DVC7- "Forgotten" by Chris Barcellos - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!

Old December 27th, 2006, 08:34 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Good work Chris, I liked your short film.
Your handled that 35mm adapter well.
(I saw the picture of that cannon you call a camera :P)

Anyways back to the film. I'm not sure how the pills erased his memory so well that he forgot his wife, (that is a messed up situation.)
What I really wanted to see in the end was the reaction of the wife to his condition.

The audio sounded crystal clear and it was topped off with such nice music.
The blacks could have been crushed more (you already explained that), the scene by the fireplace looked really good. Oh and that firefighter footage in the beginning fit in so well.
Darryl Ahye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2006, 01:28 PM   #17
Regular Crew

I was not expecting that ending and it was a pleasent suprise. Good job.

That 35mm adapter gives one great look, where did you get the plans for it?
Alex T. Hurter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2006, 01:35 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex T. Hurter
I was not expecting that ending and it was a pleasent suprise. Good job.

That 35mm adapter gives one great look, where did you get the plans for it?
Go to www.redrock.com site, they still have them available I think. Along with plans, they give you a "ground glass" disk (Actually plastic.) As far as my rail system, etc., it just what I cobbled together with Home Depot aluminum tubing...
Old December 28th, 2006, 01:59 PM   #19
Wrangler

what a dreadful wife! blech. maybe she should go get a job instead of hounding him. i guess memory loss pills are cheaper than divorce!

nice job. great opening.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2006, 02:52 PM   #20
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz
what a dreadful wife! blech. maybe she should go get a job instead of hounding him. i guess memory loss pills are cheaper than divorce!
Hahaha!!!!! I never looked at it that way, Meryem. Hilarious take on it! :)
Old December 28th, 2006, 05:05 PM   #21
Major Player

Very impressive.
I very much like the depth of field changes when they are talking on the bed...
And it was a good story, with a nice twist at the end.

Bob T.
Old December 28th, 2006, 06:35 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos
Go to www.redrock.com site, they still have them available I think. Along with plans, they give you a "ground glass" disk (Actually plastic.) As far as my rail system, etc., it just what I cobbled together with Home Depot aluminum tubing...
Tried the site and it was a dead link. Do you have any plans from the rail system? Looks pretty slick.
Alex T. Hurter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2006, 07:06 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Hey Alex. Just checked site, working from this side okay.

No plans for rail system, and I will probably do some changes, but here is photo anyway. Mostly cut tubing and drilled holes, and bolted together.

Check my thread out here for more photos: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=80383
Attached Thumbnails
DVC7- "Forgotten" by Chris Barcellos-rig3.jpg  
Old December 28th, 2006, 07:35 PM   #24
Major Player

I believe you're looking for http://www.redrockmicro.com/. The other one goes to some sort of Canadian telecommunications company.
Robert Martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2006, 07:55 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Martens
I believe you're looking for http://www.redrockmicro.com/. The other one goes to some sort of Canadian telecommunications company.
Duhhh ! I thought when he said he got a dead link, he was talking about to my film...... Robert is right. Sorry about the wrong link.
Old December 29th, 2006, 02:31 PM   #26
Regular Crew

I know a bunch of this has already been said...but....

Loved your opening shot and the effect you added to it...I also love how you faded to orange to signify flames...very nice!

I also really liked the scenes by the fireplace, beautifully lit!

The way you used really long shots was cool too...reminds me of French New Wave films...and even a few indie films I've seen recently...nicely done!

Nice twist at the end too...Its very funny that the wife ended up being a "bad memory" too....lol you some how made the film serious and humorous at the same time...g'job!
Jamey Hastings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2007, 02:17 AM   #27
Major Player

I must say the twist in the end didn't surprise me but his line sure did. He remembers it's his closet but not his talking to him. I like that aspect of it. The pill wipes out only the bad memories but keeps the good ones. Now I'm wondering what he does in that closet that makes it a good memory. LOL

Excellent job you guys.
Dennis Khaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2007, 03:12 PM   #28
Trustee

Chris,

This short really touched me. My last job before retiring was civilian staff photographer at an air force training base that has a fire training academy. I used to do a lot of still photography of many of their training exercises and I've seen and photographed stuff like your opening scenes.

The people who train in these academies have responded to or been selected for a special calling and believe strongly in what they are training to do. So your portrayal of the one in your film looks like a bit of a tribute to them.

The acting, camera angles, and to some extent your lighting all told the story and set us up for the final ending. I like the freeze frame and feel it was a very effective way to end it.

I'm not sure I like what I think the 35mm adapter does to image tones, contrast and definition. This is personal and no criticism of anything you've done. But I think I detect some distortion around the edges and some of this may be due to using the 35mm lens wide open. And it may be what killed contrast in your blacks and dark tones. I've seen video where these devices give tremendous depth of field control outdoors or in decent lighting levels without adversly affecting image tones and color but they may induce more problems than they solve in low/marginal lighting levels.

Again this is not critical of anything you've done. I liked the story, the way your actors did it, the flow from one part to another, and the mood the music gave.

Bruce
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2007, 03:07 PM   #29
Major Player

My immediate thought was I want to watch that again, but I'm not going to let myself to keep it fair (my personal rule is everyone gets judged on one watching). I liked how he was dark and out of focus in that first conversation. When she gave him the pills my first thought was , how much will he forget? So the end wasn't a surprise, exactly, but it played out well.

Smile,
Kris
Kris Holodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2007, 08:11 PM   #30
Inner Circle

Thanks to all for their input in this thread. I appreciate and expect any comments, that will help me improve my work in the future !!!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!