DVC #8 - The Lottery Will be Televised at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!

Old April 30th, 2007, 10:09 AM   #1
Trustee

DVC #8 - The Lottery Will be Televised

Welcome to my feedback thread. Hope you enjoy(ed) my little entry. I'll explain after it's been published for mass consumption. Thanks for stopping in.

More to come. Now, sleep.

Sean

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 10:36 PM   #2
Trustee

Equipment used for my short

Well, everyone seems to include what they used, except me so here's the short list of what I used in mine:

Camera - My trusty Sony DSR PDX-10 in 16:9 native mode
Mic - None. (Yep, all sound effects, some music and ambient stuff)
Lighting - Natural Sol
Tape - Sony DVCam
Sticks - Bogen/Manfrotto 3011Bk
Head - Bogen/Manfrotto - 501
Editor - Avid Media Composer, Software Version

Props and stuff:
Plastic Masks, Cheap Fedora hats, Barcode temp tattoos, 4 black balloons, 2 white balloons, plastic white Lilly's, Black Jeep Wrangle Unlimited (my new car), Picture of my dad and some computer stuff.

Total cost, about $70 or so. (I bought the entire cast fancy chocolate bars as a thank you)

Looking forward to seeing what the others have done.

Old May 9th, 2007, 09:19 AM   #3
Inner Circle

You got me to watch it two times, right off. Reminded me of that first Mac commercial in the 80's, 1984ish Orwellian ??. This one makes you dig for a meaning... thought provoking. And the filming style changes interestingly, and I am sure intentionally from scene to scene.. I'm interested to see what others make of it...
Old May 9th, 2007, 09:26 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I found it quite interesting too... Totally had a Orwellianish feel to it. The end shot with the winner? looking up was almost creepy... My head hurts...

Good one though!
Old May 9th, 2007, 09:26 AM   #5
Major Player

Interesting film styles and editing choices. Conveys the theme well, though it was too deep for me or I too deep for it so I struggled to find meaning in it. I suspect that experimental films like this are supposed to do that though: provide an audio-visual experience that each viewer finds his own meaning in. ??

Bill
William Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2007, 09:39 AM   #6
Trustee

Thanks everyone. Sort of the ideas I was going for. Actually it's based on a combination of several ideas. Orwells "1984" is the most in your face concept but there is also a bit of "THX1138" in there and "The Island".

The concept was a bit more easy to come by in the original version but I didn't have the crowd of people I thought I would have so it got harder to convey the message. What it was intended to be is this:
The government controls the population through the televisions, government sponsored drugs (mandatory for everyone) to make all of society docile and sheep like. Every night the state sponsored Lottery comes on and allows one individual to be "freed" from this drugged controlled life. Natalie, at the end, is the result of the "freeing" of the person. Obviously not free.

In the short the people getting out of the jeep are a sort of "Prize Patrol" and they gather the "winner". They have flowers, not obvious but they are white Lilly's (foreshadows a type of death) and balloons. The one white balloon escapes. Represents Natalie escaping. In the end, like the ruined Natalie we see the balloon has come to rest but is also ruined.

Yeah, I may be pushing symbolism a lot but the artistic films of the early century, and David Lynch, very much intrigue me, a lot.

Still, creepy feeling are my present to you all. Hope you enjoyed it a bit. I enjoyed making it.

It's always interesting trying to explain this sort of idea to people in the shots. Some get it, some don't and some don't really care. It all works so well sometimes. I'm just happy to be making these and I owe it all to DVC2 for getting me started.

Sean

Old May 9th, 2007, 09:52 AM   #7
Trustee

I forgot, Bill, that's exactly it. As my hero, Lynch says, everyones interpretation is valid. Whatever you get from it is as good as the next person. It's interesting really because it place art in reach of everyone if no interpretation is wrong, or dumb, or right on. All are valid.

He staunchly refuses to explain anything in his films as he wants you to get your own experience from the piece. I love that.

Sean

Old May 9th, 2007, 10:00 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean McHenry View Post
Thanks everyone. Sort of the ideas I was going for. Actually it's based on a combination of several ideas. Orwells "1984" is the most in your face concept but there is also a bit of "THX1138" in there and "The Island".
Happens to really liked the THX1138 and The Island, so by the time I got to read this, I was mumbling in my head that this has the same theme, good stuff man! :)
Old May 9th, 2007, 10:24 AM   #9
Major Player

I'm so depressed now - but in a good way. :)
Only thing missing was a nice big bowl of Soylent Green.
Ronn Kilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2007, 11:56 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Weird stuff. I loved it :)
Old May 9th, 2007, 12:50 PM   #11
Trustee

Quote: Only thing missing was a nice big bowl of Soylent Green.

There is this little known band called Synth Punk Disco Panzer (well worth checking out) that has a tune that's so superbly mellow - "Eating People is Wrong".

Tuesday is Soylent Green day!

And for those that like this sort of style, check out my DVC5 entry, "Memories of a Dream", On Google Video, Grouper, YouTube and now on the MTV Italy web site, http://en.qoob.tv

Sean

Old May 9th, 2007, 01:04 PM   #12
Trustee

Hey Chris, guess who did those Mac spots...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=OYecfV3ubP8

Ridley Scott just after finishing Blade Runner. Loved that spot for it's dark overtones. Much the same reason I loved Brazil. Looks familiar, smells and tastes familiar but something is wrong, just plain wrong. I love that sort of feeling.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1984_(t...ion_commercial)

Sean

Old May 9th, 2007, 01:47 PM   #13
Wrangler

Well now, Sean….that was pretty darn weird! Just the way you like it. :)

Thank you for not pulling a David Lynch; I really appreciate you offering an explanation here. It helped, for the most part.

Interesting shots and look to this movie. Guess the only question I have is how you got across that field. Stabilizer?
Old May 9th, 2007, 01:56 PM   #14
Major Player

I liked this one. I liked the look and tone of the images. The story itself could use some more arcing, it seemed to be more like a single scene than a story. But I really liked the visual treatments, I'm now wishing I had time to color treat my film!

Oh well...

Very nice job.

*edit, just read your story explanation above...shoot, missed that. My bad.
Brent Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2007, 01:59 PM   #15
Regular Crew

This was some deep stuff. After I watched this I was like "whoa". This film is definatley a thinker. I mean that in a good way too :)

Also dig the Ohio State shirt on one of your actors ;)
John Brickner Jr is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!