DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DVC Feedback! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-feedback/)
-   -   DVC7 - Andrew Hood - Forced Recall (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-feedback/82879-dvc7-andrew-hood-forced-recall.html)

Andrew Hood January 1st, 2007 07:35 AM

DVC7 - Andrew Hood - Forced Recall

Well we have our rushed, last day dash for a short film. Script was done before that, but nothing else. And we kept it short, if you haven't got 3 mins of material, why make it 3 mins long?

Shooting at 3am in the morning wasn't so good, I couldn't retain enough words in my head at once. But we made something, no wall of shame. Makes me wonder what could be done with utilising the whole week.

Next time I'll try and make the gory bits moreso.

Enjoy, if not, you only have to endure it for 80 seconds ;-)

Brent Graham January 1st, 2007 11:07 AM

I really liked your movie!

Both actors did a great job and the concept was cool.

makes me think of all the other times people's memories have been forced into guilt.

I think I'd be hard pressed to tell a complete story in 80 seconds. Really nice job!

one thing though, as far as I can tell, I think that when you choose a camera sight line that's inline with the mans eyes while he's looking down, you also have to match the girls sight line while she's looking up, or else the shift in perspective seems to fall off balance.

Nice job! I liked it!

Dennis Khaye January 1st, 2007 12:46 PM

It never occured to me to stick a red herring in a 3 super short. LOL Very nice job you guys.

Bruce Foreman January 1st, 2007 01:51 PM

Whatta twist!

You led me along by the nose until the specific accusation of using the last of the milk.

The acting was very intense, the lighting looked good, and the pace set by the editing raced right along with no awkward moments.

The use of red color in the knife and cleanup scenes worked very well

Bruce

Bradley L Marlow January 1st, 2007 02:22 PM

Hi Andrew

There you are! Was hoping you guys would put up this feedback thread.

This was a fun movie and I certainly didn't see the end coming. For a one day filming exercise, you two did a great job!

I loved the look on Kristina's face when she realizes that he's referring to the milk. Well done.

Andrew and Kristina - is that a great Australian accent I hear?

Best wishes~
Bradley

Jamey Hastings January 1st, 2007 04:46 PM

Andrew -

Very interesting concept and well executed. It does bring up an interesting point about confessions based on interogation...In the beginning she was certain she was innocent and as the movie moved forward she started to think she'd actually done something terrible based on the...Its almost like she was about to give in and tell him the awful things she thinks she's remembering when he finally tells her what he's actually asking about!

Cool idea and very well acted!

Jamey*

Lorinda Norton January 2nd, 2007 01:23 PM

I kept hoping that the gal being interrogated would pull out that thing you guys used to end the sun’s barrage in your musical… :)

Funny story! Editing was crucial to the success of this one, and I think you did a great job. It was also a treat getting to watch you in action, Andrew, although I’m certain you’re not that aggressive in real life. (Right? ;)

Michael Fossenkemper January 2nd, 2007 01:40 PM

I didn't see the ending coming at all. I had a problem playing the file back smoothly though. Just wondering if anyone else had the same problem?

Andrew Hood January 2nd, 2007 08:01 PM

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I was expecting things to turn out worse given how rushed things were. Using the full week would help a lot, but it's amazing what pressure can do to make you work harder.
I also remembered some good advice I read somewhere; be ruthless when you edit. Sometimes less is more.

Those are Aussie accents, kind of stuck with them, for better or worse.

It's a fair change from DVC5 where I was behind the camera for a good reason - self imposed (and also because nobody else could operate it properly). But now I'm doing some local theatre, so that's made a big difference. And Kristina's done a few plays. Actually how we met.

I'll get around to doing something with a larger cast one day.

Lorinda, I'm normally more sedate, but everyone has their moments. This was taken over the top purposefully. Acting is actually a good release, it's like therapy, but cheaper.

Michael, which version did you download? I figure your PC specs are not the issue, maybe it's trying to use a different decoder or something.

Kris Holodak January 2nd, 2007 08:23 PM

Good one. It felt a bit like you were trying to use the 'did you use the last of the milk' like as a transition. It started out as strong as the rest of the interrogation, but ended softer. Did you try other takes? One completely hard, one completely soft, and this one in the middle? I want to say it would have worked better as a completely hard line, but I'm not sure. It's certainly one of those things in editing where you just have to find the performance that works best.

Smile,
Kris

Sean McHenry January 5th, 2007 08:27 AM

Another nice one. Had me going too. I am however wondering who actually got bumped off? Random stranger? Milk man?

Good misdirection. I like the red coloring on the memory. I personally would have muted it a bit but it looked pretty good. I can't really fault it for anything on first viewing but the eyeline thing from an earlier post makes sense. You should probably stick with the looking up at him and down on her idea. Profile shots, I would split the difference I suppose.

WA lens on the closeup of you? You get that rounding distortion which actually works well there. They used to do that when doing POV shots to represent paranoia or madness in the old movies, especially to faces.

Sean

Sean McHenry January 5th, 2007 08:29 AM

Another nice one. Had me going too. I am however wondering who actually got bumped off? Random stranger? Milk man?

Good misdirection. I like the red coloring on the memory. I personally would have muted it a bit but it looked pretty good. I can't really fault it for anything on first viewing but the eyeline thing from an earlier post makes sense. You should probably stick with the looking up at him and down on her idea. Profile shots, I would split the difference I suppose.

WA lens on the closeup of you? You get that rounding distortion which actually works well there. They used to do that when doing POV shots to represent paranoia or madness in the old movies, especially to faces.

Sean