DVC 7 - Brent Graham - "The Rose" - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old December 30th, 2006, 01:42 PM   #16
Major Player

Thanks Hugh, I'm really glad everyone liked this.

****SPOILER ALERT - STOP READING****
On the coloring of the rose: I wanted to color it in the end to show that although we may pass away. Memories often live on. Even though his wife is gone, she is still vibrant and alive in his memories.

But I really appreciate all the kind (& constructive) words everyone has shared.

~Thank you~
Brent Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2006, 05:28 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Brent-

Wow! Beautiful film! I was completely hooked from start to finish. What a beautiful concept for him to grow the flower every year, so that its in bloom just in time for their anniversary!

My favorite shot was the one where the flower's blooming and he's standing in shadow in the doorway!

Amazing job for your first creative effort! Knowing that its your first one makes the film even better!
Jamey Hastings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2006, 05:33 PM   #18
Major Player

Jamey,

Thank you. This whole thing has been a total treat. I would have never guessed that I'd feel so great with these reviews. (actually I didn't know we reviewed until I saw the feedback thread, haha, I'm learning fast)

I'm really glad you liked the film. Thank you.
Old December 30th, 2006, 06:17 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Hey Brent,
You shot such a beautiful film. Sharp visuals, great story and location.
I love the scene when the rose is growing. Did you adjust the rose then get back into position, I see a cross dissolve so I assume that's what you did. You could have shot both scenes separatelyfrom the same shot and then mask it on the halfway line, but I think you wanted to show a passage of time as the rose grew thus using the cross dissolve. (Am I right about that?)

I think everyone here will agree that you should be nominated for the award of best looking hands in a DVC film along with Meryem. :P
Darryl Ahye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2006, 06:27 PM   #20
Major Player

HaHa, nice Darryl, funny!

Yeah, in the original concept I filmed myself walking into the silhouetted doorway standing...watching it...then walking away, over and over to show the passage of time as the rose grew...he patiently waited and watched each day.

But let's just say that going for a slow-paced-sad-feel film starring a slow-shuffling old man lead does not bode well for the 3min limit! And I was determined to keep the film itself under 3minutes!!! (I think I'm at 2min.59secs.and 20 out of 24 frames)

So I cut those filmed scenes of me shuffling into the doorway and back out again to just me standing in the doorway, then cross-faded them as you noticed. It fit time-wise and I think turned out better because the changing rose draws the focus. And we all know the rose is the star of this flick!

But yes, I have beautiful hands. Thank you! :)
Old December 30th, 2006, 08:37 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Graham
Technical Stuff:

Music: Sonicfire Pro - forget which library and which song. I really like sonicfire but I think adobe's new soundbooth will replace it.
Brent:

1. I have Sonicfire 3, but haven't gone to 4. Is that what you are using ?

2. Take a look at Sony's Cinescore, too...
Old December 30th, 2006, 11:54 PM   #22
Major Player

Hey Chris,

Yeah, I'm using v.4 - I think it's pretty much the same, they added the moodmapping but that only works when you buy their moodmapped libraries (which are too expensive for my blood).

I've looked into cinescore and it seems cool but after sonicfire, I don't think I'll be buying another sound program unless somebody really changes the technology. Plus I don't think I'd be able to keep the sound libraries I've bought for sonicfire. Oh well, as with this film, I'm usually very happy with what sonicfire and some tweaking can do.

Although, since I'm an Adobe fan, I am checking out the Soundbooth beta (http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/soundbooth/#scores) which should also have an autocomposer feature similar the others. We'll see. I think adobe is usually pretty good at out-designing their products, and if they don't out-design, they just buy (*cough* DV rack).

Hmmm, sorry about the link, my http code is turned off...oh well.
Old December 31st, 2006, 12:02 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Yeah I just downloaded their Beta. Was hoping they might have something activated of the Sonic Pro variety, but get a grey screen at this point.

I ve also used Sony's Music Studio to mess with their orchestral loops, and have dones some short pieces there. Wish I had some sort of musical talent, but I don't know anything about it really.

Edit: I just saw at your url they have some samples. I will take a look at that.
Old December 31st, 2006, 12:24 AM   #24
Major Player

Yeah, some people are just gifted when it comes to music. But if you're willing to work through it and get a feel for things on your own.

May I suggest:
http://www.amazon.com/Music-Theory-M...e=UTF8&s=books
I'd go with either this one or the idiots guide (featured in the better together bar halfway down the page)

There is definitely such thing as natural talent, which I don't have when it comes to music. But I've decided that it's worth the effort to learn it down the road.

Who knows, maybe my DVC8 entry will have music composed by me! I think next time I'll try to get some actors though. HA, I'm having too much fun with this stuff.
Old January 1st, 2007, 01:49 AM   #25
Major Player

Somewhere between your beautiful footage and my suspension of disbelief I found an entry that touched me. The single stemmed rose and the absence of a real old man didn't bother me because the story meant so much to me on a personal level. I just went with it and I loved it. Wonderful job.
Dennis Khaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2007, 03:25 AM   #26
Trustee

Very well done, Brent.

A most touching film. I noticed the hands but the story and your treatment of it carried so well the hands didn't detract in any way.

And I did like the color the rose took on as your old man left.

Bruce

P.S. I notice you live in San Antonio, we're only about 200 miles apart and I sometimes come in for annual military reunions. We might have an opportunity to meet sometime.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2007, 11:14 AM   #27
Major Player

Yeah, I think that if I'm gonna continue making creative films.

I NEED ACTORS!!!

I'm learning that part of having a production company involves more than just one man doing everything.(duh, I'm learning though)

I'm thinking I may scout the local junior college acting programs to get some talent for next time.

Aside from my acting limitations (which isn't even an argument)...

I'm really glad so many of you enjoyed the story and cinematography.

If I only had tom hanks!!!! Haha, j/k.

If anyone has tips on getting actors...clue me in!!!

*bruce - come on down man! I'd love to talk shop with you! and San Antonio is a very welcoming city if I do say so myself!

HAPPY NEW YEARS!!!!
Old January 2nd, 2007, 05:00 PM   #28
Major Player

A little dark in spots, but probably on purpose. Nice lighting on the rose as it grows. Got the sense that the reason we never saw the old guy's face was because he wasn't actually old. Really nicely composed considering you were a one man show. I liked the camera placement anyway, but even more-so knowing you were in front of the camera for them.

Smile,
Kris
Kris Holodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 08:51 AM   #29
Trustee

Yet another one that is shot very well. Things are looking too darn good around here for me to win these things. Well done with the depth of field on some shots. I especially think it works on the end shot.

I was a bit bothered by the rose itself but you could look at it as more of a impressionist thing I suppose. If however you were going for an impressionist look, you might have needed to do that with other areas as well. Still, it works well for me. Good job on this one.

Judging is sure getting hard around here.

Sean

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2007, 12:43 PM   #30
Major Player

I can hardly wait to see who wins this competition. There were such quality entries. Have we ever had a tie before?! haha!
Brent Graham is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!