DVC #8 - Bill Gardner "The Remote = Control" - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!

Old May 7th, 2007, 07:49 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Wilkat View Post
i enjoyed your film a lot, i particularily enjoyed how you told the story without the need for the two characters to communicate verbally. it's challenging to do that and you did it well, their body language and actions more than made up for it.
Thanks! Chalk that compliment up to our actors, who pulled off the emotions without any lines!

Bill
William Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 09:24 PM   #17
Major Player

Bill,

Awesome job! I loved this short! So funny watching the relationship battles simplified into 'who has the control'. What were your quicktime compression settings, really clean.

The shots were nice. The actors did a great job. And really your post-production was great, the audio, the supers, everything was flawless.

Loved it.
Brent Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 11:18 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Hey Bill,

Great film! I love how you showed the progression of a relationship through the eyes of T.V. Very clever! It makes me wonder what my T.V. thinks when it watches me? haha! Anyway, I loved the backwards text and the voice work was awesome!

Jamey*
Jamey Hastings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 11:41 PM   #19
Major Player

Well Bill, you know I'm already a fan, but I really loved this little gem. Especially the reverse SD vs ?? supers etc. (although I immediately questioned the 16:9 screen that has rounded corners :).

I already told you I found it depressing but clever. If I were going to change something, it'd be the end. I'd make the couple discover compromise, in a funny way. She'd change the channel to something girly, then she'd fall asleep next to him, and he'd change it to wrestling or NASCAR, all the while holding her next to him. Just for 5 seconds, then cut to black.

I'd also throw in a quick shot of the cat sneaking in to claw at the sofa when they're not around.

Still, nicely done.
Ronn Kilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2007, 01:26 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Great idea, and very well done. Will be tough to vote in this contest.
Anders Risvold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2007, 01:42 PM   #21
Space Hipster

I very much liked this film. I did think the husband was going to call a dating service, order girls gone wild or divorce lawyer at the end (girls gone wild advertise a lot during late night sports shows), but a well executed piece, creative, well-acted (which make it stand out) and memorable.
Old May 8th, 2007, 09:08 PM   #22
Major Player

As has been said, this was a very effective use of non-verbal communication. A lot was said with a few gestures. And the changing sets told a story on their own. The acting was excellent. Only thing I didn't like was the ending which seemed a downer, but then again not everything has a Hollywood ending.
Ruth Happel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2007, 07:23 AM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth Happel View Post
Only thing I didn't like was the ending which seemed a downer.
I would say for the guy the ending was more of an "upper". :)

This was fantastic. All I can say.

I would submit this to some more film festivals.

Jeff
Old May 11th, 2007, 03:11 PM   #24
Major Player

DO NOT READ THIS POST UNTIL AFTER YOU HAVE VOTED!!!!

REALLY!!! I MEAN IT!!!!

OK, did you vote? Yes? Keep reading. Didn't vote? Stop, don't keep reading!!!

All right. A few folks were disappointed with the "downer" ending of The Remote = Control, so I've recut the ending in a new version. This version doesn't count for the DVC8 competition, so if you haven't voted yet, DON'T LOOK AT THE NEW VERSION and only judge the original version!!!

Now, if you have voted, I'd be interested to hear if you think the new ending is an improvement. I've sent this to a few folks already and most seem to prefer the new ending. Regardless, if you have the time, I'd really be interested in hearing if folks like the new ending or not.

The new version can be found at
http://www.wrgardner.com/film/RemoteControl

Note that the original, DVC8 version is still available at the initial links Dylan posted. I haven't changed anything there.

So, if you have an opinion either way, I'd like to hear it. And if possible, just send me an email with your opinions rather than clutter up this thread (click on my name to the left of this post and click on "Send email to William Gardner").

Thanks much!
Bill
William Gardner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!