DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DVC Feedback! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-feedback/)
-   -   DVC 7 - Brent Graham - "The Rose" (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-feedback/82584-dvc-7-brent-graham-rose.html)

Brent Graham December 27th, 2006 01:22 PM

DVC 7 - Brent Graham - "The Rose"

I noticed everyone starting threads for feedback and thought "that sounds like a great idea". So here's a thread I'd like anyone to use to discuss my short.

I filmed this last Saturday during the morning. I was the only person I could get to work on it, so the shots are tripod only and I'm the one actor. (hence the teenager-like old man hands) There is a shot with another person in it, but that guy was already working at the counter and he wasn't worried about having the back of his head in the shot. If I knew his name I would thank him but I've forgotten it already. After spending Saturday morning filming, I spent Saturday afternoon editing, then spent Sunday afternoon figuring out how best to compress it for submission.

This whole process was my first creative video and I had a blast.

I really hope y'all like it. Let me know what you think after you've watched it.

I'll talk about it more after it's posted.

Thanks everyone.
The first five films were great!

Brent Graham December 29th, 2006 08:15 PM

I'm wondering about today's submissions...

Dylan...you okay bud?...

I heard you got poked with a stick pretty hard...

Not too worried, but wondering if we'll have 10 movies to digest tomorrow or will we push back the days?

Also, do WE vote on this stuff or are there set judges?

Thanks, see ya.

*walks away thinking* 'Hope he didn't burst!'

Lorinda Norton December 29th, 2006 08:53 PM

LOL, Brent! Dylan is okay--see the thread below about the "Missing Man." If you're a night owl you might check in here around 11pm Texas time. He may post today's five then. Or not... :)

Everyone who submitted a film will be voting on this one.

Looking forward to seeing your movie!

Alex T. Hurter December 29th, 2006 10:12 PM

Brent I really liked the concept of the film, and the execution was great. The only thing I didn't like was giving the rose the red at the end. I don't think it was needed and sort of took away from the feel of the film. Other than that great job.

What did you shoot on and how did you compress it to make it that clean?

Mike Horrigan December 29th, 2006 10:24 PM

I really LOVED this short! It looked fantastic, and the music was excellent. The only thing that took me out of it was seeing the hands of a younger man in various scenes.

I'll even go so far as to say that you may be getting my vote thus far. It will depend largely on what Dylan releases next, but so far... "The Rose" is the one for me.

Very well done!

Bryon Akerman December 29th, 2006 10:41 PM

I liked it. i actually thought the Red rose was a nice accent at the end. the Young hands only bothered me because I read about the them here before I watched it. otherwise, I don't think it would have stood out to me that much.

Great Job!

Bryon <><

Robert Martens December 29th, 2006 10:45 PM

Wow! I hate to speak prematurely, as there are plenty of films left to view, but of all the ones I've seen so far, this is my absolute favorite, even counting entries for all six previous contests. I hate to risk offending other entrants by being so blunt, but man alive I can't say enough good things about this film. Very well packaged, professional look, and a touching story, to boot.

My only suggestion would be to make the red hue of the rose a bit more subtle, and see if you can't get rid of that thick black edge around the petals. Yes, the hands were a bit young, but it didn't bother me, and they looked old enough. Just imagine it's an old guy who moisturizes.

I see you didn't include a credit for the music; did you do that, as well? It's very beautiful.

Mike Horrigan December 29th, 2006 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Martens
Yes, the hands were a bit young, but it didn't bother me, and they looked old enough. Just imagine it's an old guy who moisturizes.

As you know... I love this film!

But a guy who moves that slow doesn't have hands that look like that. I don't care how much he moisturizes. ;)

Of course, that is just a small nitpick, and it didn't ruin the film for me in the least.

Michael Fossenkemper December 29th, 2006 10:55 PM

Looked great, nice edits too. The young guy did distract me a bit. I had to watch it a couple of times to try and get past it. But everything else looked great.

Chris Barcellos December 30th, 2006 01:06 AM

Like Mike Horrigan, the only thing that jolted me out of the films "reality" were the young hands, and the red rose. Everything else was magnificent, and I think the walking scenes were magnificent, as well as the rose growth.

Only other thought I had at the beginning was whether roses actually grow from seeds...... But thats for someone else to comment on...

Bradley L Marlow December 30th, 2006 01:14 AM

Hi Brent

Very nice film! The fact that you are another individual who did the entire film by yourself is a great accomplishment. Even better, given that this is your first creative effort.

Your story idea was quite touching. Must confess to having a difficult time with the old man/young body. When first viewed it took me out of the film, however many other aspects of the short were very well done. I really enjoyed several shots and your choice of shallow DOF. Looked great!

Coloring the rose at the end worked for my taste. As you can see, artistic freedom can sometimes be viewed in two completely different ways. Good for you on doing what you felt good about.

Best wishes~
Bradley

Lorinda Norton December 30th, 2006 05:30 AM

Wow, what gorgeous cinematography! Too bad there isn't a category just for that this time around. Lovely and flawless from start to finish!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos
Only other thought I had at the beginning was whether roses actually grow from seeds...... But thats for someone else to comment on...

This got me smiling right from the start. You guys talk about the young look of the old man's hands bringing you out of the story; for me it was the idea of a rose coming up from a seed and actually blooming in a pot--a single stem, no less--that distracted me just a bit. But it didn't take away from the concept. :)

By the way, Brent, that shot from the behind the counter......beautiful.

Brent Graham December 30th, 2006 09:44 AM

WOW!

You guys are awesome!

I'm actually shaking reading these reviews. This is really nice of all of you.

I totally agree on EVERYTHING said. Really.

If I could have gotten an old man I totally would have, but I don't know any actors and my Dad is too old to get out of bed.

And no, Roses grow on bushes and don't look anything like that while growing. I do believe they grow from seeds like most other flowers but yeah, the single stem was for simplicity on my part.

I had one day to film. So I filmed the final scenes first, then cut the rose down as I filmed the growing scenes in reverse.

I completely understand and agree with everyone's problems regarding the hands and the rose growth. They were compromises I had to make to get an entry in having only Saturday to work on it.

In fact, when I showed it to my dad the first thing he said was "those hands look too young". Haha, oh well.

Just reading these reviews has been amazing! I need to do this again! You guys are awesome! I'm really happy! I have reviews!!!

Thanks,
Brent

Brent Graham December 30th, 2006 10:00 AM

Technical Stuff:

Camera: My new girlfriend - Canon XH-A1 (she's beautiful)

Music: Sonicfire Pro - forget which library and which song. I really like sonicfire but I think adobe's new soundbooth will replace it.

I edited everything in HD using cineform on premiere. Then adjusted in B&W.

I doubled the final clip and returned the top clip back to color, then masked around the rose.

I output using premiere's media encoder, I'm never happy with quicktime but I used it so that everyone could watch without problems. I'll have to go back and see my settings, I'll post them after I find out.

Hugh DiMauro December 30th, 2006 10:33 AM

Brent:

I felt a French short film inspiration here. Wow! Technically beautiful and I teared up at the end. But then again, I am a sentimental fool. I loved it. I really loved it. I personally thank you for this movie.

(ps: Isn't Sonicfire Pro cool as all get out?)