DVC7-Bradley Marlow "PICKLES and BLACKJACK" at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old December 27th, 2006, 12:19 PM   #1
Major Player

DVC7-Bradley Marlow "PICKLES and BLACKJACK"

Weeeeeehaaaaaa! Oops. I seem to be a bit behind on putting up a feedback thread. My apologies.

All questions, comments and constructive criticism are very welcome. Will do my best to answer and hope you enjoy the film.

Best wishes~
Bradley

PS: Am really looking forward to seeing everyones entry and as always, will be sure to leave feedback for each.
Bradley L Marlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2006, 12:39 PM   #2
Major Player

One sick video, I loved it. hahaha. great camera moves and super music. fit really well, you knew something crazy was going to happen, just didn't know what. my favorite part is when they are in the trailer and the tree topples over, very funny. In the opening scene with the couple in the grass, I thought the voices were theirs, then you realize it's not theirs, but then they are in a place that doesn't look like a trailer, then it all comes into focus at the end. Really funky bold story and the your actors made me believe that they were capable of doing it. Great job. Tell us you camera moves... what kind of dolly and crane etc...
Michael Fossenkemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2006, 01:06 PM   #3
Major Player

Loved it! You always have the craziest characters, and I mean that in a good way. Nice twists (not only one, but two)! Really nice camera moves, focus pulls, etc, also. Really good job!

Bill
William Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2006, 01:16 PM   #4
Wrangler

I hated those awful people! Not that the gal at the end was any prize, but it was quite satisfying to me when she blew them away. That dude wasn’t smelling anything after that… Overall, quite a twisted movie. What are we gonna do with you, Brad? ;)

From a technical standpoint, you did your usual, stellar job. The shots that stand out to me every time I watch it are the ones with the pink-hatted gal after the outdoor shooting. The lighting is beautiful. And your moving shots/cuts during the couch scene 2/3 of the way through really, really worked. It’s amazing how much that adds—especially when someone does as good a job with it as you do.

“You smell finer than…pancake breakfast at the YMCA.” “Oh, baby, I don’t smell that good.” LOL!
Old December 27th, 2006, 01:18 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton
I hated those awful people! Not that the gal at the end was any prize, but it was quite satisfying to me when she blew them away.
I've never been to Wyoming, but from Bradley's DVC5 and DVC7 films, I sure am getting a warped view of what Wyomingers must be like... :)

Bill
William Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2006, 02:38 PM   #6
Major Player

Thank you Michael!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Fossenkemper
Tell us you camera moves... what kind of dolly and crane etc...
So glad you liked the film and thanks for the comments.

Back when I first joined this forum, DVC #3, had purchased a book from another great member here, Dan Selakovich. "Killer Camera Rigs that You can Build".

Long story short, I built a small crane out of plumbing pipe and if you look close, might notice that the angled Trailer Shot with the tree toppling over is a crane shot. Same for the final, but going up.

Also from Dan's book, a home made dolly that looks similar to the Tushy Pushy Mike Teusch dolly. It is set up on 2 10' foot PVC pipes. One of the wide shots with the couple playing around the tree were on the dolly. Given that there was nothing real close to the lens, made it not as obvious.

Needless to say, we were freezing our butts off out there that evening. lol...talk about memories...just make a film. Right?

Best wishes~
Bradley
Old December 27th, 2006, 02:40 PM   #7
Major Player

Fun, twisted, sick, I loved it! ;)

Well done.

I also like the opening and closing scene.

Mike
Old December 27th, 2006, 02:45 PM   #8
Major Player

Thank you Bill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Gardner
Loved it! You always have the craziest characters, and I mean that in a good way. Nice twists (not only one, but two)! Really nice camera moves, focus pulls, etc, also. Really good job! I've never been to Wyoming, but from Bradley's DVC5 and DVC7 films, I sure am getting a warped view of what Wyomingers must be like... :)

Bill
Much appreciated Bill and am so happy you liked the short. Rest assured that your warped and distorted view of Wyomingers is completely off base. Must confess that there are really only 2-3 sicko's in Wyoming and I'm one of them. The place you really need to worry about is Idaho!

