Huenergardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2006, 09:12 AM   #19
Major Player

I really like what you've done with the colour. I took a look at your site and you've come a long way in a short time. I hope to improve as quickly as you have.

Love the part when the guy starts screaming and the other guy with the weird walk runs away. :)
Mike Horrigan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!