DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DVC Feedback! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-feedback/)
-   -   DVC 6, feedback "The Sun don't shine" (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-feedback/74174-dvc-6-feedback-sun-dont-shine.html)

Fredrik-Larsson August 24th, 2006 01:38 AM

DVC 6, feedback "The Sun don't shine"

Hi,

I've been away for about a week and just came home for a short stop (I am working as a production manager and on a feature movie for the first time ever, yippee...). So I was quite suprised when I logged on and actually saw my "stinker" as a finalist. As some might know I was so close not to submit this one.

It was quite a tricky short to do for me. My planning of what shots to do was very poor and I ended up improvising a lot of lines. During the shot more than 50 % of the good side's sound ended up f:ed. I constantly look in the monitor and in the camera to see if everything is ok. My camera kept going in and out of focus and I didn't have a good way to focus on anything. My lighting is c-r-a-p. I am so buying a proper light kit when I get the $.

All in all about 8 hours before deadline I was so irritated at it that I wasn't going to hand it in. Then I figured that I "owe" my material something and that I could play with it for an hour or two. So I did and it ended up pretty funny if you have my sense of humour and I handed it in. I forgot to put sound effects on the punches and the title is way too long.

Getting to second round was way more than I expected and I am glad that Dylan probably has the same weird humour as me ;)

So people feel free to comment away about everything from my acting to shooting and even about what really goes on in my head... :-)

Since I am leaving pretty soon again I might not be able to answer for another week but I will do my best.

Have fun commenting! /Fredrik.

Eric Gan August 24th, 2006 02:35 AM

When watching this, did anyone else think...

"Hi, I'm a Mac"

"I'm a PC"

Fredrik, I actually really like the lighting in the final scene where there is just that patch of light in the room. Yet another one-man production. I don't know how you guys do that - I wouldn't have the guts to try it.

Lorinda Norton August 24th, 2006 02:35 AM

There you are, Fredrik! It’s about time. ;)

I agree; you do have a bizarre sense of humor! Every time I watched your movie, I noticed this silly grin spread across my face. Some of your expressions and antics remind me of Robin Williams--maybe that’s why I grinned so much. Plus, I think you pulled off the illusion that you were fighting with yourself pretty well.

Was this craziness an “inside look” at Seasonal Affective Disorder, only turned sideways….or perhaps on its ear? Or just depression in general? Or was it just craziness? LOL!

All I know is that it’s a huge departure from your movie back in DVC3. As I recall, that one was “deadly” serious. ;) I think it’s great that you try different things! As always, I enjoyed watching you and your movie, Fredrik. Thanks!

p.s. Funny, Eric!

Dick Mays August 24th, 2006 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton
Some of your expressions and antics remind me of Robin Williams--maybe that’s why I grinned so much.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Robin WIlliams in "Bird Cage" versus Robert DeNiro in "Raging Bull." Watch it again, definitely its DeNiro versus Williams. Robin vs. Robert in the Cuckoo's Nest.

I hope that was acting, otherwise the thearapy will be expensive!

BTW, I think we are all Finalists at this stage. But maybe not, I haven't seen mine posted.

Dick

Robert Martens August 24th, 2006 06:24 AM

Man, Fredrik, you look familiar. I know I've seen some famous guy somewhere that looks exactly like you, but I can't remember his name or where I've seen him. This is sure to bug me for the next few weeks.

I really liked this concept, I always enjoy a good fight among oneself. I was going to mention the lack of sound effects, but you beat me to it. I did think the framing could have been a touch tighter, specifically in the shot where you say "Well, after all, he's one of us". And it seems like you were speaking a bit softly throughout the film, but I imagine that's got to do with either living in a house with other people, or an apartment building with neighbors you don't want to disturb. I can appreciate that, so I can't fault you for it.

Sean McHenry August 24th, 2006 07:34 AM

I liked it a lot as well. I know how hard it is to do the framing when you are shooting yourself but, I would try to not leave as much "talking room" going back and forth between characters.

Other than that, good play there. It sticks in my mind.

When you get time, hop over to my site and take a look at a script I have been working on a bit called "Scrubbing", if this is the sort of film ideas you like to work with, you might be interested in that one. I'll explain it in an e-mail if you like it.

I'll be trying to shoot that one this winter.

I liked this one.

Sean

Michael Fossenkemper August 24th, 2006 07:35 AM

The first time through I had no idea what was going on. hahaha. The second time through I figured it out. I think what threw me was the intro shot. it was kind of dark and grainy while the others were bright, so I didn't make the connection right away. Then on the second time I thought why is he pointing down??? ahhhhh, I get it. Doh! I liked the idea. really hard to pull off everything while doing everything. Kind of like playing pool with a blindfold. Pretty funny and then sad. laugh, cry, laugh. I need therapy now.

Hugh DiMauro August 24th, 2006 01:54 PM

Some of these production logos are fantastic! Your whole intro logo and title went 32 seconds! MAN! With a three-minute time limit you sure like pushing the envelope! Technically I would have liked to hear the punches connect. Makes me think you ran out of time for foley work. I liked how you portrayed the differences in your characters. Now if I can only figure out the “message.” I interpret this a few ways…

Dennis Khaye August 24th, 2006 02:14 PM

Am I mistaken or is he poppin' a tums. Walking that line where it's comedic and sad at the same time. Nicely done Fredrik.