DVC #8 - John Brickner Jr - "T.V. S.H.O.W" - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!

Old May 9th, 2007, 03:00 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean McHenry View Post
OK, that's just silly enough to make you both big stars - on YouTube at least. Great dialog. I might have spelled it "foo foo fists of fury". I laughed quite a bit myself. Good show.

Overall: Go-Go T.V.S.H.O.W.

Sean
I think the offical spelling is "foo foo" but I liked "fu fu" better to coinscide with his ass kicking abilities. Oh and about the YouTube thing. Well, it's always been a dream of mine to become a internet celebrity. ;)
John Brickner Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2007, 03:03 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders Risvold View Post
Hi John.

Being raised with 'revenge of the ninja', I think you had a very good idea there :)

I do think the movie could benefit from shorter dialogue, and some better framing.
I did noticed in post that in some parts it doesn't flow well. Next time i'll make a better use of angles and cuts to break up some dialouge. Thanks for the comments.
Old May 9th, 2007, 07:06 AM   #18
Major Player

Funny and goofy! I think the end credits shot could have been your "pilot" episode.

I think the guy in the hat was very good and he would have been more interesting with close ups and tighter editing.

Fun to watch...thank you
Old May 9th, 2007, 09:49 AM   #19
Major Player

Goofy but fun if you don't take it seriously :) I loved the interaction between you and your bro, cool stuff! :)
Old May 9th, 2007, 10:20 AM   #20
Major Player

This was a totally fun film to watch. Silly and goofy, with you as an actor in on the joke about how the bunny star couldn't quite make it on his own (needed a hand- literally and figuratively). As would be expected, acting between you and your brother was very natural- you should collaborate again.
Ruth Happel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2007, 02:08 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hendricks View Post
Funny and goofy! I think the end credits shot could have been your "pilot" episode.

I think the guy in the hat was very good and he would have been more interesting with close ups and tighter editing.

Fun to watch...thank you
That scene was going to be used for something else but it ended up on the cutting floor but I loved it sooo much I had to leave it in. I just used it as a "Bonus" scene. People are telling me around here that I should make a series of the ninja vs the bunny. Kinda like a Spy vs Spy from MAD.
Old May 9th, 2007, 02:12 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth Happel View Post
This was a totally fun film to watch. Silly and goofy, with you as an actor in on the joke about how the bunny star couldn't quite make it on his own (needed a hand- literally and figuratively). As would be expected, acting between you and your brother was very natural- you should collaborate again.
Thanks Ruth, me and brother have always had good chemistry. If fact is started back in the day as kids when we would "act out" our favorite movie or tv show.
Old May 10th, 2007, 11:27 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Hey John,

Your film was really fun to watch. I'm sure there are people out there who come up with ideas very similar to those of your main character and I'm sure they also have friends who roll their eyes in much the same way as your brother's character did. I think that's what made it so funny! lol it actually almost reminds me of some silly movies me and my friend would make in junior high and the beginning of high school...we sure thought they were great, but eesh looking at them now I just cringe! :)

The dialogue you had between you and your brother was great and I like your use of Little Bunny Fu Fu instead of Foo Foo! Very nice play on the whole Kung-Fu aspect! A few people have already said this and I agree you film would have benefitted with a variation of shots. You tended to stay wide for most of your dialogue scenes...If you have time next go-round try to shoot the whole thing wide, then go in and shoot it again with a tight shot of each of your actors. I think you'll be really happy with your editing options and also I think for people watching it'll break up the dialogue a bit so it doesn't seem too long...because I don't think your dialogue was too long it just might've seemed that way when the shots stayed wide the whole time...lol I hope that made sense. :)

Jamey*
Jamey Hastings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2007, 01:48 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamey Hastings View Post
Hey John,

Your film was really fun to watch. I'm sure there are people out there who come up with ideas very similar to those of your main character and I'm sure they also have friends who roll their eyes in much the same way as your brother's character did. I think that's what made it so funny! lol it actually almost reminds me of some silly movies me and my friend would make in junior high and the beginning of high school...we sure thought they were great, but eesh looking at them now I just cringe! :)

The dialogue you had between you and your brother was great and I like your use of Little Bunny Fu Fu instead of Foo Foo! Very nice play on the whole Kung-Fu aspect! A few people have already said this and I agree you film would have benefitted with a variation of shots. You tended to stay wide for most of your dialogue scenes...If you have time next go-round try to shoot the whole thing wide, then go in and shoot it again with a tight shot of each of your actors. I think you'll be really happy with your editing options and also I think for people watching it'll break up the dialogue a bit so it doesn't seem too long...because I don't think your dialogue was too long it just might've seemed that way when the shots stayed wide the whole time...lol I hope that made sense. :)

Jamey*
Made perfect sense Jamey. I'll definatley use that advice next time around. Also, I used to make a ton of stupid movies in high school. For example, we made a movie about Teddy Grahams getting masacred. Also, I did a faux MTV Cribs of my parents house. Good times.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old May 14th, 2007, 09:08 AM   #25
Wrangler

Ok, regulars know that I hardly ever post feedback to people unless it is specially requested. But I've got to say something about this film.

John, you've got a great sense of humor. This is probably the only movie that got me to laugh out loud. Even better than that, is it was well paced, and showed a good sense of timing. You have the potential to be a contender down the road. Study cinematography, line your shots up a little better, get some reaction shots (it'll sell the dialogue), and work just a little bit on directing the actors (even if you are playing "yourselves"). You've got the groundwork, which is imagination and humor, and if you keep practicing between now and DVC9, you are going to place somewhere in the top films.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Brickner Jr View Post
People are telling me around here that I should make a series of the ninja vs the bunny. Kinda like a Spy vs Spy from MAD.
YES! YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! I thought this was the best part of the film.
Old May 14th, 2007, 10:23 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Dylan,

I sincerley appreciate your comments. And not only that I want to thank you for running such a fine contest. I've learned so much in the two DVC's i've been in. It really is cheaper than film school ;). Also, I will definately take your's and everyone's feedback to heart. And I want to thank everyone who did leave feedback on my film. You are all excellent film makers.

-John
John Brickner Jr is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!