DVC7 - Kris Holodak - Christmas Past at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old December 23rd, 2006, 08:42 PM   #1
Major Player

DVC7 - Kris Holodak - Christmas Past

Bill's got the right idea, I think, getting these up ahead. I'll be gone right about the time things start posting and I wouldn't want anyone to miss an opportunity to pile heaps of something on me. :)

And I'll be completely off the grid - on a mountain in Mexico shooting butterflies - so I won't be able to comment on anyone else's films either. Doesn't mean I don't love you. I'll do a marathon viewing session when I get back and comment on everyone's all at once. Forgive the redundancy since I won't want to be influenced by what everyone else has written before I comment.

Smile,
Kris
Kris Holodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2006, 02:03 PM   #2
Wrangler

the eponymous "Blue" continues his career trajectory as the rising dog star of the DV Challenge!

i like the concept, that thing of poring over the old ornaments, reminiscing about ancient holiday memories and the attendant distortions and mis-remembrances.

terrific soundtrack, too, where it shifts from cheesy cheery to slightly eerie to fit the surprise ending. and i must say, i didn't see that one coming...
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2006, 02:14 PM   #3
Major Player

Ahhh here's her thread.

I think this is your best looking DVC, is this a new camera? That dog is way too cute. music fit well to the story. I liked the editing too. The only think i noticed is that you seemed to cut out the audio inbetween lines. Just wondering if there was a reason not to leave the room tone throughout. Nice feel good holiday short with a twist at the end. I didn't see it coming either. It's actually kind of disturbing because i have these conversations with my dog all of the time.
Michael Fossenkemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2006, 02:24 PM   #4
Major Player

Hi Kris

Yay! I got to see the cutest dog in the world again - Blue! (Don't tell my dogs I said that) Yay! Got to see Kris Holodak acting!

"Penguin girl"- that one hit home for me as my mom is known as "The Penguin Lady". In fact, she has an ornament nearly identical to that except it sticks on the fridge. I have memories of several hand made Christmas ornaments and it is interesting how each one comes attached with it's own story.

1982 Ornament kept jumping out at me and I was trying to tie some significance to that date. However, 1977 was brought up in the conversation. Mr. Perkinson: "Have you seen him?" Dead sister has no response and looks directly into the camera. Very interesting and was wondering if Mr. Perkinson had something to do with the dead sister's untimely demise?

Jim, Dan and Mike Holodak - all musicians? Very cool. Please tell us more.

NCC 1701 (must be a Trekkie) :)

Best wishes~
Bradley
Bradley L Marlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2006, 02:26 PM   #5
Wrangler

Hey, our dogs are the best conversationalists in the world! Not to worry...I hope. :)

Your opening shot/sequence was beautiful, Kris; it set the tone for the rest of the story really well. Like everyone else, I was totally surprised by the ending, and it took my mind off the notion (cool notion!) that I thought I saw a Star Trek shuttlecraft on that tree!!!

EDIT: You saw that too, Brad! LOL! --takes one to know one. ;)
Old December 28th, 2006, 04:11 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley L Marlow
NCC 1701 (must be a Trekkie) :)
I believe that's "Trekker", Brad, be careful. Nerds are very particular about what they're called. Though I think the shuttle is more directly a nod to the last name "Holodak" and less to do with Kris being an actual Star Trek fanatic. It could most certainly be both, of course, so correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm awed at the quality of this entry, it's not only better than your previous films, but great looking in its own right. Has something changed?

This was the most surprising ending to date; caught me totally off guard, and at first I thought you were simply acting as the human interpretation of the dog. Then it hit me (the theme was "Memories", after all), and I loved it even more.

The only thing I wasn't so keen on was the MIDI score. I'm not fervently against MIDI music, believe me, I just think this was a little loud during the opening and closing scenes. The singing was fine, the brass just felt a little "sharp", if you know what I mean.
Robert Martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2006, 04:18 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Never saw it coming, either. Camera work on conversation was great and natural feeling. I know Blue is like Hitcock and appears in every movie, but a suddenly empty couch at the interuption of the spouse would have played better. I think Blue actually took away from the message in this case.
Old December 28th, 2006, 07:57 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Looked at this a second time with my wife. I have to retract what I said about dog. It worked for me second viewing....
Old December 28th, 2006, 11:12 PM   #9
Major Player

I really liked this one, so much so that I'm going to watch it again.

Very touching moment at the end...
Old December 29th, 2006, 07:04 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Kris,

Very nice indeed! Good story and a nice twist at the end. One of the best.

Mike
Old December 29th, 2006, 08:56 AM   #11
Trustee

A nice, stylized main title design. Well placed lighting, especially the blue backlight in the other room. Very good closeup inserts. Nice framing. A very polished, professional look.
Old December 29th, 2006, 11:07 AM   #12
Wrangler

Say, I just watched this one again full screen so I could read the credits! (Yes, I'm an idiot.) Wow!! I didn't realize this was a family production! Tell us more about the songs, the singer--that sort of thing, okay?

AND, I think you're right up there for the (as yet, non-existent) BEST ACTOR/ACTRESS award, Kris! You did a magnificent job as the "dead sister." :)

Edit: Just re-read Bradley's post, too. (bonks self on head) My only defense is that I got all excited about the ST ornament. LOL!
Old December 29th, 2006, 07:25 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Kris-

I really liked your movie! Oddly enough one of my original ideas had to do with Christmas ornaments too! Totally different approach though...

Your camera angles and editing were totally natural! Great job!

Very nice twist at the end and I liked how instead of it just being an empty couch the dog was there looking at her like she was a little bit looney...very sad...but very fitting!

Great job!

-Jamey-
Jamey Hastings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2007, 02:07 AM   #14
Major Player

A movie after my own heart. My wife and I do that with the ornaments every year. I hope neither of us turns into a dog any time soon though. LOL

Wonderful story concept. Excellent production values. Nice job all around.
Dennis Khaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2007, 04:24 AM   #15
Wrangler

Just for fun, Kris and other Trek fans...a special ornament on my tree this year. :)

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/ljeanne/ST.jpg

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!