DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DVC Feedback! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-feedback/)
-   -   DVC 7 - "Intersection" (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-feedback/82666-dvc-7-intersection.html)

Alex T. Hurter December 28th, 2006 01:16 PM

DVC 7 - "Intersection"

Hi everyone. I'm Alex, just one third of the team behind "Intersection". This is our first shot at the DV challenge and I hope you enjoy what we came up with, we sure had a blast making it. With that being said, please leave your feedback.

Michael Fossenkemper December 28th, 2006 01:23 PM

This was great. I thought it looked great and you guys told a very clear story with no dialog. Very clean great looking image. Nice. One thing I did notice is that there is a high pitch whine on your audio.

Very funny. Loved it.

What equipment did you use on the short?

Chris Barcellos December 28th, 2006 01:24 PM

Your film left me wanting to know more about the relationship these two had... I like the film and the various shots in particular. And everything seems to fit well together. Great job.

Bradley L Marlow December 28th, 2006 01:34 PM

Hi Alex

Well done! I liked this short and how you told a story with visuals only.

At such a young age, it's too bad this poor fellow is experiencing such memory problems.

However, that fact that she simply passes him by without a glance leaves you wondering...is he really having trouble remembering the exact circumstances where they knew each other...or...is she the one with the real memory problem? eh...eh...eh. Love that.

The wide shot of her across the street seemed to have "stuff" on the lens. No biggie though.

Welcome aboard! Hope to be seeing more shorts by you and your team Alex.

Best wishes~
Bradley

Lorinda Norton December 28th, 2006 02:41 PM

Gosh, did that bring back memories! Hahaha--just kidding... :)

The only part that was hard for me (the first time through) was putting the dark-haired gal in the photo with the blonde. And then I couldn't tell that was a woman standing on the other side of the street so I got totally confused. (...and no, I'm not blonde, believe it or not.) But by the second viewing this ol' brain finally kicked in and understood.

I liked it, and agree with what Michael said about the clean image. Nice job, Alex and Company!

Robert Martens December 28th, 2006 03:16 PM

Man, I hate getting to these things late in the day; everybody's already covered most of the points I would have raised, and I feel rather useless.

Anyway, I think your tripod may have been a little off kilter for the first shot of the guy from across the street, and I also noticed a high pitched whine in the audio, but this was a nice little story, all the more effective without dialogue.

I would like to see more, though; perhaps something from the woman's point of view, recollections that show a different version of events? Maybe the guy's memories don't show us how the relationship ended, but the woman remembers kicking him out? I'm not sure how I'd change things, the ending just seems a bit too open to me.

Darryl Ahye December 28th, 2006 07:39 PM

Nicely done Alex!
Your image was nice and clean. (besides the particles we saw on the len)
The story came to me pretty quickly. I knew he was remembering her, but I would have loved to know why she shunned him (he couldn't draw? :P j/k). I thought that I could even interpret it as him fantacising about a stranger because of the flashback content. (I know its his memories)

Oh when I read the production name "Sad Robot" I somehow thought the movie would have sad robots in it. I wonder if anyone else felt the same way on that :)

Lorinda Norton December 28th, 2006 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryl Ahye
Oh when I read the production name "Sad Robot" I somehow thought the movie would have sad robots in it. I wonder if anyone else felt the same way on that :)

I did, but figured I'd already confessed to too many misunderstandings for one post. :)

Chris Barcellos December 28th, 2006 08:05 PM

Okay. What I saw on second run through was a little different. On the second look, I got the feeling he was remembering different women he had known, that the girl at the intersection looked like, and that he was a bit flustered because he couldn't remember which one, or if it was any of them.... Alex, help us out...

Alex T. Hurter December 28th, 2006 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos
Okay. What I saw on second run through was a little different. On the second look, I got the feeling he was remembering different women he had known, that the girl at the intersection looked like, and that he was a bit flustered because he couldn't remember which one, or if it was any of them.... Alex, help us out...

Bingo! If you guys look a little closer at the last shot you might get that.

Alex T. Hurter December 28th, 2006 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Fossenkemper
This was great. I thought it looked great and you guys told a very clear story with no dialog. Very clean great looking image. Nice. One thing I did notice is that there is a high pitch whine on your audio.

Very funny. Loved it.

What equipment did you use on the short?

GL2, cheap tripod from The Source By Circuit City (what was Radioshack in Canada), and the audio was done with the mic on the GL2 and we had no time for sound editing unfortunately.

Mike Horrigan December 28th, 2006 11:08 PM

Nice clear looking movie. I didn't quite "get it" on the first viewing though...

Mike

Hugh DiMauro December 29th, 2006 08:18 AM

Great use of natural sunlight that highlighted him but kept her in the dark. Were you trying for that effect? Also, I didn't catch that he had attempted to recall more than one woman. I just thought he replayed all of his experiences with that one, short-haired blonde gal who he thought stood across the street. Nice pace and editing. Great understated acting, too. Alex, you didn't overact like I did. Your "attempted recall" facial expressions were perfectly executed. Do you have formal acting training?

Alex T. Hurter December 29th, 2006 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh DiMauro
Great use of natural sunlight that highlighted him but kept her in the dark. Were you trying for that effect? Also, I didn't catch that he had attempted to recall more than one woman. I just thought he replayed all of his experiences with that one, short-haired blonde gal who he thought stood across the street. Nice pace and editing. Great understated acting, too. Alex, you didn't overact like I did. Your "attempted recall" facial expressions were perfectly executed. Do you have formal acting training?

That was something we were trying for, glad you picked up on it.

As for acting I have done some theatre acting so I needed Kim and Azia to coach me a bit to make my recall actions a little more understated.

Alex T. Hurter December 29th, 2006 11:37 AM

OK before you read this comment watch the film.

I just realized that I may have confused people with the response to Chris about the character remembering different women. Answering these after a long day of retail might be a bad idea sometimes. So to clarify the concept of the film is about a guy who sees a girl across the intersection that he thinks he knows, so he is trying to remember who she is. When they finally cross paths he realizes he doesn't know this woman at all. If you look you will see that a different actor is crossing the road when they pass each other.