DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DVC Feedback! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-feedback/)
-   -   DVC 6 Feedback - Mick Isdes (Polarized) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-feedback/74140-dvc-6-feedback-mick-isdes-polarized.html)

Eric Gan August 23rd, 2006 12:37 PM

DVC 6 Feedback - Mick Isdes (Polarized)

Mick, this has been up for a couple of days and I haven't seen a feedback thread. I'm not sure if you're monitoring this board, but I hope it's okay that I start this thread for you. I just wanted to ask some questions before I forget.

Did you shoot all the car scenes in an actual car? How did you deal with lighting? Something I found missing is some background engine/car noises.
I think the concept is good. I like how you shot everything at night when
the theme of the challenge is "the sun".

Robert Martens August 23rd, 2006 03:10 PM

I like the idea behind the film, though I think you could have rehearsed the voiceover a bit more. Not easy for us non actors to perform convincingly, and I believe more practice would have made this film more believable. And I wonder about the vitamin black market springing up inside of a week, but I have no right to comment on realism, considering the content of my entry.

I'll join Eric in asking how you did the lighting, though; I take it the car wasn't moving for the head-on shots?

Kris Holodak August 23rd, 2006 05:10 PM

In fact I would have liked to see a little more lighting in the car. The big guys always light, even at night. Something focused on the eyes, slightly tinted, that seems like it might be coming from the dashboard would have been just the thing. On the other hand, next to impossible to achieve with the kinds of budgets we're all working on.

Like the story very much.

Mick Isdes August 24th, 2006 12:19 AM

Hello all!
Thanks for the feedback. I haven't been around as I have been extremely busy.

The idea is totally preposterous, so I seriously worked at not taking it seriously. Now you may ask why? well, work is work and this was for fun.
The lighting was minimal since it was a Friday and I had a mount on the car shooting gorillia style in Dowtown Honolulu...you get the idea. But the shots were moving with actual driving and a mount on the front not to mention a blinding light in the dash.

Eric, thanks for keeping on top of things!

Lorinda Norton August 24th, 2006 12:25 AM

Congress blaming the world's scientists for not warning everyone. LOL!!! :D

You live in Hawaii and you shot in pitch darkness??? Why you...!!!! Just teasing, Mick. This did turn out awfully dark for most monitors; I am surprised about the light in the dash. But it sure made us concentrate on the dialog! I liked your "thoughts" voiceover--especially in the beginning. You did a good job.

Sean McHenry August 24th, 2006 07:39 AM

I liked it too. Anyone who takes a camera on the road, that's a good thing for me.

The others are right in that you might want some additional lighting. When I am doing car shots like that, and I don't do that many mind you, here's what I do.

I have a cheap 12v to 120v inverter for charging my camera and laptop, etc. I use that and a very inexpensive (about $6) clip on reading lamp with a 15W or 25W focused (ie spot) lamp in it. You can clip it almost anywhere and 25W is plenty for hitting someonw in the face at night while driving. (Don't blind the driver!)

Cheap and easy. Inverters are about $35 - $45 or so.

Back to the short - I liked it. I would be in favor of running the radio audio through a simple EQ, which most editors have built in. Take out the highs and lows and leave the midrange. That comes across as a radio better I think. Sort of like trying to simulate someone on a phone.

Looked good, good ideas, shot well. I like it.

Sean

Dennis Khaye August 24th, 2006 02:29 PM

I was waiting for the gag on what you did for a living. LOL I like the concept of this one, nice job Mike.