DVC8: Fictional Reality - Hugh DiMauro at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!

Old May 1st, 2007, 04:48 AM   #1
Trustee

DVC8: Fictional Reality - Hugh DiMauro

Feedback thread.
Old May 8th, 2007, 09:40 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Okay, we give up, Hugh, you win......

Edit: (great acting, great scene selection, great camera work, great story,..... on and on and on....)
Old May 8th, 2007, 09:55 AM   #3
Major Player

:)

I agree with Chris. Loved the characters and the acting. Loved the camera work (especially the early shots, like the slow pan across the crime scene). Very much enjoyed the premise of the story.

SPOILER ALERT: I'm embarrassed to admit that I didn't understand the ending. He was put on hiatus but his fictional character helped find the killer? Was that it? Or did I miss something? I was all set up for a killer ending (no pun intended) and was confused...

Great work, Hugh!

Bill
William Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2007, 10:04 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Wow, I think this was my favorite of the day, it was well done and the acting seemed good. I too expected a different ending, but overall, I liked it...
Old May 8th, 2007, 10:09 AM   #5
Wrangler

WHOA!…..My socks blew off at the opening scene and the awe just kept going. I totally agree with Chris—we give up! You win!!!

I absolutely love the rich, big-budget look of this film. Besides that, your story is first-rate, the actors all did great in their roles—it’s just a complete package.

You all should be really proud of this film. I’m going to watch it again; be back with more thoughts later. :)
Old May 8th, 2007, 10:23 AM   #6
Wrangler

Nicely done, Hugh! I heard the one actor stumble on his lines once or twice. But other than that, it's flawless, man. Great camera work with angles, movement, and framing. Which camera? XL2?

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2007, 10:24 AM   #7
Major Player

Way kewl on all levels. I was expecting a tighter full-circle ending. When he yelled "gun" I thought it would go into a Sam Pekinpah slo-mo blood bath :)

Glad they finally got to light their see-gars in the end - a la "Independence Day."

Kudos.
Ronn Kilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2007, 10:52 AM   #8
Major Player

Hugh,

Very impressive production value. I'm inspired to achieve this quality (some day). I like the concept. Really entertaining, kept we wanting to know what was going to happen to him. The ending felt odd though. But overall, nice.
Brent Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2007, 11:36 AM   #9
Trustee

Thank You

Gee Chris, thanks! Here’s my secret (at no charge): We had tons of fun making it. And that’s pretty much all it takes. Fun, enthusiasm and plenty of food for the actors.

William, you summed up the premise perfectly! He continued watching as the crime was solved even though he hadn’t been at work to know the crime was solved! He had no idea what was going to transpire because he had been forced by that mean old cactus of a lieutenant to take a restful vacation. As far as the ending, well, who needs sound effects when you see the bad guy getting zipped up in a body bag?

Josh, I am glad you liked it and am beginning to think that maybe I should have shown the bad guy getting plugged full of holes? I guess I didn’t want to show gratuitous violence.

Lorinda, I really appreciate you seeing that “big budget” look. You know, I never had that in mind while I shot it. My “big” budget consisted of a bottle of Jack Daniels, Dole Almonds (in bulk from Sam’s Club), Bookers 124 proof small batch bourbon (I knew Bruce loved the stuff), $5.00 worth of gas to fill up our prop detective car, a sandwich tray, case of generic soda and one hard drive that my sound man accidentally knocked off Mike’s hope chest during the bedroom scene when he tripped over an extension cable.  All in all, I got off pretty cheaply.

Greg, Chris the cactus stumbled over his lines more than that (if you watch the behind the scenes short you can actually see and barely hear him drop the “F” bomb during the opening scenes after he flubbed his lines. A riot!) Chris improved his character by tailoring my scripted lines to better suit his delivery style. I tend to write formally so when these jokers read my lines they came back with “I don’t talk that way! That sounds stupid! This is what I’m gonna say and how I’m gonna say it!” It worked. They had total freedom to improvise. Panasonic DVX 100b in 24pa, DV Rack and some good old, 500 watt Smith Victors with CTB gels to balance the overhead fluorescents.

Ron, <<bowing low>> Your Royal Sphincterness, I always appreciate a fellow Peckinpah fan! I wish you would have told me that before I finished. I would have taken you up on the offer to end the movie that way. Although, if the filming dates stayed the same, I might have been caught in the rain that night because just after the last shot, it started raining.

