DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DVC Feedback! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-feedback/)
-   -   DVC 6: "Mandy's Letter" (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-feedback/74204-dvc-6-mandys-letter.html)

Dick Mays August 24th, 2006 12:17 PM

DVC 6: "Mandy's Letter"

Okay. This is the third DV challenge for Mandy Jacobus, who first appeared as the emo photographer in "Ektachrome." This time she features her ownwriting in this short with the real life letter she wrote to her Mom.

Her mother has been paralyzed as long as Mandy can remember, and I was completely blown away by the letter she wrote to her mother. I visited Margaret in the hospital where she was recoving from a collapsed lung, and I told her I wanted the letter in my movie. She insisted on playing herself. Unfortunately, she had to go back into the hospital the weekend of the shoot, and we had to get a friend to fill in for Margaret.

The Sun did not cooperate, as it was rainy and cloudy the weekend of the shoot. So i simulated the Sun with a spotlight through the door.

There is not a strong SUN theme to the short, but if the real Margaret ahd been able to play the role, the significance of her coming into the sun would have been more powerful.

Chris Barcellos August 24th, 2006 12:39 PM

Dick:

"Sun theme" was hard to follow, but film is still terrific. Camera angles, and shots are terrific, and this is just another great job. I've seen two of your films and I love the homey rural nature of them, as well as the human emotions you seem to bring out....

Lorinda Norton August 24th, 2006 12:55 PM

Beautiful images, Dick, and such a neat story.

All your actors performed well, but the lady who stepped in for Margaret did an exceptionally good job, I thought. She was so believable, and at one point it looked like her eyes were shiny with tears. Of course, your soft, pretty lighting had something to do with that (was it all natural?).

I saw some trademark Dick Mays shots in there, which pleased me very much. Chris is right; your last two movies have brought out that feeling of, "I wish I could be in that setting." So pretty...

Edward Slonaker August 24th, 2006 02:18 PM

Wow, Dick! What a powerful movie. Great job! I only had a little bit of trouble with audio level consistencies, but the video was great.

Not sure what the kid was doing ringing the doorbell when everyone was already right there on the porch. Did I miss something (which is not entirely out of the realm of possibilities)?

Lorinda Norton August 24th, 2006 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Slonaker
Not sure what the kid was doing ringing the doorbell when everyone was already right there on the porch. Did I miss something (which is not entirely out of the realm of possibilities)?

LOL! You don't find yourself around very many active teenage boys, do you, Edward! They see buttons, they push 'em. :)

Dennis Khaye August 24th, 2006 02:21 PM

Very powerful. Interesting how the character's relationships are not immediately known. Very light, could have been heavy and sad but the whole thing seemed lifting. Nice job Dick.

Dick Mays August 24th, 2006 02:22 PM

Chris, thaks for teh kind remarks.

Lorinda, the woman playing Mandy's mother is the Artistic Director at our local community theatre. I directed her in Steel Magnolias, and she directed me in Deathtrap. She's a method actor, so those were real watery eyes. I'm a technical actor, and have to get my tears in post :)

Ed, Lorinda was right. Typical teenager prank, interrupting a tender moment with a prank. He did it during rehearsal and I told him to keep it!

Hugh DiMauro August 24th, 2006 02:42 PM

This was the most grown-up movie here to date. A wonderful testament to Love. Very well filmed. The letter reading was not boring because you kept a good pace with other visuals. Very nice.

A wonderful gift for it's intended special someone.

Colton Davie August 24th, 2006 05:07 PM

Nice story. You did a good job portraying a healthy relationship between a teenage girl and her mother. The three females were very believeable, and the mother's tears were great. However, the boy seemed a little childish to me.

I think the importance of the sun could have been emphasized if, for example, you showed the mother actually being wheeled from the darkness into the sunlight.

Just some nit-picky things that you might want to consider for next time: The mother's face was out of focus for the last shot or two of her in the bed. Some of the cuts landed in the middle of an action that wasn't followed through in the following shot, for example, when the boy is ringing the doorbell, the girl turns and holds her hand out to him, but it cuts to her facing her mother. Finally, some of the outdoor shots seemed overexposed. The ones on the porch, however, were mostly fine.

Overall, you successfully told a touching story in a clear way. Don't take the my critiques on the technical details harshly, I just want to give helpful and meaningful feedback.

Good job.

Michael Fossenkemper August 24th, 2006 05:38 PM

Nice looking and even flowing short. had a comfortable feel to it. Great lighting and acting. Didn't have a strong sun theme would be my only critique. At least it wasn't obvious to me. You really get some nice looks, the last one was nice looking and this one is even better looking. So whatever you are doing is working. You're a good sentimental story teller.

Dick Mays August 24th, 2006 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Fossenkemper
You're a good sentimental story teller.

I don't want to get typecast. My next short will be slasher/horror!

Hey, nobody mentioned my MUSIC! It's the only tune I've ever composed.

Justin Tomchuk August 24th, 2006 06:28 PM

Hey Dick, that was beautiful! Excellent motion shots. I didn't understand the doorbell thing either but now I do from reading the comments. Well done.

Justin

Lorinda Norton August 24th, 2006 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Mays
I don't want to get typecast. My next short will be slasher/horror!

Hey, nobody mentioned my MUSIC! It's the only tune I've ever composed.

Slasher/horror--just in time for Halloween! We never know; DVC7 might work out that way.

I watched your movie again, specifically for the music. It was gentle, nice and perfect for the mood. I think that's why we overlooked it! You got me thinking that if I ever do a sentimental story (that'll be the day) maybe I'll try to compose/play background music. Or maybe not. :)

Dennis Khaye August 24th, 2006 11:52 PM

Oh I think it's a wonderful compliment that no one noticed your music. It fits so nicely and just perfect for the mood.

Dick Mays August 25th, 2006 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennis Khaye
Oh I think it's a wonderful compliment that no one noticed your music. It fits so nicely and just perfect for the mood.

My wife says it sounds like a Soap Opera theme.