Best wishes~
Bradley
Old December 27th, 2006, 02:51 PM   #9
Wrangler

Hey, now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley L Marlow
The place you really need to worry about is Idaho!
LOL! Watch it there, Bucko, or I may have to come up there and...oh, never mind... ;)
Old December 27th, 2006, 02:52 PM   #10
Major Player

Thank you Lorinda!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton
I hated those awful people! Overall, quite a twisted movie. What are we gonna do with you, Brad? ;)

“You smell finer than…pancake breakfast at the YMCA.” “Oh, baby, I don’t smell that good.” LOL!
lol! The fact that you "hated" those people does my heart good. Thank you.

Best wishes~
Bradley
Old December 27th, 2006, 02:54 PM   #11
Major Player

Thank you Mike H!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Horrigan
Fun, twisted, sick, I loved it! ;)
Well done.
I also like the opening and closing scene.

Mike
Much appreciated!

Best wishes~
Bradley
Old December 27th, 2006, 03:09 PM   #12
Major Player

I liked it. I must admit I don't find it as funny as your previous entries--nothing personal, I just can't imagine characters get any better than the one you came up with for "Reflections"--and I'm not sure I'm entirely happy with the Southern accents on the dumb hicks (we have those types up North, too; "stupid" is universal), but I liked it anyway.

But enough of that, let's get to the constructive feedback, which must unfortunately be negative. First thing I noticed was the audio; pretty good most of the time, but all of the indoor dialogue has that annoying echo. It's not absolutely terrible, but there's a lot of indoor stuff, and the echo is bothersome.

Then there was the first pan and tilt move, both of which were a little uneven. Not jerky, exactly, they were smooth enough once you got going, I just noticed a couple of speed changes that bugged me.

And on the editing side of things, to go right from the happy couple dancing around the tree to showing the tree on top of the trailer (while it's a-rockin') with only a cut was a bit confusing. It just happens, out of nowhere, and it gives the impression that the happy couple are the ones inside, getting down to business. And they moved the tree to the top of their home, for some reason. I like being challenged, I like having mysteries to solve, but it didn't work here for me. Felt like an awkward edit more than an intentional "what's going on here?" moment.

Then, finally, there's the writing. "Shootin' them people while they was dancin' around that Christmas tree..." You already showed it happen, no need to tell it. I also felt something was strange about "Do you remember that Christmas a few years back, at the trailer park?" and "Yeah, but you remember what happened before that?", but for the life of me I can't imagine what it is. I think it just felt a little too "on purpose", if that makes any sense. Sorry I can't help you there, I just know the lines hit my ears weird.
Robert Martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2006, 03:20 PM   #13
Trustee

"In Cold Blood" meets Jim Varney! This one I'm trying to figure out. As usual, great cinematography that I've come to always expect (and am not disappointed this time around) but the genres... Do they mix? Er, Merry Christmas!
Old December 27th, 2006, 03:54 PM   #14
Major Player

Thank you Hugh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh DiMauro
"In Cold Blood" meets Jim Varney!
lol...thank you Hugh for the comments. I realize that this won't be everyone's cup of eggnog.

Best wishes~
Bradley
Old December 27th, 2006, 04:14 PM   #15
Major Player

Thank you Robert!

Thank you Robert for the constructive critisism. I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Martens
I liked it...First thing I noticed was the audio; pretty good most of the time, but all of the indoor dialogue has that annoying echo. It's not absolutely terrible, but there's a lot of indoor stuff, and the echo is bothersome.
I agree the audio could heve been better. Sorry you found the audio rough. I would say that is the result of a need for better mics and more time.

Quote:
Then there was the first pan and tilt move, both of which were a little uneven. Not jerky, exactly, they were smooth enough once you got going, I just noticed a couple of speed changes that bugged me.
Yes. Creative freedom with the camera moves designed to go along with the dialog and "smelling" action. As you say, smooth enough but a bit off. That was the idea.

Quote:
And on the editing side of things, to go right from the happy couple dancing around the tree to showing the tree on top of the trailer (while it's a-rockin')...and it gives the impression that the happy couple are the ones inside, getting down to business.
EXACTLY! :) Sorry if that didn't work for you but that was what we were going for. A bit of a twist.

Best wishes~
Bradley
Bradley L Marlow is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!