DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DVC Feedback! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-feedback/)
-   -   DVC 8 - Breaking News - Jamey Hastings (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-feedback/92969-dvc-8-breaking-news-jamey-hastings.html)

Jamey Hastings May 1st, 2007 10:32 PM

DVC 8 - Breaking News - Jamey Hastings

Well...I didn't get my laundry done while making this film like last time, but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I'm totally looking forward to your feedback! :)

Brent Graham May 2nd, 2007 02:11 AM

Awwww...

I liked your laundry!

Well...looking forward to this time around.

Later skater.

Hugh DiMauro May 11th, 2007 10:39 AM

I loved your lower thirds and frenetic, documentary interview approach. Your audio levels might have been a bit low but then again, it could be my computer. I loved your use of escalating tension and pacing. An amusing movie.

William Gardner May 11th, 2007 03:55 PM

Well edited together, and good use of text effects to provide that combination of a News feel and a Documentary feel.

Bill

Brent Graham May 11th, 2007 05:06 PM

Okay this was awesome. Very well shot and edited.

And I freakin' love your sound engineer, he's so laid back! All the characters were hilarious.

Amazing job. Really enjoyed this one!

Jeff Hendricks May 11th, 2007 09:11 PM

Cool "mockumentary" concept

I found it great that the sound guy had a raspy voice and complained about not being able to hear.

The end with the news person on location was funny too...

Good visuals and terrific acting made this an excellent picture

Good job

Jeff

Ruth Happel May 11th, 2007 09:12 PM

I liked the fast pace and sense of tension, with liberal doses of humor thrown in. It had a very "real news" feel with the footage of the station, juxtaposed with some zany sections in the field. The rapid cuts made for a nice pace, constantly moving the story. Really entertaining film to watch.

Jamey Hastings May 12th, 2007 11:44 AM

Hey all,

Glad you guys enjoyed it! Thanks for all your feedback. Lol they'll all be so happy to hear that their "acting" worked out! For the most part I had people playing and talking about their real jobs only in a slightly exaggerated form (the producer, the reporter and the editor are the only exceptions). I definately wanted it to be a a very real feeling mocumentary, so I'm excited that you all think it had that believable documentary vibe!

The audio guy, Robert, was THE BEST! He's my new star I think! In a few parts I gave him an idea and he'd just come up with the best improvisation for it! Other times he would just go into his own really fun ramble about something! Everyone actually did a really great job of that! I came up with the story line, the questions and the type of character I wanted them to play and for the most part they just came up with their own answers. I thought that would add to the believability of the mockumentary to just let them go in a very unscripted way.

Glad you enjoyed it so far and can't wait to hear what everyone else thinks too...where is everyone? lol

Jamey*

Mike Horrigan May 12th, 2007 10:25 PM

Loved the "finger exercises" bit.

You did a really great job with this one. I really enjoyed the documentary style that you went with.

The editing was top notch as well.

Great job!

Mike

Lorinda Norton May 13th, 2007 12:42 AM

Sorry, Jamey—I’m out of town but borrowed my son’s laptop for the evening. I'm glad I finally got to watch your movie. :)

All the people you interviewed did a great job! I enjoyed watching the audio guy, too, but what kept making me smile were all the deadpan responses—particularly the camera guy at the gas pump. Your editing had much to do with that, making the whole thing lots of fun. (Camera guy’s Channel 11 cap cracked me up before he said anything. :)

Lots of good lines in there, plus lots of good characters. Nice shooting, too!

Bradley L Marlow May 13th, 2007 12:34 PM

Hi Jamey!

Well done! Loved the documentary style approach.

You have some wonderful characters in this film. Yes the finger/sound guy was hilarious. (I think his name was Sam).

Has anyone ever mentioned that the female reporter Jill Lacey has facial expressions like Chloe from 24? She did a great job.

Jamey Hastings May 13th, 2007 11:23 PM

Mike - Thanks much! We had fun with the finger exercises bit too! When I was shooting B-roll I asked him if he could do an "exercise exercise punch move," but I never expected him to say it outloud like that. I'm so glad he still had the mic on for it!

Can't wait to see your next short!

Lorinda - Glad you liked the characters...haha I'll have to tell the guy who played the photographer at the gas pump that you enjoyed his performance...lol I think he was jealous that the audio op was getting all the attention. :) Awesome that you caught the hat so early on! :)

Bradley - Glad you enjoyed! lol the reporter, Jill Lacey, was actually me...and no...I've never heard the 24 reference. I haven't seen the show much...haha I'm assuming the facial expression comparison is a good thing..:)