DVC7- "Forgotten" by Chris Barcellos at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!

Old December 27th, 2006, 11:16 AM   #1
Inner Circle

DVC7- "Forgotten" by Chris Barcellos

Shot this film as an exercise to tryout my homemade 35mm adapter, fashioned after the Redrock Micro35 plans I bought about a year ago.

Shot with FX1 in fairly dim conditions with supplemental lighting. An all family affair. My daughter and son-in-law are the actors, music by brother and sister in law..
Old December 27th, 2006, 11:34 AM   #2
Major Player

Very nice work, Chris! I really liked that it had a good, coherent story which I know is hard to pull off in 3 minutes. Nice lighting, nice music. I liked the intro shots and the shots by the fireplace in particular. Also, a nice clean web version, too.

I didn't see much in the way of "shallow depth of field" that usually jump out at me when 35mm adapters are used: what lenses did you use, and did you try to push the shallow depth of field at all?

Good job!
Bill
William Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2006, 11:49 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Depth of field transitions were attemped with the bedroom scene at the beginning. Will show up a bit better in the higher definition version. And with 3 takes shot rapidly because of time constraint, could have done better job... but if its not noticed, that may be good too....

My adapter was built for Pentax lenses I had. I shot this with the 55mm at 1.4 (wide open). Camera wide open too, with gain at 9.
Old December 27th, 2006, 12:19 PM   #4
Wrangler

Nice, nice work, Chris. You and your family are all so talented! The music almost took away from the story because I kept thinking, “Dang, that’s a good song!” :)

What I want to know is, where did you get that opening sequence? That was amazing. Also, I applaud you for your camera work in low light; everyone knows how hard that is to pull off. You did it very well.
Old December 27th, 2006, 12:28 PM   #5
Major Player

Loved the intro. I need some of those pills, hahaha. Liked the 35mm adapter look, maybe could have used more light with it, those things eat light a lot. Fire looked great and very clean. But the bedroom stuff was a bit grainy looking which was very cool until you saw how sharp the fire scene looked. Only then did the grain in the bedroom scene jump out. I think my favorite shot is right after the first shot. I loved the camera angle and the shallow DOF of him sitting up in bed. Is your adapter a spinning GG adapter? if so, did you have any noise issues from it to deal with?
Michael Fossenkemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2006, 01:36 PM   #6
Major Player

Hi Chris

I liked your story concept and was drawn in right at the beginning. Your actors did a great job too. Well done!

Very nice beginning bedroom scene and your rack focus shot was excellent. Noted a cool blue and soft look (nice) to most of the scenes with the exception of the "take it now" shot and the closet shot. A marked difference in the "feel" of these. May I ask if that was what you were going for?

As the piece moved along, thought that the beautiful song "Amelia" fought with the imagery a bit in places.

A total family affair? How cool is that? If I tried to get all of my family together to do a short film...well, that would never happen.

Would it be possible to have you post a pic or two of your home made 35mm adaptor? I would love to see that.

Best wishes~
Bradley
Bradley L Marlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2006, 01:42 PM   #7
Trustee

Nice Work, Chris!

Loved the mood lighting, subject matter, original music and rack focus/depth of field. Also, I am in full agreement with your message. Job well done.
Old December 27th, 2006, 01:55 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton
Nice, nice work, Chris. You and your family are all so talented! The music almost took away from the story because I kept thinking, “Dang, that’s a good song!” :)

What I want to know is, where did you get that opening sequence? That was amazing. Also, I applaud you for your camera work in low light; everyone knows how hard that is to pull off. You did it very well.
My son-in-law was an instructor at the local fire acadaemy. I shot that at a demonstration they had...Did stretch and simulated explosion in post, of course.

My brother and sister and law have been musicians for 40 years. They did the snow lodge circuit for years, and do a lot of blue grass and folk stuff... I was worried the music was too good for the film... but what the heck, I always liked that song....
Old December 27th, 2006, 02:00 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley L Marlow
Very nice beginning bedroom scene and your rack focus shot was excellent. Noted a cool blue and soft look (nice) to most of the scenes with the exception of the "take it now" shot and the closet shot. A marked difference in the "feel" of these. May I ask if that was what you were going for?

As the piece moved along, thought that the beautiful song "Amelia" fought with the imagery a bit in places.
Color correction was a rush thing, and used a bare bulb in the closet, so it was starker, and a bit different. However, I went with it because it was meant to be a stark change in the situation...

Agree that "Amelia" could probably distract the viewer, and I had planned not to use it, but in end, just used it because I thought people would rather hear that, than the old Cinescore stuff....

See pic of adapter attached.
Attached Thumbnails
DVC7- "Forgotten" by Chris Barcellos-dsc00039.jpg  
Old December 27th, 2006, 02:13 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Fossenkemper
Loved the intro. I need some of those pills, hahaha. Liked the 35mm adapter look, maybe could have used more light with it, those things eat light a lot. Fire looked great and very clean. But the bedroom stuff was a bit grainy looking which was very cool until you saw how sharp the fire scene looked. Only then did the grain in the bedroom scene jump out. I think my favorite shot is right after the first shot. I loved the camera angle and the shallow DOF of him sitting up in bed. Is your adapter a spinning GG adapter? if so, did you have any noise issues from it to deal with?
I did light with a soft light, but it was a fight keeping it look like a bedroom seen.

Adapter is spinner, yes, based pm Redrocks DIY plans. Noise meaning sound, or noise in the image ?. See pick I posted in response to Brad's above. I was actually concerned about sound noise from adapter. It buzzes a bit. Mic was off camera, ME66, and in phones I thought I picked it up, but I never heard it when I played back...
Old December 27th, 2006, 02:53 PM   #11
Major Player

I loved the lighting in this one, very nice. I wasn't sure where the story was going but you more than made up for it at the end. I won't give it away...

Nicely done,

Mike
Old December 27th, 2006, 02:58 PM   #12
Major Player

Thank you Chris

Nice adapter. That is quite the set up! Thanks for posting the picture.

Best wishes~
Bradley
Bradley L Marlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2006, 03:14 PM   #13
Major Player

man is that some setup. looks like a weapon. yeah I was talking about the motor noise being picked up. I couldn't hear it and was wondering if you took great measures to not pick it up. It looks like an on camera mic would pick it up really well though.
Michael Fossenkemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2006, 03:59 PM   #14
Major Player

This is my favorite soundtrack so far; there's a moment or two where the vocals overlap the film's dialogue, but it's still intelligible, so it wasn't a big deal for me.

I don't think his wife needs to specify that it was an "explosion" during the conversation in bed at the beginning, and there was some reverb in that scene, but the rest of the film's audio sounded superb, especially in the closet. I suspect the clothing helped prevent stray echoes, 'cause it's great stuff. And I liked the ending, though I'm not sure I would have ended on a freeze frame. Thought there was some sort of Media Player problem at first.

I see you had the gain up to nine on your camera? Impressive, I didn't see any grain. And I'm even more impressed once I read that the blue cast was intentional (I think the blacks in those scenes are a little washed out, might want to bring them down a bit). Good job on both film and adapter!
Robert Martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2006, 06:34 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Martens
I think the blacks in those scenes are a little washed out, might want to bring them down a bit.
Yeah, I was fighting that all the way. If I brought blacks down, I started to lose our hero's face, so I had to settle. I do think in conversion to either of the formats I chose, you do tend to lose more in the blacks at encoding. Seems to be an issue others have raised.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!