DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DVC Feedback! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-feedback/)
-   -   DVC 7 - Bruce Broussard - Boots (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-feedback/82639-dvc-7-bruce-broussard-boots.html)

Bruce Broussard December 28th, 2006 08:05 AM

DVC 7 - Bruce Broussard - Boots

Well, I made it in for another one.

I took a a completely different approach than on the previous dvc's. I will add more commentary on the concept and the production when it posts.

I look forward to reviewing all of the entries as usual, and good luck to everyone!

Michael Fossenkemper December 28th, 2006 12:45 PM

This looked like something I would see on tv. I thought it looked really good. sound was a little spacemonkeyish but that might be the compression. I could also see you guys in the mirror, hahaha. I think I would have liked to have heard more about him, or the process of tatooing since I don't have one. I know it's a lot to ask for 3 min though. I hope that guys didn't get memories tatooed on his back.

Chris Barcellos December 28th, 2006 01:30 PM

Checked out the film.... memories of why I became a tatooist, was okay, but I wonder if shrapnel in the back of the head might have been more interesting....

Change back and forth from fairly straight video to old film effect was distracting, but I realized you may have been doing that to cover the camera in mirror....

Bradley L Marlow December 28th, 2006 01:49 PM

Hi Bruce B

This had a look and feel of something one might see on SPIKEŠ or A&EŠ TV late at night. If that was what you were going for, you did a great job!

Boots is a very interesting fellow who I'd gather has many extreme life experiences. I think your decision to choose him as a subject was a good one. The story line to me seemed a bit disjointed. Maybe finding one aspect as opposed to 2-3 would work? Difficult, I'm sure as he is quite a character.

Congratulations on making it in for another DVC entry!

Best wishes~
Bradley

Lorinda Norton December 28th, 2006 02:34 PM

Interesting characters, Bruce. Being far, far removed from the world of tattoos, Harleys--stuff like that, I liked being able to visit them/get to know them without actually being there. :) And I found it really interesting that the one guy practiced on his own skin rather than use clients as guinea pigs. That's cool.

Like some of the other folks here you sure did put this movie together in a hurry, signing up late and all. Good for you; glad you made it!!!

Robert Martens December 28th, 2006 03:29 PM

I would get rid of the Marine Corps stuff; definitely interesting, and I'd like to learn more about the shrapnel, but it doesn't seem to relate directly to the tattoo stories, and I don't think it's necessary.

I'm in agreement with Chris about the film effect. It's a bit distracting, and we can still clearly see you in the mirror, but I don't think it's a big deal, really, in a documentary/interview situation. No need to hide it, if in fact that's what you were trying to do.

It never occurred to me that they'd practice on themselves before working on their customers. Makes perfect sense, really, and I'm impressed at the skill Shane exhibited in even his earliest tattoos. Good work getting us into their world in three minutes, and great job on the open!

Darryl Ahye December 28th, 2006 07:25 PM

Great job Bruce!

That interview was done in true guerilla style. Its entertaining since I don't know about either tattoos or marines very well.
At first I thought it was a tribute to a dead tattoo artist, thank goodness I was wrong.

Mike Horrigan December 28th, 2006 11:16 PM

I'll have to take another look at this one, the download seemed to stall out on me about 1 third of the way in.

Alex T. Hurter December 28th, 2006 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton
And I found it really interesting that the one guy practiced on his own skin rather than use clients as guinea pigs. That's cool.

Actually Lorinda that is, believe it or not, very common with tattoo artists and other body modification artists.

Alex T. Hurter December 28th, 2006 11:25 PM

Looks great Bruce.

Being a body mod enthusiast I liked the subject matter right off the bat. The camera work looked great, and I agree with the other A&E comments. I would have left out the Marine core stuff, and maybe focused more on Boots himself rather than his apprentice. I wanted to know more about boots and his craft. Some shots of Boots tattooing someone would have been interesting too.

Hugh DiMauro December 29th, 2006 08:46 AM

Bruce:

I have no tattoos and actually pride myself on never giving in. With that said, I liked Mr. Boots so much that I would allow him to tattoo me. I am a people person first, kinda like your family dog. Boots is a very likeable fellow. I seem to be rambling on about Boots and pointedly ignoring the technical aspects of your movie. That's because the movie did it's job so well (just like a TV documentary) that all I cared about were the characters and not so much about "Hey! How'd they do that? Nice camera work!" etc. Oh, and it does not surprise me that Mr. Boots was a Marine.

Bruce, good work. I have a better understanding about the artist's POV on tatooing.

Jamey Hastings December 29th, 2006 07:07 PM

Bruce -

So first of all major props on taking a documentary approach! Very cool! Your opening was awesome and really got me into the film! I would've liked to see that type of pace throughout. I also really liked that you used two cameras during the interview, I too have seen that on several biography type shows on TV and really like it! I agree with some others that the film look on certain shots was a bit distracting...I think it could've worked, however, if you used it specifically when they were talking about a specific memory...that way it only occurs when you specifically want to highlight something your interviewee is saying...OR another option might be to us it everytime you switch to the other camera angle...that could ground it a little bit more too...

I really liked the character of Boots and I'm sure he had tons of memories about tattoos and about the marines, I think you could've stuck with his answers and not shown his apprentice...Also it would've been cool to hear about some memories he had attached to some of his tattoos...and some broll of him giving tattoos would've been cool too! He's obviously a very talented tattoo artist...seeing him in action would add SO much to the film!

I hope you explore documentary again you obviously have a knack for finding great "characters" and asking good questions!

-Jamey-

Dennis Khaye January 1st, 2007 02:09 AM

Yeah, I'll second that, you do seem to have a good knack for getting the story out of the people you're interviewing. Nice job you guys.

Bruce Foreman January 1st, 2007 03:54 PM

Bruce,

Very interesting and colorful subject! Like others have said here, the documentary approach worked powerfully and I disagree with the others who suggest leaving the Marine Corps references out. I've known, been stationed with, worked with, and photographed marines and I know from firsthand experience that even just one or two "hitches" in the Corps becomes so ingrained that it is forever a part of what they are.

Only thing I didn't like (and this is personal prejudice) was the use of the old film special effects here. You have such a powerful and interesting subject that I don't think the effects were needed.

I did like the two camera approach, had no problem with cameras showing in the mirrors (actually added to the documentary feel in my opinion), the music worked well, and the pace was just right.

I enjoyed it and liked it.

Bruce

Brent Graham January 1st, 2007 11:53 PM

I'm gonna second Jamey's thoughts on your documentary skills.

I'd also like to say that I'm in San Antonio and if you're ever in need of some help (grip or some crap that nobody wants to do). Get ahold of me! I'm still learning and I think I could learn some things from you.

I've always wanted to get a tattoo, and this might have sold it for me! (we'll see what the gf says!)

Really nice documentary production work, good pace, angles, edits, character. Good all around.