DVC 8 - Anders Risvold 'Hypnogazed' at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old May 8th, 2007, 01:52 AM   #1
Regular Crew

DVC 8 - Anders Risvold 'Hypnogazed'

Sorry, didn't notice this side forum.

Hypnogazed was unfortunatly a bit rushed as I was going on vaccation, and I had to chop down on the original idea. But it's done, and you get the general idea.

Filmed on Xl-2, using a lowel prolight and omni light. Effectslab DV used for grading, tv stock footage and sounds from digital juice.

EDIT: oh yeah, I also notice I compressed it too hard :) Tried getting the file as low as possible.
Anders Risvold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2007, 05:34 AM   #2
Trustee

Hi Anders

Your movie had a mezmerizing, cerebral quality to it, if that makes sense. It looked polished but made me feel like I was on heavy meds, kind of like I felt after my knee surgery! Is that what you were shooting for? I have to say that physically feeling a movie is a rarity for me. Good job.

Last edited by Hugh DiMauro; May 8th, 2007 at 06:06 AM.
Hugh DiMauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2007, 06:29 AM   #3
Major Player

Very Twilight Zone/Mystery Theater!

Mesmerizing...
I'm sure if you had a little more time you could have fleshed it out a tad more.

Interesting film on its own though.

Mike
Old May 8th, 2007, 09:04 AM   #4
Wrangler

The look of this one is what caught my eye--that sort of bleached out effect. "Effectslab used for grading"...would you explain that for me? I'm not too bright about such things. :)
Old May 8th, 2007, 10:01 AM   #5
Major Player

Mesmerizing is right. Heck of a job, especially for a one man crew. It reminded me of one of the entries in DVC5 when the theme was reflections and one of the guys got trapped in a mirror. Very intriguing to watch.

Nice work,
Bill
William Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2007, 12:53 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I watched this like three or four times looking at the spinning object in the TV. Crazy trippy.
John Brickner Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2007, 12:59 PM   #7
Regular Crew

loved the lighting, great job!
how did you make the spinning ..uhh..."thing"?
Bryan Wilkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2007, 01:11 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Hi, thanks for the kinds words.

Yes, the general idea is a kind of twisted reality with the very life essence sucked out from the very beginning. Was actually quite hard fitting this in, I had to make a deal with the missy that I could rig the living room after 22.00h, and pull it down at 24.00. I had to spend 2 evnings, one for the black dropdown setup and one for the rest.

The idea is a blend of the 80 movie amazon woman on the moon and a twilight episode where a hobby filmmaker finds his footage growing a bit every night, adding new material he didn't film.

'Grading with effectslab' is just that. I used an application to 'colour correct', and that software is called effectslab DV. Kind of a particle/composing/grading software I use when out of time, as it is faster (for me) to use than after effects.

btw: I really don't like doing all by myself, it never turns out the way I intended.
Anders Risvold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2007, 01:29 PM   #9
Major Player

Hi Anders!

Very nice job!

I too was somewhat mesmerized by your film. I even have those dark circles under my eyes now and the neighbors are getting restless.

Great use of sound and music too. I liked your choices and felt they contributed well to the mood. I liked the cinematic look you achieved as well.

I always applaud the efforts of a one man show as I know how difficult that can be. You did a wonderful job.
Old May 8th, 2007, 03:54 PM   #10
Trustee

Anders,
Welcome to the group. Good animation - reminds me of two things, Cube and the Umbrella Corporation (Resident Evil).

I like the switching from B&W to color, etc. I do that myself at times, especially in my entry this round. I can really appreciate the darkness of the piece.

Overall: 3 thumbs up (aka, nice one)

Sean

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2007, 08:09 PM   #11
Major Player

I like the atmosphere of the film a lot. And the ambiguity of the end, where he appears to get sucked in by the creepy spinning thing, and then tv life just goes on without him. Very interesting effects, too- nice job.
Ruth Happel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2007, 09:57 AM   #12
Major Player

As I find myself with quite an imagination, I quite expected the ending, but then I wanted to see how it's done, I like the looks you've chosen and that 3D stuff is well chosen for the purpose together with the sound.

Good stuff! :)
Old May 9th, 2007, 10:23 AM   #13
Regular Crew

I agree with the masses...your film was mezmorizing! I think anyone who watched it could've been just as likely to get sucked into the TV from watching that creep 3D object...:)

Loved the black and white too!
Jamey Hastings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2007, 09:24 PM   #14
Major Player

Cool experimental feel....it has been a few day sice I watched it and I can still see that weird thing moving randomly on the screen.

I liked how the charcter's eyes darkened.

Nice job.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!