Brent, when you have fun on the journey, your results will surprise you just as my results had surprised me (well, not totally surprised since I used DV Rack on all interiors and knew what I was getting. But you get the idea).

I guess my ending needed a bit of tweaking. Thank you all for taking the time to watch and be sure to check out the behind the scenes short. You can see Bruce drunk, belching and angry at me for plying him with the almonds that he feared just might constipate him the next morning!

Last edited by Hugh DiMauro; May 8th, 2007 at 02:18 PM.
Hugh DiMauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2007, 12:21 PM   #10
Major Player

LOVED IT!!

The ending was too abrupt and kind of caught me off guard, but overall this was a VERY strong piece of work.

It really kept my interest and the characters were great!

Very nice work!

Mike
Old May 8th, 2007, 12:23 PM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh DiMauro View Post
I guess my ending needed a bit of tweaking. Thank you all for taking the time to watch and be sure to check out the behind the scenes short. You can see Bruce drunk, belching and angry at me for plying him with the almonds that he feared just might constipate him the next morning!
Naw....No tweaking necessary. The title and your approach gave you tremendous leeway and I think the ending wrapped it all up just fine.

I have to echo all the things everyone else said, in one way your film had a "gritty" reality to it with just the right touch of the surreal that your actors pulled off great. It was good to see "The Rod" again and what a job all of your actors did!

I really liked it.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2007, 12:27 PM   #12
Major Player

Hi Hugh!

Bravo Hugh! If it's sh#* or get of the pot, I'd say you had a major dumper!

This was an absolute joy to watch. The cinematic quality and production values were fantastic. You put a lot of thought into this piece and it shows.

I enjoyed the outtakes too. lol.

Please tell Bruce, Michael, Christopher and Brian they did an excellent job with thier roles.

Now - help a little hick from the sticks out and define the following words (as they mean in street terms): "Bac-a-la" and "Stu-gatz". :)
Old May 8th, 2007, 12:45 PM   #13
Regular Crew

This was fantastic. I was glued to my monitor the whole time. I was alsp confused by the ending until you explained it. Such a great a film on all aspects great job!! My favorite thus far.
John Brickner Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2007, 12:56 PM   #14
Regular Crew

wow

That was a contest killer !

Too good production value. Take it as a compliment, but when I'll review the entries for my scoreboard, I'll consider the resources you had at hand and 'demand' surperior everything. :)
Anders Risvold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2007, 01:25 PM   #15
Trustee

Mike, thank you. The characters just made this movie. I am so proud of these guys.

Bruce, you fell into the same trap as many people: The Rod wasn’t in this movie! Many people mistake The Rod for Chris Possumato and vice versa. When these two guys sit together at a table, everybody thinks they’re brothers! Personally, I think they look nothing alike. But, that’s because I know them so well. The Rod was actually pissed he wasn't in this movie but heck, who told him to go out of town for nine days? The putz! Thanks for your kind words.

Brad, your compliments are much appreciated since I have always found your cinematography incredibly stunning. Thank you! As for Chris’s street slang Italian, Baccala is rock hard, dried salt codfish. You soak it first before you eat it. Plain and simple. Stugotz is Italian slang roughly translated to mean getting shafted, or screwed or not getting what is expected. “I get stugotz!” I get crap, I get the short end of the stick. I certainly didn’t get stugotz with this bunch. Thanks again, Brad. You looked like you had a ball in Vegas. I recognized your prop glasses from the Memories DVC theme!

John, thank you! There have been so many excellent entries thus far and I know more to come.

Anders, believe it or not, the resources were pretty simplistic. I guess when people see police cars, they think “big movie” because how often do us independents ever get to use such things? I will do my best to refrain from such use again in order to guard against exploitation. Here’s the thing: It was an easy setup because we’re all cops. I want to give credit to those guys in my movie. They seemed genuine because they’re the real deal. Bruce is our lieutenant in charge of our homicide unit. Mike is a detective in our homicide unit. Chris is a retired Atlantic City Police detective and our young, shotgun toting criminal is a second generation Atlantic City Police officer (and a saint to agree to get zipped up in a body bag! Yeah, once he slid inside we made the obligatory "pre-use" jokes). So the real challenge is to get these guys to play plumbers in my next movie. Actually, I finished writing my next movie. Chris is a bartender, Bruce is a former Eastern Airlines pilot and Mike is a real estate agent. I can’t wait to start filming.

Thank you all.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!