DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DVC Feedback! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-feedback/)
-   -   DVC 6 - Lorinda Norton - Mirage (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-feedback/74199-dvc-6-lorinda-norton-mirage.html)

Lorinda Norton August 24th, 2006 10:55 AM

DVC 6 - Lorinda Norton - Mirage

What I had in mind and what ended up here are sure different things, but that’s what I get for starting late. Hated cutting corners on shooting and didn’t finish editing, but by golly, I was gonna get it submitted—rough edges and all!

My son was in his last week home from college so I talked him, my nephew and a friend into doing this one. That way I got to spend a little more time with my kid, plus the boys got to trot out some of their toys. I was glad for the time together, and I think they (and my sister) enjoyed the shoot; so now, if you were entertained a little bit, well…that will be very cool. :)

Lorinda

p.s. Dear Dylan, I’m sorry for making your job so much harder this time around. I appreciate all you do!

Mike Teutsch August 24th, 2006 11:35 AM

Lorinda,

You always keep us smiling! Great story too, loved it! Glad you got your son David into this one.

Mike

Edward Slonaker August 24th, 2006 11:45 AM

Too cute! I was holdin' out for those hula girls, myself. Looked like an episode of Tiki Bar TV! Great work, Lorinda!

...now I have to go see if my Mossberg shotgun is still in the closet...swear they're identical....

Lorinda Norton August 24th, 2006 11:48 AM

Hahaha! What the heck is Tiki Bar TV? Did I inadvertently rip off something?

Thanks, guys...

Dennis Khaye August 24th, 2006 12:08 PM

Yeah, where is this Tiki Bar TV?

Too funny Lorinda. Are you going to fix it up after the contest?

Edward Slonaker August 24th, 2006 12:19 PM

No, you didn't rip anything off....just yours was that good.

http://www.tikibartv.com/tikibar_dis...?pver=qh&vid=6

one of my favourite (filmed in Vancouver) episodes.....

Enjoy!

Chris Barcellos August 24th, 2006 12:35 PM

Lorinda:

Another good one !!! Didn't see the end coming. I was looking for sand to be poured out of the bottles.... Great job.

Lorinda Norton August 24th, 2006 01:29 PM

You guys are kind. Thank you.

Dennis, I am going to finish this for a DVD w/extras that I'll give to the boys. Don't know how much more polishing I can do, but we'll see.

I nearly laughed my head off at that clip you provided, Ed! Sadly for me, the only parallel is that yes, there were tiki bars in both, and yes, there were three guys and disappearances. Other than that... lol

There's a certain Content Mafia boss around this site who might like that "Trap Door," what with the Captain Morgan rum in it. ;) I copied the recipe for Erik. If we ever do another movie together, maybe he can mix up some of those and the writing will improve!

Hugh DiMauro August 24th, 2006 02:13 PM

Just my kind of humor. A wise crack from two unappreciative guys gives them their just dessert: The beers are snached back! Oh did I crack up at that. Wise crack humor followed by retribution is the best! I loved the subtle camera crane movement that gave this piece its polished, big production look. One thing you can tell: The sky was overcast AND a deep blue. Those clouds musta moved pretty fast. Great cutting. Great pace.

Thank you. Your humor and story lines still prove without a doubt that clean fun always prevails over vulgarity and shock value.

Michael Fossenkemper August 24th, 2006 05:03 PM

the setting is quite beautiful. at first I couldn't take my eyes off the landscape. Man there is some serious firepower on those two guys. You can definately tell it wasn't shot in NYC. hahaha.
Did you build that Tiki Bar and haul it out there?

Nice Story and well told. The bartender's overly long bottle twirling was quite funny.

Great Job.

Dick Mays August 24th, 2006 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Fossenkemper
Man there is some serious firepower on those two guys.

Another great buddy movie from Lorinda. This seems to be your genre'. Slightly stupid guys, collaborating on a stupid agenda. Or even stupider criminals. I love those guys.

What kind of guns were those? One appeared to be a 12 Gauge.
I'd have loved to see one of the guys blast the mirage into oblivion.

Or the dancing TIKI girls. More sex and violence basically. Great story, very original take on the Sun.

Owen Dawe August 24th, 2006 06:11 PM

I love your movies Lorinda. Well written and executed. David is a born actor. Keep him in the series. Can we have a tv type western next time in all that beaut scenery?
Say!!! The girls are best left to our imagination. In Auckland (our largest city)yesterday there was a 'Boobs on Bikes Parade' Thirty topless girls rode bikes down the main street. It drew a bigger crowd than the annual Santa Parade.
It wasn't a mirage. The girls were real. I have my doubts about Santa.

Justin Tomchuk August 24th, 2006 06:13 PM

Lorinda that was excellent! A funny little story, it sure made me smile. That's what they get for calling him a crock, haha. Its too bad that bottle on the side had to been blurred out. What was that anyway? Jumbo sun lotion? LOL

I would have avoided the short fade to black at the beginning, and would have just had the words fade out since the intro was mostly part of the story.

Nice job.

Justin

Lorinda Norton August 24th, 2006 06:42 PM

OWEN!!!! How's my dear friend from down under? Good to see you here, and I plan to see you in DVC7 as a challenger. As for your topless story...you Kiwis sure know how to keep things interesting, don't you. Dick, maybe you should vacation in NZ. :) Owen, I'll tell David what you said about him; it'll make him happy.

How could you tell the tiki bar was homemade, Michael? LOL!! I made it at 2:30 am the night before using an old puppet stage, material I found in our shop, 2 pairs of stilts and a grass skirt. None of it was fastened in any way--pretty much just balanced. The shorter stilts in front kept falling over.

David packed pretty light, with only his AR15 and a Springfield XD (.45) in his pocket. Brian chose his Mossberg shotgun (Edward was right) and his AR15. You couldn't see his .40 cal Glock or the H&K 45. What can I say...it's Idaho.

Justin, that bottle thing turned into quite the bane for me. I knew better than to show the name, but we thought the huge suntan bottle display would be funny. I thought I'd just keep the name out of the shots. Right. Cropping was getting to be a pain, so I e-mailed Australian Gold, but they wouldn't give me permission to leave it; hence, the blurring. As for the fade, it wasn't a continous take. Mistake on my part.

Before I forget, thank you, Hugh, for noticing the dolly and crane work at the beginning. I could kick myself for abandoning my tripod for handheld when we got on the mountainside.

Fellas, thank you so much for the pats on the head. I get kinda down when I see how far I have to go even after doing these things for over a year. So I really appreciate your nice comments. :)

Michael Fossenkemper August 24th, 2006 07:18 PM

Oh come on... Pat on the HEAD??? you are one of the best story tellers here. At least everyone gets your stories. ehem.