DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DVC Feedback! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-feedback/)
-   -   DVC #7 Tony Edgar - "Afloat" (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-feedback/82973-dvc-7-tony-edgar-afloat.html)

Tony Edgar January 2nd, 2007 12:46 PM

DVC #7 Tony Edgar - "Afloat"

I would like to hear some feedback from you guys. Good, bad, comments, questions??...
Thanks!!!

Michael Fossenkemper January 2nd, 2007 01:13 PM

I thought it looked great. A lot of really nice things in here. Acting, Lighting, editing, audio. really top notch. I think the only thing that wasn't super strong was the theme. But everything else was really really good. The girls in the short skirts didn't hurt either.

Brent Graham January 2nd, 2007 01:21 PM

I think Michael hit it on the head. I had the same thoughts.

I must also second the whole 'school girls in skirts' theme, not a bad idea. :)

Bruce Foreman January 2nd, 2007 10:32 PM

I liked the way the camera work was done, nothing weak there.

And the acting!

Whew! Varying degree of "spoiled rotten, bad girl, BRAT" portrayed very well.

I kept wishing the gal who lived there would enter just as they were reaching for the door to leave.

But your story was told best by the way you did it.

Very good job.

Bruce

P.S. Sorry I took so long in commenting on this. I did so many over the last two days this feedback got lost in gritty eyelids. I watched your entry several times (as I did all others) so I could make my comments based on fair evaluation and get things right in my own mind.

(Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.)

Mike Horrigan January 3rd, 2007 07:45 AM

This was shot very well. I guess you managed to gather up some people who could really act, well done!
They played their roles very well.

The image was a tad blue, but I expect that you intended it to look that way.

Mike

Kris Holodak January 3rd, 2007 09:54 PM

Good acting. It ran long, but the story had reeled me in enough that I didn't notice until it was over. Definitely held my attention.

It seemed like there was a bit of a blue tint at first, which I thought was a stylistic choice you'd made, but then later it went away so I'm left wondering if it was a white balance issue.

I'm curious, how come only one of the girls got a credit? Also the writer didn't get a credit, and deserved one, it was good writing.

Smile,
Kris

Tony Edgar January 4th, 2007 10:28 PM

Thanks for the comments guys! Keep them coming... I'll add those credits in, I guess I missed them rushing to get this up on time. As for the blue I'm not sure what went on there... the camera settings never changed and we got the blue by gelling the lights. This was also shot all handheld so if anyone is wondering why it's a little shaky that's why...

Jamey Hastings January 4th, 2007 10:37 PM

Tony -

Your film totally held my interest...I kept waiting for the girl to have a change of heart about robbing her dad's girlfriend, but in the end it made sense that she didn't have a change of heart and just took the picture...lol of course if he ever looks for it he's going to know right away who stole all the other stuff...

I'm debating whether I liked the private school girl bit or not...on one hand it worked because it fit the "spoiled brats stealing money and a computer for the fun of it" story you were going for...on the other its such an overused image...i dunno...just something to think about

you had a great cast and i'll second whoever wrote that the writing was excellent too!

Jamey*

Sean McHenry January 5th, 2007 12:51 PM

I mirror what the others said. Looked very good. The acting was very good as well. The blue cast probably doesn't add anything for me unless it's supposed to be dark outside? I know folks will colorize segments in post for effect and that's fine but I didn't quite understand it as it was used here. That's about the only thing I have on this one other than how good it was otherwise.

It does however feel like the memory part, although important to the story, isn't the theme of the piece, which is also OK for me. It's in there so that makes it fit the challenge rules and it's fine.

Well done.

Sean

Dylan Couper January 9th, 2007 06:23 PM

Hey Tony, had to leave some feedback. This was one of my favorites of DVC7 and for me was the best produced short we had. The only teeny flaw was that it didn't really run with the theme. The story itself was very good, also one of my favorites. I actually put you very high in my own voting, but alas....

Mike Teutsch January 9th, 2007 06:48 PM

I totally agree! It would have been my first pick except that it needed something, like a twist at the end. Without it, it just died.

I thought it was the best looking, and the actors were great! With some little twist at the end it would have had my vote.

Can't wait to see your next entry.

Mike

Tony Edgar January 12th, 2007 04:04 PM

Thanks for all the comments guys! I have to agree with you, the story did need somthing else to it to make it a little more exciting.

Michael Y Wong August 5th, 2007 11:27 PM

The movie was awesome! ;)