DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DVC Feedback! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-feedback/)
-   -   DVC #6 Feedback - Dog Days (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-feedback/74152-dvc-6-feedback-dog-days.html)

Jeff Tyler August 23rd, 2006 03:08 PM

DVC #6 Feedback - Dog Days

Well everyone I completed this with hopes that it would actually make some sense. Maybe it does but who knows thats for you to decide. I am happy with it for the most part though. Alot of the shots looked good anyway. So give me some feedback and tell me what you think!

Thanks

Michael Fossenkemper August 23rd, 2006 03:21 PM

Jeff,
Yes it made sense, at least to me. Some of th shots were excellent. What adapter are you using? In fact, tell us what equipment you used.
I loved the summer look and feel. I'm telling you, this was how I lived when I was growing up in Arizona so it felt familiar. I thought the audio was very good sounding but there were noise issues between cuts, etc... some places it would change too. But when it was sounding good, it really sounded good. The only scene that I thought stood out was the pool scene. the look changed.

I liked the cutting in the beginning, really looked great. Great job.

Robert Martens August 23rd, 2006 03:41 PM

"Yeah? Well, screw off." "Oh, God, my eyes!" My two favorite moments, funny stuff.

I think the cuts for some shots could be slipped a little bit. There seem to be a few moments where we actually see the actors start walking, and it hurts the momentum in my view. I also would like to see more of these shots from a tripod, but I guess you wanted to shoot quickly and get out of there for some scenes. Understandable, and the film still makes sense, which is most important.

"Out of order" was the picture perfect ending, good choice!

Jeff Tyler August 23rd, 2006 04:30 PM

If you guys wanna see the longer cut you can check out http://rapidshare.de/files/29567362/...ectors_Cut.mov
It has added scenes and such and I think its much better that way

Eric Gan August 23rd, 2006 05:09 PM

Good to see another film that used a 35mm adapter.

Jeff, the aspect ratio seems a bit off in your Quicktime version. It's not quite 4:3, nor 16:9. It actually looks like it was shot 16:9, but rendered to almost a 4:3 ratio. What were your settings?

Lorinda Norton August 23rd, 2006 05:24 PM

You and I were thinking along the same lines this time, Jeff, although, yours has that obvious "young guy" approach that is so fresh. Tell your actors they looked really hot. :)

That salute at 11:15 made me laugh, the guy with the bandaged eyes getting ditched was funny. But my favorite part is, "The sun's killin' me and the heat's just too much to bear." It seemed so....mature! I love stuff like that.

Good job!

Kris Holodak August 23rd, 2006 05:29 PM

The story made perfect sense Jeff and had a great Dog Days of Summer feel. Paced well for a 100 degree day.

Dick Mays August 23rd, 2006 05:51 PM

This had a real Napoleon Dynamite feel to it.
The absurdity of sitting in front of a non working fan.
The car running over the Fan. Weird dialog.
"I'm pretty sure it would be worth it. -- Mayonaise???"

One guy even sounded like Napoleon -- "You're an assclown!"

Leaving the pool shock blind guy. Just crazy stuff.

Very watchable. But like Napoleon, I'm still trying to decide if I liked watching the movie, or liked observing the craziness of it.

Jeff Tyler August 23rd, 2006 09:01 PM

It was shot on my Panasonic PV-GS150, my homeade static 35mm adapter(nikon d screen gg), rode videomic.

And a little story about filming. I am from the suburbs and we went into the city to shoot. I am there for 2 hours shooting, I come back to my car, and apparently someone decided to throw eggs all over my car(egged I suppose). Just goes to show you I probably dont belong in the city.

Jay Silver August 23rd, 2006 10:01 PM

I thought this one turned out really well. Some nice shots, some good characterizations and some funny stuff. A good simple story. I felt it could have fit together better if you'd had more time but as it is it works. I'm impressed by the look of the homemade adapter, I'm on the verge of the testing phase of my own. Congratulations on a nice little movie.

-j

Sean McHenry August 24th, 2006 07:19 AM

I am the egg man. I am the Walrus.

Sorry about those eggs. Some folks are just weird but on a hot day, I imagine after an hour or two it might not be smelling like it used to. Hope that worked out OK. Better than waterballoons filled with paint though.

So on to the short. Liked it a lot. Had some good timing. Some of the folks need to perhaps project a bit more and maybe the guy in the pool might have reacted a bit more naturally. I would have been yelling quite a bit louder and "with more feeling". Then again, being relaxed about it had a sort of disassociated vibe that was again, quite a bit like Napoleon, as mentioned above.

I am a fan of the off dialog. The Mayonaise remark is something I do a lot. You know, someone asks whats the worst thing you could do and you say something like "stick my tongue to a frozen lamp post" in the middle of summer, it makes people stop and think for a second like, what was he thinking about just before I asked that question? I like that misdirection.

Looked good too. You need to post the design of this adapter and let us know where to find it.

Sean

Hugh DiMauro August 24th, 2006 01:50 PM

I liked the silly, set-up gags and your use of backlight to enhance that sweltering feeling. Try to match your ambient sound and get the mic closer to the talent so as not to have background noise. Use a tripod: The shaky camera took away from the hot languidity that you were trying for.

Good job!

Jeff Tyler August 24th, 2006 01:54 PM

Yeah about acting and such, I don't expect much from the acting since its just my friends. Im still in high school so I dont have much lined up for actors, especially since its the summer.

Justin Tomchuk August 24th, 2006 05:48 PM

Ah, nice job on the colouring. The DOP is well done too. Sometimes the camera moved a bit too much, as in the walking in the city. I thought you should have tied in the guy with the car again near the end, doing something. Otherwise his character seems out of place for a short film. But an awesome job overall.

Justin