DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DVC Feedback! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-feedback/)
-   -   DVC#7 - Meet The Rod (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-feedback/82620-dvc-7-meet-rod.html)

Hugh DiMauro December 27th, 2006 08:46 PM

DVC#7 - Meet The Rod

Okay, I'll bite. Here's the deal:

1) This movie should have been titled "Pull My Finger."

2) The lighting kinda stinks but they were quick setups to prevent actor inconvenience.

3) Sound stinks in one segment because of onboard camera mic usage.

4) With all of the wonderful, well crafted, somber, serious minded, message laden, tribute style movies made thus far, I feel kinda silly reminiscing with friends about a true incident concerning... well you'll see.

I guess I just wanted everybody to laugh. Enjoy! Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! Special thanks to my volunteer actors and the Gilchrist Restaurant on Maryland Avenue in Atlantic City (Their food is awesome!) You guys rock!

Michael Fossenkemper December 28th, 2006 12:40 PM

hahahahaha. That was freakin funny. I watched it twice and I think it was even funnier the second time. Did they know that each one was being interviewed? LMAO.

Bradley L Marlow December 28th, 2006 01:10 PM

Hi Hugh

lol...

Wow. New Jersey is more dangerous that I had initially thought!

Actually, I can relate to the poor fellow. Election Day 2006, I just got home from voting and turned into what I lovingly refer to as "The Human Windmill". No fun for The Rod!

"...they were quick setups to prevent actor incontinence"???

Best wishes~
Bradley

Lorinda Norton December 28th, 2006 01:15 PM

Eeeewwwww!!! What a memory to recount! LOL!!! You guys were pulling it off so straight—until Charlie guffaws. Even though I was already getting a big kick out of it that’s when I started laughing, too.

Why is it that “pull my finger” is universal??? The Rod’s casual recollection cracked me up, and the rest of ya’s—well the rest of ya’s with your Jersey boy deliveries were just too fun to watch. “Bind him up?” Hahah! Never heard such a thing in reference to uh…that.

Besides the characters (and you are ALL characters) the quick edits and timing are what gave this little romp through gross-out land its zing. Funny stuff, Hugh—great job!

Chris Barcellos December 28th, 2006 01:26 PM

Funny story. From the looks of the guys, I expected some sort of brawl being recounted, not, er, uh, well--- issue of incontinence...

Darryl Ahye December 28th, 2006 02:25 PM

:) LOL

Good choice of questions...I like how its vague at first and slowly the story is recalled and built up, until its obvious what they're talking about.

What happened after his finger was pulled is best left to the viewers imagination. Though it would have been funny if you shot a re-enactment. :P

Good stuff

Robert Martens December 28th, 2006 03:58 PM

I have got to show this to my dad, it's definitely his kind of movie. Funny stuff!

I think it could be tighter, though (no pun intended). For the first question or two, I can understand showing everyone giving their responses, most of which are the same. But as the movie goes on, I think the momentum should build a little more; maybe get rid of the "Who called Bob?" question altogether--not much in the way of interesting detail revealed by the various participants--and then mix the others up a bit. Cut from John saying "Well, he said he didn't want to go", to Charlie saying "I believe he had a stomach virus", then finally to Bob with "I wasn't feeling good, and I didn't want to go". The way it is, what with everybody repeating "stomach virus", it just strikes me as a bit too much.

Then perhaps later on do a similar edit pattern. Go from one person to another in a string when they're talking about the leisure suit. Back and forth, just like the virus: "He was wearing a cheap" "cheesy" "white" "double-knit polyester leisure suit", or something to that effect. I guess it might be too gimmicky to do twice in the same movie, but I think at least one of those two would work nicely.

Excellent work, you've showed incredible restraint deciding not to recreate the event. A lesser man might jump right for the visual aid and I, for one, am glad you did not. Well done.

Hugh DiMauro December 28th, 2006 08:44 PM

Thank You All!

Thank you all for you responses. You have no idea how much “cajoling” it took to convince Bob to allow us to tell the world about his accident. Believe me, at the time, it was incredibly hilarious. The restaurant was crowded. Oh, and I left out a lot.

Michael: Yes. Each interviewee knew the other had been or would be interviewed.

Brad: NJ is much more dangerous. Especially with Bob and Charlie around. Great incontinence hit!

Lorinda: Yes. I often wonder why I even chose such a sordid memory to recount. Guys will be guys I suppose. Thank you for your kind review on editing. I guess being Jersey Guys and natural “characters” was one saving grace. “Pull my finger” is a traditional lesson lovingly handed down from every father to son. Am I right, guys?

Chris: There was a brawl, of sorts. We all fought for air!

Darryl: Believe it or not, a reenactment had been considered! Can you imagine?

Robert: Excellent editing options! You really took the time to give thought to improving my movie! Thank you!

Mike Horrigan December 28th, 2006 11:15 PM

Very funny movie. Reminded me quite a lot of a few guys I know. :)

Good bunch of guys...

Alex T. Hurter December 28th, 2006 11:33 PM

That made me laugh. If you had more time some flashbacks like they use in "Unsolved Mysteries" might have been fun to do. Aside from that it was fun to watch that's for sure.

Hugh DiMauro December 29th, 2006 07:45 AM

It was more fun actually being there for real! Oh those crazy 80s! Thanks, guys!

Jamey Hastings December 29th, 2006 10:07 PM

Awesome movie! (All be it a bit gross in the end). I definately liked how serious everyone was. It made you think at first that you were building up to some serious event that happened that night...Was it hard for everyone to keep from cracking up?

Loved how you cut back and forth between the four different recollections of the same story. Its cool to see how everyone remembers parts of the same event a little differently (like who's idea it was to go out or who suggested what) but then in the end its still the same story. Very cool approach to the theme!

Major props to Bob for having the guts to let everyone hear about that FUN night. :-)

Hugh DiMauro December 30th, 2006 10:24 AM

There was alot of cracking up. As a matter of fact, every time the tale is told over coffee around the diner booth it gets funnier, hence the idea to share it with the world. Plenty of outtakes. If you think that story is funny, wait until you hear about the time...

Maybe next challenge. :-)

Dennis Khaye January 1st, 2007 01:57 AM

OMG this is one that gets funnier the more you watch it. Very nice concept, totally unexpected for the holiday season. Nice job you guys.

Bruce Foreman January 1st, 2007 04:53 PM

The problem with coming in on this one this late is that everyone has already said the good stuff.

I've watched it several times and still find it funny. Each of the guys portrays his reminiscence in a very direct, realistic, yet funny way.

Bruce