DVC 7 - Bruce Broussard - Boots - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!

Old January 2nd, 2007, 09:06 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Thanks everyone for all of the comments so far.

Sorry for being late in posting anything back, but the Holidays have made the schedule really difficult.

I appreciate the comments on the film effects being a bit distracting, I can see that they may have been a bit overdone.

We were trying for a American Chopper kind of look and feel. It seemed to match the subjects.

The marine corp stuff was definitely staying as my brother (Greg, editor and camera guy) is a former recon marine. I couldn't have paid him to take it out. Personally, I thought that it showed an extra dimension in the character of Boots. It would have been nice to do a longer piece to get more tattoo footage.

Once again thanks for the comments, I try to take them to heart to always improve on my work.

Now if your interested here is a small dissertation on how this idea came about:

The idea of the documentary came about during the week while I was trying to decide on a story line. I signed up late (on the Tuesday I think) and was really short of time for putting together a script, cast, etc. (like many of the others).

I had developed a basic story line but was having difficulty in getting anyone to commit as far as a cast was concerned, so I started trying to think of alternatives. My first idea for the documentary was just to interview some strangers in a bar to get some of their thoughts. I was putting this together but was having a hard time convincing the owner of the restaurant that I wanted to film in that it was a good idea to do during business hours. Another blow to the production. This was Thursday and I only had the rest of Thursday, Fri and Sat, to finish as I couldn't do it on the Sun (parties to attend!).

Then the idea struck me, what about the Tattoo store? So, the phone call was made, hey, we are doing a short film for a competition, would you be interested in participating? The answer was sure. So the cameras were packed in the car, a drive to the tattoo shop, releases were signed and off we went on the filming.

The entire thing was done with impromptu questions, the guys at the shop were really interested in the whole process, but a little camera shy. We filmed the entire thing in about a half an hour, editing was done on the Fri and final review and submission on the Sat.

We would have liked to refine it a bit more but just simply didn't have time. I hope everyone enjoyed it.

We are thinking about doing a public access tv program on the tattoo shop. Boots is interested. We will see...
Bruce Broussard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2007, 04:04 PM   #17
Major Player

That was so unexpected and different, and since I'm watching them all in one big marathon session it was really refreshing. I liked that the palm-corder stuff had a little treatment to it, though I would have like it better if it did every time it was used. Great "characters", interesting real life kind of people.

Smile,
Kris
Kris Holodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2007, 12:01 PM   #18
Trustee

I like this one and unlike some of the other folks, I do have a bit of time in the saddle with a few guys like this. I ride a 1999 HD Sportster (last of the real bikes by the way).

All that said, I like the way it was shot for the most part but given the feel it was heading for, more examples of the types of work and the work actually happening as well as some extreme angles might have made it feel more like one of those A&E shows. Personally, I'm not a fan of most of them but they are entertaining at times.

I like the guys too. I don't find the effects that distracting and don't mind the Marine Corp info. I might have asked the same question a second time and asked Boots to bring it up. Maybe something like "What's your worst memory" and he would bring up that he served and was wounded? Some way so it sounds less staged and that probably would smooth out the transition. It's somehow seems more on topic if you ask the question pretty open and they go there without the prompt perhaps.

Good though. I like this one too.

Sean McHenry

Thanks for the nice doc.

Sean

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!