DVC 8 - Lorinda Norton "Techno Dad/TechNO Mom" - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old May 9th, 2007, 02:46 PM   #16
Trustee

Hey Bruce:

I just read your post and laughed my @** off!
Old May 9th, 2007, 02:51 PM   #17
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Brickner Jr View Post
My mother kept referring to the mouse as the "rat".
LOL, John! “The rat.”

Sometimes I get frustrated because my mom calls me about the current problem she’s having with her computer. It’s always, “Something’s wrong with this stupid computer…” and then she proceeds with how she’s locked it up somehow or can’t get something to work.

It makes me feel especially good that a young guy like you liked this movie. It’s kind of sleepy, and I was pretty worried in that regard.

Brent, unfortunately, my mom doesn’t have the strength in her hands like she used to, so Dad had to load the shotgun for her. I’ll say this, however—she fired off four shots and wasn’t the least bit sore later. :)

I have to admit (and reiterate) that I was so concerned about not wasting you folk’s time I rushed this one on purpose. For the DVD I’m making my parents maybe I’ll stretch it out some.

Bruce! So nice to see you here. We missed watching a movie from you this time around.

My mom will be pleased to know there's a man in this world who's wanted to shoot a television. Like Ronn said, I've sometimes wondered if there is a "remote gene." :)
Old May 9th, 2007, 04:57 PM   #18
Major Player

Hi Lorinda!

What a charming movie! I loved your parents - they were both excellent.

Funny thing is that I actually identify with BOTH of them. Haha. Sometimes I like all the latest gadgets while other times, I just want to take them out for a little R and R with the 12 guage, like your mom. What an impressive shot she is. Wow! (If I ever come to Spudville, I'll be sure to be on my best behavior).

That is some box of remotes!

Now, a few more questions/comments.

Your sis did a great job too. Perhaps you can tell us what DVD she had in her hands?

"Fox Mulder the Dog" Perfect! How cool is that?
If it hadn't been for Crash Malone and NAB...beauty of 16:9" - hahahaha!
Old May 9th, 2007, 05:03 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh DiMauro View Post
Hey Bruce:

Ditto on Bruces post. My eyes are still tearing up from laughter......
Old May 9th, 2007, 05:25 PM   #20
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
Ditto on Bruces post. My eyes are still tearing up from laughter......
You all will have to excuse me; as Hugh and Brad know I was sedated this morning for medical reasons and still don't know what time it is. ;) I hate it when a good laugh passes me by! Oh well, Bruce, tomorrow I'll read your post again and it'll be brand new...

Bradley, aka Crash Malone! Yes, you converted this ol' 4:3 gal for good. :) I will be sure and tell my family what you said. They already feel like they know my pal from Wyoming so they'll be pleased. As for the DVD in Julie's hand? I have no idea. Guess there'll have to be a sequel. ;)

p.s. About the box of remotes, my dad would have commented, "I made that box, ya know." :)
Old May 9th, 2007, 05:55 PM   #21
Trustee

Confession Time

Know why I don't watch TV any more? I don't know how to use my roommate's remote.

Pitiful, isn't it?
Old May 9th, 2007, 09:38 PM   #22
Major Player

I really enjoyed this film. I thought both your parents did a great job acting. Your mom's shooting was impressive! Was the pile of remotes a prop, or do they really have that many? That would be enough to drive anyone to shoot up the tv! As others noted, a very professional look- great dolly work, excellent lighting- just fun to watch.
Ruth Happel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2007, 11:02 PM   #23
Wrangler

Thanks so much, Ruth—I’m glad you liked it! Yes, I’m afraid all those remotes are my dad’s, though he surely doesn’t really “need all of them to make it work.” :)
Old May 10th, 2007, 11:47 PM   #24
Major Player

Like many others...my parents have the same EXACT issues. How funny things are in this world as people get older. I am assuming that the script was written based on real events...

The word that comes to me from this film is kindness, gentelness (until mom bolws up the TV)!! but after that we get back to the kindmess and gentle soft feeling of this fun little piece. I even liked the soft look of the video itself it really added to the feel of your film.

One question...are you using the same DIY doly that was in the outtakes from the previous post? Because your dolly techinque was flawless. If you did make it yourself would you share your plans?

Good stuff

Thanks

Jeff
Old May 10th, 2007, 11:57 PM   #25
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh DiMauro View Post
Hey Bruce:

Well, actually there's a little more to it. I'd never even known the guy, I ran a computer BBS (1996) and he had trouble logging on to my system so I offered to look over his terminal program and see if I could help.

He was some older than me and I'd only had my Texas Concealed Handgun License about 3 weeks.

He dropped the hammer on a live round behind the back of my head and I came "unglued". When I got turned around he was standing there slowly lowering the gun with a stunned but stupid look on his face and smoke curled up from the muzzle.

That's when I notice the TV was suddenly silent, 3 inch jagged "wound" in the center of the glass. First thought after panic attack was "where did that round go"? So we got a flashlight and checked the outside of the house for "exit wound".

None found.

Back inside pulled TV out of entertainment center and back of TV was intact, so the round stayed inside the TV (thick glass absorbed tremendous amount of impact energy).

Next thought was "Gotta get the helloutta here before the cops come." Surely someone must have heard the shot, and I could see this old geezer pointing at me saying "he dunnit". I didn't know if involvement in an incident like that would be enough to get my license suspended and didn't really care to take the chance.

But I helped him load it in his pickup before I left.

Lesson learned: NEVER take your eyes off someone with a gun!
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2007, 12:55 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Lorinda -

Your parents did a great job in this film! You could barely tell they were acting! They reminded me so much of my Grandparents...Grandpa loves all his gadgets and his T.V. and Grandma barely ever watches and when she does I'm not sure she knows how to turn it on. I think what made your film so lovely is that we can all relate to it...

The line about the old TVs just having On and Off was delivered so beautifully...loved the hand motions. The daydream was fun too!

G'job!

Jamey*
Jamey Hastings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2007, 12:59 AM   #27
Wrangler

Dang it, Bruce--you coulda been killed! Good lesson, that is for sure. :)

Jeff, thanks so much for the comments. My parents will be pleased to hear them, too; they've been enjoying what I've shared and now believe me when I tell them there can be great people on this evil old Internet. ("You need to be careful about people you meet online...they could be dangerous!")

As for the dolly, I am proud to say it was built for me by DVC's own Mike Teutsch. He sent it to me as a surprise. Talk about thrilled! I use it whenever I think it fits a situation and I love it. There's a thread around here that shows a picture--maybe in the stabilizer forum. If you can't find it I'll ask Mike, although I think he just builds them--doesn't generally give out plans. Thanks for the compliment on the work; glad you didn't notice that bobble in one spot. :)

Edit: Thanks, Jamey! They weren't really acting--this has gone on for years. The only new word I slipped to my dad was "TiVo." Doubt he knows for certain what it is!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!