DVC #6 Feedback - Bruce Broussard - Spontaneity - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!

Old August 23rd, 2006, 10:07 PM   #16
Regular Crew

I can't believe how ambitious you were for a week-long project! Kudos to you for pulling it off and actually making something watchable. I know if I was relying on something as finicky as DV greenscreening on a budget for most of my movie I'd be sweating bullets the whole time.

It's hard not to draw comparison between all the "news-style" shorts, I find this one particularly amusing because it's so over-the-top; the "Mars Attacks" of DVC6. I admire your gusto!

Thanks for the laughs and good luck!

-j
Jay Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2006, 07:30 AM   #17
Trustee

Somehow I have neglected to comment on this one so far. Not sure how but yep, I second pretty much everything that has been said so far.

I think the weather guy was perfect. I said the same thing the others did, he really comes off as a sportscaster. Worked well.

Nice work on the graphics. I used to do all that with virtual sets and stuff before they were really popular, like 15 years ago but the 3d packages weren't quite up to it yet. Old 3d-Studio guy myself.

Good job.

Sean

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2006, 09:16 AM   #18
Major Player

Bruce,

You are definately an ambitious guy taking on all that extra production with Lightwave, etc. I've dabbled in green screen stuff and I own and use Lightwave 3D and understand how difficult something like this would be to produce in the 10 days we had, especially since you really didn't have 10 days because of your reshoot.

I enjoyed the story very much. I thought it was a great idea.

I thought your 'scientist' shot was great, I liked the graphics being displayed on his screen.

A couple of things I noticed (I guess I'm being picky):
1. There is a noticable color/white balance shift in your 'beer drinking guy' shot from the initial shot to the reverse. I don't know what camera you used, but maybe you can't manually set the white balance. It's also quite difficult to shoot with outside light coming in AND tungsten light.

2. I thought the flames in the background with the newsreporter were moving too fast to 'sell' the shot. I think if they were slowed down a bit, it would add to the realism.

3. The 'digitizing' of the scientist and field reporter could have been toned down a bit for my taste.

4. (I'm being really picky) I don't know if Vegas has a 'spill supressor', but some of your green screen shots were suffering from green spill. It's hard as heck to get rid of sometimes, especially if you don't own the pro version of After Effects or a compositing program like that.

You did an awesome job Bruce, with the amount of time we had, I'm impressed. Keep up the great work,

Jim
James Huenergardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2006, 09:27 AM   #19
Regular Crew

James,

Thanks for all of the detailed comments. I think next time I need to have you review my stuff before posting it! :)

regarding the white balance/color shift. I didn't even notice it. This may have been due to some color corrections done differently between the two scenes. I will go back and look at this. The only readon the white balance could have been different is that the shot of the television had some sunlight through the window. But I will check it. Good observation.

Man have I had a bunch of different opinions on the fire! Some like it, some don't. You could be right on the speed though, we didn't try it slower.

For the green spill, it was really hard to get it as clean as we did, I will do a bit of research on spill supression.

I think the high-res version shows the "digitizing" a bit more cleanly, but I am not sure.

Thanks again for the great comments.

Thanks again.
Bruce Broussard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!