DVC7 - Mat Thompson - "Remember when" at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old January 4th, 2007, 05:11 PM   #1
Trustee

DVC7 - Mat Thompson - "Remember when"

Hey guys

Well putting this togther was a lot of fun. It was all done in 2 days and my girlfriend did a great job with the crying ;) !!

I have viewed it since on a couple of other screens and my LCD is definately too bright. It was meant to be dark but it looked too dark on one of the other sreens I viewed it on.

I have had bandwidth trouble with my hosting, so for those who havent seen it....I've uploaded it to putstuff as well.

http://putstuff.putfile.com/33713/2413010

Look foward to some comments and feedback.

Cheers for now
Mat
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 07:22 PM   #2
Wrangler

Nice to see you, Mat. Hope you’ll peruse the other movies and feedback on them; it’s half the fun of making these. :)

Isn’t that frustrating about monitors? I’ve wrestled with that many times, so I sympathize. On my monitor it looked dark—probably more as you intended.

Speaking of sympathizing…gosh, this piece is so incredibly sad I feel like I should offer my condolences! It was, however, very well executed in the acting and shooting—you and your girlfriend did an excellent job. You had some lovely camera angles, and your movie flowed nicely. Well done!
Old January 4th, 2007, 07:30 PM   #3
Major Player

Very nice camera angles, especially on the girl. The music set a good tone - though the mix between the music and the voice made him hard to hear. The editing and pacing were very good. I was expecting it to be him dead and not her, so that was a good twist. (Anyone count how many of us were remembering dead people? I'm feeling a little morbid now.)

It didn't seem dark on my monitor, but I think every one of us will have had a different experience with that. It's one of the things I find really frustrating about doing web video. Even if I manage to get my monitor calibrated, my average viewer's isn't. So you never know how it's going to look for people.

Smile,
Kris
Kris Holodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 08:05 PM   #4
Major Player

I enjoyed the slow pace of it. Definitely sad. Angles were great, music fit the mood. The whole video had a softness to it that at first felt like the focus was a bit off, but lent to the mood and seemed like it was on purpose. Did I mention sad? Oh yeah. Nicely done.
Michael Fossenkemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 10:26 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hey Mat -

I almost started a feedback strand for you after I watched your film, because I thought it was really good and wanted to tell you that! I totally didn't see it coming that she was the one who died and not him...so excellent turn around!

You had some beautiful images and the teardrops falling on the letter were just beautiful! It pretty much made me cry too!

The only thing that bothered me a little bit was th phone ringing...I know you were wanting it to be really loud and pull the girl away from the letter, but maybe it could have come in a bit more gradually...ie...the first time it rings its soft as if she's not hearing it...then it gets louder and louder...I dunno I debated for a while whether it would have the same effect that way or not...lol just might be something to try and see...

Overall though...great job on making a beauitfully moving piece!

Jamey*
Jamey Hastings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 11:33 PM   #6
Trustee

Mat,

I liked it just the way you presented it. The people were believable, the camerawork just what was needed to tell the story and yes, you fished me in too.

I had no problem with image tones looking appropriate to the mood on my monitor, either.

I liked what you did. I'm a sucker for that kind of story.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!