DVC8 - Ronn "The Remote" Kilby at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old May 2nd, 2007, 08:27 AM   #1
Major Player

DVC8 - Ronn "The Remote" Kilby

Feedback away, pixel monkees. My first attempt at this, and I may have taken too much of a "cartoon" approach. I mistakenly thought there would be a notification email so didn't get started until 4/27. Wrote on Friday, called actors. Shot Saturday morning. Edited Saturday night/Sunday morning. Encoded and posted Monday. Next time I'll pay attention :)

Sony Z1U, Avid Media Composer. Hope you enjoy.

Last edited by Ronn Kilby; May 2nd, 2007 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Add photo
Ronn Kilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 08:55 AM   #2
Major Player

Just watched it...

Funny/Weird/Strange

I liked it!

Nice costumes as well. :)

Mike
Old May 7th, 2007, 09:27 AM   #3
Wrangler

Hey Ronn,

What a way to start out the Challenge viewing! I laughed my head off at some of your details--that leader's gloves and some of their other "attire" just cracked me up.

Good, funny story, loved your bluescreen work; you really pulled off a fun piece in a short amount of time.

Thanks for starting out my day with a good laugh! :)
Old May 7th, 2007, 10:17 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Ronn:

Fun one. Enjoyed it thoroughly, and thought it was a great entry !! This is first one I looked at, but it looks like great start !
Old May 7th, 2007, 11:34 AM   #5
Major Player

Hi Ronn,

(my formal reply for the thread :). Nice job! Love the concept, the production, and particularly the costumes! :) Great to see creative problem solving like that...

Nice work,
Bill
William Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 01:11 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Love the lightsaber on the belt. I was hoping he'd bust it out but oh well. Good work.
John Brickner Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 01:12 PM   #7
Trustee

Yes, your sphincterness? The planet Shlong? Yellow Playtex gloves? Very cute. First off, I enjoy movies where the working class shlub screws up and I love the deadpan, patronizing way Smeglar, the Central Command boss, treats him like a butt-kisser! And Valdor? He has a great movie face! That cleft in his chin serves him well. I agree: good green screen work, too. I liked the story and your style of movie making. I really liked the two central characters and hope to see them both again.
Old May 7th, 2007, 01:52 PM   #8
Major Player

Hi Ronn!

Any movie that uses the word "sphincter" is A+ in my book!

Creating new words that can't be found in the dictionary is also terrific and I really enjoyed to goofy dialog. lol

Well done. This was a lot of fun and I thought you did a great job with the props and bluescreen too.
Old May 7th, 2007, 03:55 PM   #9
Trustee

I also liked it. Good use for those left over 3" CDs too. Good humerous moments, good delivery overall (might have been tighter on Fearless Leader but everyone did well.)

Overall: Good stuff indeed.

Sean McHenry

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 05:29 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I too loved the use of the CDs. Pretty funny!
Old May 7th, 2007, 07:43 PM   #11
Regular Crew

i second josh on that cd comment... and it makes me wonder the possibilities of what other life forms would use cd's for...? hrm!

it made me think a little about adam sandler's movie, Click, what with the universal remote and all but i think i liked your take on it much better though!
Bryan Wilkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 09:39 PM   #12
Major Player

Ronn,

This was one random film! At first I was like "waaah?", then I got to the CDs for ears and was like "waaaahhh?!". Haha, the costumes were funny, and the green screen work was pretty good. What program did you use? Also, did you have to mirror his reflection onto the floor by hand or was that a program setting like ultra?

I agree with Bryon on the 'Click' feeling...but who cares. It was funny.
Brent Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 09:55 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Hey Ronn,

I really loved your concept! Nice job doing comic sci-fi in 3 1/2 minutes! I watched it twice and both times the phrase "all schlangmar could ensue" just cracked me up! Great job with your dialogue! Nice play on the word "universal remote" too!

There was only one thing that confused me...Why did the normal remote cause the bomb to go off while the universal remote he sent only change the channel? Did the fun aliens reprogram it? Was the gift to Eartha (lol awesome name by the way) designed to blow things up? lol one little line about this might've clarified a bit....or maybe I'm just slow picking up on the sci-fi :)

Overall totally enjoyed your movie! G'job!
Jamey*
Jamey Hastings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 10:45 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Horrigan View Post
Just watched it...

Funny/Weird/Strange

I liked it!

Nice costumes as well. :)

Mike
Thanks Mike - my shlangored perfecta response exactly!
Ronn Kilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 10:51 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton View Post
Hey Ronn,

What a way to start out the Challenge viewing! I laughed my head off at some of your details--that leader's gloves and some of their other "attire" just cracked me up.

Good, funny story, loved your bluescreen work; you really pulled off a fun piece in a short amount of time.

Thanks for starting out my day with a good laugh! :)
Mucho Thankos, Lorinda. Some of the more esoteric details should be credited to my son, Sean. The two "alien" actors also brought their own ideas to the session, most of which I had to "reel in" due to them being over the top - which is just the way I like it! Really creative guys who love doing this stuff. The main thing is we all had a great time and many Cervezas before the shoot was done.

I promise a more studied solution next challenge :)

Last edited by Ronn Kilby; May 7th, 2007 at 11:26 PM. Reason: typo
Ronn Kilby is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!