DVC 7 - Mike Horrigan - "THE GIFT" - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old January 5th, 2007, 12:05 PM   #31
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Khaye
Have you ever ADR'd dialog before?
Not exactly sure what that means. :)
Ah... additional dialogue recording. Nope, I've never done that. I'm still very new at this...

The only dialogue I've ever used is what came from using the camera mic. I have added other sounds/effects separately though.

Any advice on the best way to do ADR?
Old January 5th, 2007, 07:55 PM   #32
Major Player

There is a ton of advice on how to do ADR, search the 'Now Hear This' forum. Douglas Spotted Eagle has a really good tutorial on it. It's a lot easier to do than I thought. If you get stuck just ask.

One tip we learned is when you open the editing software and you want to loop the section you're going to ADR, give yourself three seconds or so before and after or even the whole line before. Reason is we found out if you loop it fast, the actor will just repeat it fast and you loose that 'feelling' in the voice.

Good luck!
Dennis Khaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 11:51 PM   #33
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Horrigan
BTW, Did anyone hear her call out "Mommy" as Mom was being strangled? You have to listen closely, but it's there.
I'll have to listen again for the "mommy"

Not knowing that the little girl was killed was the only thing that bothered me a hair the first time I watched it, because you never get a sense of that until he's looking at the photos and saying "i really miss them"...But after reading your post about how you tried to show her walking out saying "Daddy." I totally understand that you tried and it just didn't work out with the time pressure... What you were trying to do is exactly what I would've suggested, though!

So on a different note...I totally showed your film to on of my best friends who loves the horror/supernatural genre too and he LOVED your film over all of the other ones I showed him! Dare I say its one of my top picks too? :-) Can't wait to see what you do next!

Jamey*
Jamey Hastings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2007, 07:40 AM   #34
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamey Hastings
I'll have to listen again for the "mommy"

Not knowing that the little girl was killed was the only thing that bothered me a hair the first time I watched it, because you never get a sense of that until he's looking at the photos and saying "i really miss them"...But after reading your post about how you tried to show her walking out saying "Daddy." I totally understand that you tried and it just didn't work out with the time pressure... What you were trying to do is exactly what I would've suggested, though!

So on a different note...I totally showed your film to on of my best friends who loves the horror/supernatural genre too and he LOVED your film over all of the other ones I showed him! Dare I say its one of my top picks too? :-) Can't wait to see what you do next!

Jamey*
Yah, I wanted to do more with the little girl and that scene but it just didn't work out. You'll have to listen for the "Mommy?" part... it's there. ;)

Thanks a lot for the compliments, I really appreciate it.

I'm actually planning on re-shooting the entire thing with real actors and adding a few extra scenes to flesh it out. Maybe pushing it to around 5 minutes or so. If it turns out well... maybe entering it in my first festival, who knows.

Thanks again,

Mike

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!