DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DVC Feedback! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-feedback/)
-   -   DVC7 - Gabriel & Kenneth Yeager, "Delusional Larpers" (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-feedback/82790-dvc7-gabriel-kenneth-yeager-delusional-larpers.html)

Gabriel Yeager December 30th, 2006 11:49 AM

DVC7 - Gabriel & Kenneth Yeager, "Delusional Larpers"

Ok, here is our feedback thread.

Before we shot this, I had wrote a script and went to shoot it but all of my actors left at the last minute. So, as a result, Kenneth and I joined to make one movie.
I'll be honest, there was a bit of stuff that did not happen due to the time that we had, but I am sure that when you watch it you will see what I am talking about, and I don't want to spoil it for those of you who have not seen it. So here it is.

Its the one on the left that says "Delusional Larpers", you'll have to download it. Its 9.9 MB.
http://home.comcast.net/~crystaldrag...ns/videos.html

Please leave your feedback here and ask any questions if you have any!

Thanks!
~Gabriel

Alex T. Hurter December 30th, 2006 01:20 PM

Oh those crazy LARPers. A funny entry for sure, and I wonder what your neighbours thought when they say you fighting with pipes.

Your voice over levels are pretty low and I had to crank up my speakers to hear what was being said when the characters were coming out the front door.

Michael Fossenkemper December 30th, 2006 01:49 PM

I'm not sure I get the whole larper's thing. might be getting old. But it was pretty funny to watch. liked the star wars SFX too. why are they rolling dice?

Lorinda Norton December 30th, 2006 06:36 PM

So far, Gabriel, I haven't been able to watch this. First the download errored out, then I finally got a saved file only to read that it's not a "movie file." What the...

I'll try downloading it again.

Chris Barcellos December 30th, 2006 06:56 PM

Gabriel:

I am not even finding it a link on your web page.... will check back later.

Lorinda Norton December 30th, 2006 07:03 PM

That's because you're too much like me, Chris. :) Scroll down on the box that is marked "Under Construction" and you'll see the link there. Hope you fare better than I have!

Chris Barcellos December 30th, 2006 07:25 PM

Okay, thanks to that wonderful sleuth Lorinda, I found the link, and it worked for me.

Film was hard to follow first run through. Sound and dialogue just wasn't clear to me..... but I will admit that could have been my sound card acting up. I have being having a bit of trouble with it and I think I am going to break down and replace it. Once the film ended, I understood the premise, ie., that everyone has their version of memories. Not sure (again because of dialogue difficulties) what the dice have to do with it....

Bradley L Marlow December 30th, 2006 08:02 PM

Hi Gabriel & Kenneth

Congratulations on teaming up and getting this film completed!

Lol...I might be like Michael Fossenkemper The Wood Bender and be too old too understand the Larpers. Would you guys care to educate those of us who are too old or have been out of the loop for too long?

There was a point at 00:00:46 seconds to about the 00:01:00 minute mark where I couldn't hear the conversation very well. I could hear "what are you talking about?" and that's about it. I take it that these two have a different memory about a same event and were talking about that in this portion of the short? Is that right?

At the end, the discussion at the table was very clear! I can see the direction you were going with the Memories theme.

Best wishes~
Bradley

Gabriel Yeager December 30th, 2006 11:35 PM

Where to start!???

ok, so sorry about the wait that I put you guys and gal thru. I have been busy planning my next shoot. Lets move on, shall we?

First of all, the sound is NOT your fault! We used a cheap mic. and so the sound did not turn out well. Sorry about that. The scene where they are at the table and the counter, those are both in mic audio clips, the scene at about 00:40 to 1 minute are where we used the cheap mic to do a dub over.

Yes, the neighbors had fun watching.

Sorry about the link not working, I will look into it. Like Lorinda stated you have to scroll down on the box that has the animated gif saying "Under construction", sorry for the confusion.

As for the dice game, its called "D6", you may also know it as "D20". The game is where you role play with characters you make up and then the "game master" makes a story and you then use the dice to do your attacking and so forth. Its a fun way to get creative and hang out with friends.

As for some of you who do not understand what "larp'ing" is, here you go. You can read about it here. But here is just a fast example. "A live action role-playing game (LARP or LRP) is a form of role-playing game where the participants perform some or all of the physical actions of the characters they are playing within a pre-determined space for a pre-determined span of time. LARP may be considered a form of improvisational theatre." - Wikipedia.

These two things are what make this a funny short.

Yes Chris, that is accurate. Well one guy remembers it as just them Live action Role playing in a street, the other one remembers it the way that he fantasized it to be. So yes, I would say that it is saying that everyone has their own versions of memories. Some more Creative, and others the way it really was.

Bradley, that is right... In this little piece that is hard to hear, the one guy says "=My Ataru totally owned your Soresu", The other guy says, " What are you talking about? There was no sword forms. It was just us swinging our PVC Sabers around in the street like the dorks we are.".
So there you go, that was the translation of what you could not hear.

Thanks for watching/reading/leaving feedback! Sorry it sounds like some of you had troubles getting it to work. I will try and make it better for future work (this is the second thing I ever have shot on DV).

Best luck to you all in the DVC!
~Gabriel

Gabriel Yeager December 30th, 2006 11:49 PM

I checked the video and it seems to be working fine here. If you are using firefox, you can just click on the link and watch it in the browser without having to download it.

Heres the link to the video, you can just Right click and save as. It should work. If not, then let me know! http://home.comcast.net/~crystaldrag...s/Larpers1.mov

~Gabriel

Kenneth Yeager December 30th, 2006 11:54 PM

What Gabriel said is true. As for the bad audio there in the transition phase... I ran out of time and scrambled to get the necessary voice-over in. If I had the time to make things nice, it would have sounded a lot better, but the bottom line is that I didn't make things sound better.

A lesson learned: Make the extra ten minutes available to make something sound good, and especially when that something is a turning point for a film.

Thanks for the feedback.

Hugh DiMauro December 31st, 2006 12:32 PM

Nice choreography and just an all around fun movie. By the way, did your neighbors call the cops on "two guys out in the street beating each other with sticks?"

Thank you for the memories of what it was like to be that age while making movies for the sheer fun of it!

Bradley L Marlow December 31st, 2006 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabriel Yeager
Bradley, that is right... In this little piece that is hard to hear, the one guy says "=My Ataru totally owned your Soresu", The other guy says, " What are you talking about? There was no sword forms. It was just us swinging our PVC Sabers around in the street like the dorks we are.".

Thanks Gabriel and Kenneth! Thank you for the LARP explanation too. I can certainly see how that could be a lot of fun.

Best wishes~
Bradley

Dennis Khaye December 31st, 2006 07:50 PM

I think having fun is half the battle and it looks like you guys are doing that so keep it up.

Gabriel Yeager December 31st, 2006 08:13 PM

Yeah, thanks guys! Thanks Kenneth for clearing that up. I miss understood, sorry!

Yes, we did have fun doing, and I think we plan to continue to make star-wars films.

Now, on to the voting!
~Gabriel