DVC8 Fredrik Larsson - Hello at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!

Old April 30th, 2007, 04:37 PM   #1
Major Player

DVC8 Fredrik Larsson - Hello

Starting the feedbackthread for my shortmovie now. It was made with a Sony HDR-HC1, Rode NTG-2 mic, XLR-adapter box et c.

I have a couple of questions where I would appreciate your opinion.

- Do you think it's too long?
- Was the dialogue sound ok? I tried gating, compressing and a lot of other different stuff cause I got som mic humm but in the end I thought it sounded best without doing anything. Guess I need to hang around the audiocorner and get some more ideas. The mic was also placed on a fixed position so sometimes it could sound a bit distant.
- Did you get the story or is my imagination goofy? :D
- How was the acting? It was my friend's first attempt but (like you know) I have done a couple of other shorts.

All I can think of at the moment... All questions/feedback is appreciated. :)
Old May 1st, 2007, 01:22 AM   #2
Wrangler

I can answer one of those questions without watching your movie, dear Fredrik:

Yes, your imagination is goofy.

:)
Old May 10th, 2007, 10:00 AM   #3
Major Player

Nice, ambitious entry. I like the changing "looks" between the office scene and the "memory" scenes and other scenes. I liked the doctor's doodle at the end... :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik-Larsson View Post
I have a couple of questions where I would appreciate your opinion.

Well, it was fine as it was but you probably also could have been a bit more aggressive in the cuts and it still would have worked while being a bit shorter and faster.

Re: cuts. The cuts between the doctor and the patient probably could have been a tad faster. I think I noticed the doctor turning his eyes towards the camera a few times, and an earlier cut could probably have avoided this.

Quote:
- Was the dialogue sound ok? I tried gating, compressing and a lot of other different stuff cause I got som mic humm but in the end I thought it sounded best without doing anything. Guess I need to hang around the audiocorner and get some more ideas. The mic was also placed on a fixed position so sometimes it could sound a bit distant.
I thought that the audio sounded fine. I did notice a change in the background noise with some cuts between the doctor and the patient during their conversation. You might want to do an audio cross fade on cuts like this to make those audio cuts less noticeable.

Quote:
Both! :) I followed the story fine, I think... :)

Quote:
- How was the acting? It was my friend's first attempt but (like you know)
I thought that the acting was fine. No issues there for me.

Good job,
Bill
William Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2007, 10:01 AM   #4
Trustee

The sound and lighting were great. I loved your choice of exteriors and the gritty, color reversal look of your hallway interiors. Nice, how the tables were turned.
Old May 10th, 2007, 10:03 AM   #5
Wrangler

This...is a safe place... :)

That was cool, Fredrik!!! I loved the way you colored your “thinking back” footage, and the frame rate (I guess that’s how you did it) –particularly on the segment with the stairs/surveillance camera.. (Your gesture at the camera took me by surprised and I laughed before I remembered I really shouldn’t. :)

As for the story, at first I thought, “Hmm…this is the second psychoanalytical piece he’s done; I hope he’s all right.” LOL! But then I got right into it. Funny, funny, funny clips in there, and a good, solid story. You took me to the end wondering how it fit the theme; I thought, “I hope Fredrik didn’t think it was ‘cameras’ again.” ;)

I think you scored big with this one. Not only are you an interesting and very good actor, you told a great story.
Old May 10th, 2007, 12:00 PM   #6
Major Player

I liked the look of this piece. The rail yard scene was well framed and I'm guessing you waited for the golden hour on that one, nice work. Looked great.

Very clean edit to the camera view in the stair well, worked perfectly for such a dramatic change in viewpoints.

nice work.
Brent Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2007, 01:59 PM   #7
Major Player

Hi Fredrik!

Bob is Flip Off Fredrik?!?!! Sweeeeet.

I too liked what you were doing with different looks for the past. The "This is a safe place" line with your finger move was hilarious! Was that a Teddy Bear drawing?

Interesting story too.

I cranked up the speakers and thought the sound was good overall. Seemed to hear different types of ambient noise for each character. Maybe try recording 30 seconds of room tone for each set up. You can use that in your editing to get a more "consistant" tone. A cross fade, as William mentioned would help too.

Otherwise - great job! Always fun to see your stuff.
Old May 10th, 2007, 10:57 PM   #8
Major Player

For a while there I thought that both rolls were played by the same person...they look similar...both did a nice job acting

My favorite shots were the ones outside...they seemed very crisp and well framed and it gave the end and final impression of the film strong impact.

It had humor mixed with a bit of a dark side.

Good job
Old May 11th, 2007, 12:02 AM   #9
Major Player

I really enjoyed the stories within a story- very complex for such a short film. The scenes with the doctor were especially fun- the drawing was out of nowhere since he had up to then given the impression of being sincere and attentive.

The ending, with him looking into the tv, as the real world passed by below him, was great.
Ruth Happel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2007, 12:38 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Fredrik -

I really liked your film. Both you and your friend did a great job with your roles! I love the fact that the guy that sets up and watches? surveillance cameras is afraid he's being watched! Very ironic!

The ending was really creepy, I almost thought maybe the psychologist was watching him, so that he'd keep coming back for more appointments...you know to keep him in business. lol it was a funny/creepy idea!

G'job!

Jamey*
Jamey Hastings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2007, 08:25 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Hi Fredrik,

I like your film, it was creepy and a great idea! Plus a Programming C# book in the background was really cool! ;)

Quote:
Yeah, I think it was a little too long. Probably could have cut it down a bit and made it move a little faster.

Quote:
I also think the audio background seemed to jump between cuts... maybe a crossfade as was mentioned before... or something...

Quote:
Got the story and liked it. The watcher is being watched... cool.

Quote:
- How was the acting? It was my friend's first attempt but (like you know) I have done a couple of other shorts.
The acting was ok for me. Actually, I think acting and editing improved as the short moved on. Almost like a tv show that gets better in the 3rd season or something... hmmm... another layer of the story? :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!